WildSurvive Forum

Well....I guess you can say Mr. Fudd's been keeping busy lately...making igloos and I've been toying around with the idea of making a portable wood stove....I know it sounds crazy and lame maybe for others, but I thought what the hec.  Might be fun to try and if it works, I can put it in my pack and try it out in the bush for ha has. 

So, anyway, here are some more pics.  Enjoy.  Sorry, I didn't take any GUTS pics of the inside of the stove.....however....the stove is made out of 2 old tin flour containers with an interior fire box believe it or not.  The stove pipe is a rolled up oven liner.  In all honestly....it was hard to get it going, but once it got going it worked out pretty well actually.....just like my woodstove at home...hot gases swirling around....hot fire...and smoke coming out the pipe....  If I get another chance I'll take some more internal pics to show you how I made it.

woodstove1.jpg.b5504d25745826789e430796128c9d58.jpg

woodstove2.jpg.51e5e3aa7c857ed6eba38950e8c993bb.jpg

woodstove3.jpg.6e0d17205bcd47c43da6c1ca79687ada.jpg

Yes, you could put a pan right on it.  Actually, you could cook right on it if you wanted to......of course that's after I burn off all the paint first.  gen140.gif  The stove gets EXTREMLY HOT.....I had fireplace gloves on and I almost burned myself touching the top of the stove.  The cool thing about this stove is that you can put it inside your enclosed shelter and have a nice WARM toasty shelter all night.

Well, after 3 months of "family issues" which I won't go into detail here, but you know Dave.  :)  I was really ITCHY to do stuff in the little free time I've had in the past few weeks.  Actually, the wood stove has been a work in progress for the past couple months...a little here and a little there.  The pics really don't do a justice.  When I have a free minute, I will send some schematic pics on how I built this thing.  I know it probably doesn't look like much, but I did put a LOT of thought and time into it and it seemed to work well once I got it lit.  :grin:

The cool thing about this stove is that you can put it inside your enclosed shelter and have a nice WARM toasty shelter all night.

This is AWESOME Mr. F.    Truly awesome. I'll have to get to work on one. 

What did you use to put the two containers together?  Plumbers metal bond or the like?

Actually, I designed the wood stove so its totally user friendly as far as portability and assembly are concerned.  I promise I will definitely take some more pics of each piece.  You would be shocked how easy it is to assemble and disassemble.  Its a 3 piece shell....the two main containers, fit snugly into each other, no tape, no glue, think of it as two glasses that stack ontop of each other.  The fire box (a 3rd rectangular shell) goes inside it and has strategically places draft holes to circulate the air.  The only part that looks REALLY cheesy is where the stove pipe goes as the stove pipe is just a rolled up oven liner.  I tell you what though....it may look cheesy, but it honestly worked out well.  The design is totally original....if there are any replicates out there....I have no clue.  But, I designed it in a similar way to my woodstove I have in my house.  You wouldn't believe the INTENSE HEAT this thing was throwing off and I was just sitting around it in my backyard.  I can't wait to try this thing in a closed enviroment (bush shelter). 

So, I still dont get it.

I want to boil water. Where do I place the pot on/in/around the stove to acheive that effect.

And the same thing above, except this time, I want to fry bonnock.

Hi Survivordan.  If you want to boil water, put the pot on the stove.  You don't need an open fire to boil water.  The metal the stove is made out of is EXTREMLY HOT and you will be able to boil water by putting your pot right on the stove.  If you look at the pictures, you have more than enough surface area to put even two pots if you wanted to.  I think I said in a previous post that once all the paint burns off you could cook right on the stove surface.....its kindof like a grill you see at a diner....just chuck whatever you want to cook on the surface of the stove and it will cook it NO PROBLEM.....eggs, hamburgs, bonnock.....whatever.  COOL ?

You can see some of the paint already burned off on the pics.....its looks kindof gray near the blue lid ?  The gray is the bare metal....once all the paint is burned off the stove, you'll be able to throw your "kill" right on the metal stove and it will grill it no problem.  :grin:

Hi Survivordan.  If you want to boil water, put the pot on the stove.  You don't need an open fire to boil water.  The metal the stove is made out of is EXTREMLY HOT and you will be able to boil water by putting your pot right on the stove.  If you look at the pictures, you have more than enough surface area to put even two pots if you wanted to.  I think I said in a previous post that once all the paint burns off you could cook right on the stove surface.....its kindof like a grill you see at a diner....just chuck whatever you want to cook on the surface of the stove and it will cook it NO PROBLEM.....eggs, hamburgs, bonnock.....whatever.  COOL ?

OK