WildSurvive Forum
wareagle

howdy ya'll new guy here

Welcome to WS Wareeagle.... nice ta have ya aboard!

Looking forward to reading your info on wild edibles, one area I know next to nothing about. :(

Mister your first one looks like Cantharellus is a genus with many popular edible mushrooms. It is a mycorrhizal edible fungus, meaning it forms symbiotic associations with plants, making it very challenging to cultivate. Caution must be used when identifying chanterelles for consumption; lookalikes, such as the Jack-O-Lantern (Omphalotus olearius), can make a person very ill. Still, the golden chanterelle is one of the most recognized edible mushrooms and can be found in Asia, Europe, North America and Australia.

Its a gilled mushroom in your picture and is easily identified with The jack o'lantern mushroom (Omphalotus olearius) is an orange to yellow gill mushroom that to an untrained eye appears similar to some chanterelles, and is most notable for its bioluminescent properties. Previous names include Omphalotus illudens and Clitocybe illudens. Unlike the chanterelle, the jack o'lantern mushroom is poisonous. While not lethal, consuming this mushroom leads to very severe cramps, vomiting, and diarrhea. Complicating its toxicity is the fact that it smells and looks very appealing, to the extent that there are reports of repeat poisonings from individuals who were tempted to try them a second time.

Its bioluminescence is only observable in low-light conditions when the eye develops night vision. The whole mushroom doesn't glow—only the gills. This is due to an enzyme, called luciferase, acting upon an unspecifed chemical, leading to the emission of light much as do fireflies when glowing.

Unlike the chanterelle, the jack o'lantern has true, sharp, non-forking gills; this is the only "simple" trait for distinguishing between the two.

But I could be wrong.

thanks antaganizer where abouts do you hail from i live just outside of sudbury to the west

I'm in Cornwall, just along the St. Lawrence and right across from NY, but I spent more than a few years up your way.

Wareagle, Drag up a chair, and make yourself to home. Welcome to the camp fire, nice folks we got here. Pour yourself some coffee, listen to the stories, and if you feel like it feel free to tell one of your own. Regards, Jim