WildSurvive Forum
Gandar

Hammocks, bug nets and tarps. What's your opinion?

Hey all,

I'm looking into getting a comfortable hammock at a reasonable price and getting the net and tarp the same.

Do you have any places you recommend with items you recommend.

I'm not looking for top of the line or even middle of the line but a good, cheap and durable (If good and cheap can in any way equal durable)  hammock to get started on hammock camping with.

Thanks,

Gandar

Saving money is a good thing but not at the expence of quality. Essentially hammocks are a piece of fabric suspended by cords or webbing, however, that does not mean all are created equal. Don't cheat yourself and get a cheap one that'll turn you off simply because of poor design.

I suggest buying one from a quality company with a good return policy.... I have heard that REI is outstanding when it comes to customer service.

My .02

Rick

I suggest buying one from a quality company with a good return policy.... I have heard that REI is outstanding when it comes to customer service.

My .02

Rick

Thanks Rick. I don't mean to say that I don't want one that'll hold my weight, what I mean is it doesn't have to be the titanium of hammocks.

But thanks, I'll check them out.

Hey all,

I'm looking into getting a comfortable hammock at a reasonable price and getting the net and tarp the same.

Do you have any places you recommend with items you recommend.

I'm not looking for top of the line or even middle of the line but a good, cheap and durable (If good and cheap can in any way equal durable)  hammock to get started on hammock camping with.

Thanks,

Gandar

Well so far I can't find a picture of it online but the army store here sells what they call a special forces hammock, probably an older design, for about $60.00 which is a lot cheaper than a Hennesy but being that it is actually made from canvas it is likely a good bit heavier too. I'm told whether or not it would hold me and my gear is questionable (I weigh about 255) but I have friends who are lighter that have them and like them alot. I'll try to find a pic online...., it may be made by rothco

Check this one out, I think it is the same one, it is an import but rothco makes equipment for militaries around the world so.......

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OZ0FKQ?smid=A2TYCAWPYW9339&tag=msnshop-sports-20&linkCode=asn

Well I have not got it in yet, but I ordered one of these a couple of days ago. I will let you know my thoughts on it as soon as I get a chance to try it out.

How about actually making one exactly to suit what you want?  I'm kind of wondering about polar fleece doubled maybe?  It stretches, and with pvc or light wooden ends it might be pretty comfortable.  I'd rather sleep on the ground, but most of the places I go there isn't a concern with tarantulas, scorpions, snakes and the like.