WildSurvive Forum
LOST

Self Reliance - Living Off Grid

I have a very hard time viewing such actions as child abuse. Most kids today would consider my childhood horrible...., no electronics, no t.v. in my room, no video games, humping a heavy shotgun or rifle through cold mud and snow, braving cold winds and rain on the river, and sweating in the garden to help provide supper, chopping and splitting firewood for heat...., I however really miss those days.

i miss those days too i loved it i did'nt miss tv i still played army with the boys and all sorts of other things i dream of heading back to those arkansas mtns.as for now i'm stuck in flat indiana on grid in town hating it.that time in my life was heaven on earth.

Tatonka is heading up to Alaska pretty soon for two years and maybe not be coming back.  :'(

Guest blacksmith

live in Alaska  a lot of people live off grid

Kim,

Yes things are expensive up there. But people up there make due with things. And you are off grid if you don't live in the big cities. Some of the villages in the tundra are now coming up on the grid. But there still is no sewers and waterlines in those villages. So you have to learn awhole different way of living. That is why most people up there hunt/fish. And can, smoke and dry their food for the year. You go and harvest berries and other edibles so you can eat and survive. 

And just remember that to be off grid dosen't have to mean you don't have power. There is wind/solar power options that you can use.

Guest blacksmith

you are right there we lived on a boat for over a year with no power and some times we where up a river miles from town loved it but health made it so we had to move to town