WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mistwalker

Fishing with a gill net.....,

Guest blacksmith

well we are trying to get him to get a puppy

I wouldnt rely on fish alone, and if the food source couldnt support many mouths I would definitely look for another. The net making skill definitely has a place in the woodsman's/survivalist's lore. Especially combined with other skills, different types of mediums to make the net, different applications of the net itself.

We have some pretty big rivers up here in Alaska. Fish harvesting isnt a way of life for the natives because they "like to catch fish", it happens because it is pointless and stupid to ignore fishing as a resource. Over time the Natives have developed quite a few ways to gather the "salmon" - major subject in itself.

So yeah, I will most likely work on learning how to make net after participating in this thread, and set that aside as a skill I have learned, and hopefully apply it someday along with all my other projects I have going.

Especially after thinking back to all the ways people in the old times had to learn to develop fish harvesting as a resource, and on to becoming the industry it is now.

Guest blacksmith

I know but we are trying

So yeah, I will most likely work on learning how to make net after participating in this thread, and set that aside as a skill I have learned, and hopefully apply it someday along with all my other projects I have going.

Nets come in different forms and can serve several uses, not just fishing. They can be used as hammocks to sleep up off the ground...., cooler and much safer in some areas. In a damp musty environment they are good for storage of some things because they allow air flow and light. There is a form of net tying that is like a chain link fence when finished, it's just woven and not tied, but I don't personally know the technique. Braiding comes in handy too, as if you have enough 50lb twine you can braid it into a 1000 lb rope. These are both good crafts to have a basic knowledge and understanding of as one never knows what one's options and recources will be when a major problem arrises

A rough drawing of how to tie the net.

paracordgillnet.jpg

A suggestion…

Another type of net is to start out just as mistwalker did in the rough paint drawing above. Next bring the top line you have tied the strands onto around and tie it to itself like this:

Net1.jpg

That now creates a “bowl shape” and the line that was once the top of the net will now become the bottom of the net.

Net2.jpg

Tie the side seam rows closed.  After you've continued to tie knots around in rows and increasing the depth of the bowl shape, there will be short ends remaining that can be tied to a “hoop” made from a branch to scoop up fish. If later you decide that the holes are too big in the net, weave some grasses, reeds, etc. into it.

I've made a few of these, the one in the first photo was an experiment to practice tying the knots evenly. The net second photo I gave away after finishing it.

Guest blacksmith

that is good work you can make money fixing net seine net up here they pay real good for that

Thank you both for the compliment.  I thought most fishermen mended their own nets?

Hmmm, net mending in Alaska..... sounds good to me, especially in the summer!

Guest blacksmith

yeah most net goes south because there is noone that can do it up here but you have to work on the boat to

I've made a few of these, the one in the first photo was an experiment to practice tying the knots evenly. The net second photo I gave away after finishing it.

Good looking work, great skill to have. I'll have to try some of these round nets when I have time.

Guest smallgamehunter

i know the U.S. Army survival guide fm21-76 has a very detailed line drawing on how to make a very effective gill net from 550

i know the U.S. Army survival guide fm21-76 has a very detailed line drawing on how to make a very effective gill net from 550

Hey..., I tried to get as detailed as I could on M.S. Paints...., without spending a half hour at it anway lol.

Guest smallgamehunter

just figured i would mention it cause the diagram you were using looks alot like the one in the guide

Good lol, I did the diagram from memory of that section of the manual having read it several years ago, and having made gill nets from scratch during my fishing days.

Guest smallgamehunter

i will be first to say that those gill nets do work but they take alot of time to make.

We filled the back of a pick up truck level full with carp one time with gill nets on the Mississippi river.

Guest smallgamehunter

im more of  a hoop net or trotline kind of guy when it comes to fishing in a commercial sense or large scal survival fishing

I had a buddy that moved to Chester south of you for a couple of years and made a living commercial fishing there. Thats the guy who had the nets when we caught the carp. He found the Ohio River was much better for fishing and drove across the state. It didnt freeze much during the winter and he made good money. My wife and I took our big boat down there one summer and stayed in Cave in Rock State Park and line fished the Ohio with dip cheese. We caught all the catfish we wanted down there. Great fishing. Deep water.

Guest smallgamehunter

i got kinfolk that live just across the river from chester and i agree it good fishing. back in 02 i went to the marshall county conservation area up there by peoria and had some good catfishing on the illinois river

I havent fished the Illinois river much. Its been years but we do fish the lakes along it. Spring Lake ,Rice Lake, Banner Marsh. Some others.