WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Holly

Ham Radio Operators

KW, how long have you been at it now, 25 years?  Longer?  I remember that setup in your room off the carport, always wished I had a room like that off to itself!

I have been a ham sinse 1984. Boy do I miss that setup I had on the carport. I am not sure that I will ever be able to have a station setup like that again. No time to do really enjoy like I did back then and even more of a lack of fundage. It was sure a lot easier when mom and dad was helping with my hobbies. LOL

Elmer? :unsure:

Elmer is someone to at as a mentor. I cant remember where the term came from but it has been a part of ham radio forever.

I've been listening to the CDs that MrCoffee was kind enough to send me, and I got the Ham Radio License Manual from the ARRL.  I may have to postpone taking the exam until the end of the month, but I'm determined to "git 'er done" as soon as possible.  :thumbsup:

Just dont let it get put off too much, I did that for a while and now I ma kicking myself for not just doing it. Much easier then I expected. :)

Mr Coffee,

Have you tried this radio out?  http://www.countycomm.com/gp4light.htm

I am thinking of adding a couple to my kits. For the price you can't go wrong. They also have some other things I am looking at getting including a BOB for my things in the jeep. Good bag for my radios.

Mr Coffee,

Have you tried this radio out?  http://www.countycomm.com/gp4light.htm

I am thinking of adding a couple to my kits. For the price you can't go wrong. They also have some other things I am looking at getting including a BOB for my things in the jeep. Good bag for my radios.

Own two I love them. Great little radio for a Bob or even just listening too. They have a great case for it as well.

Thier Bob is awesome too! ;)

I got the oppurtunity to go to the Dayton Hamvention yesterday. Which is a great place to learn about whats new  in the communications world.  I was surpised about how much survival gear that was available there. I bought a real nice first aid kit and found several pre-made survival kits there among other stuff.

Own two I love them. Great little radio for a Bob or even just listening too. They have a great case for it as well.

Thier Bob is awesome too! ;)

well I have 2 of them on the way, should be here today along with the BOB and some other toys they had

well everything came but 1 thing so now I have to call them. I had ordered 1 of the pocket widgy bars. The bag is awesome. Like the radios also. I also got a couple of the so-led in orange and 1 blue one. And a couple of sharpeners. Can't beat the price for the flashlights or sharpeners. But the bag will definately hold some gear.

well I have 2 of them on the way, should be here today along with the BOB and some other toys they had

I ordered one also. I got it today and so far I am very impressed with the little radio. It receives great and the size is awesome. The quality is far better than I expected for the price. Thanks for making this info known.

OK  Let's say that I got my new liscence and now want to get set up for a radio (both handheld and stationary).  Currently I'm considering a handheld to get started.  What are some features I should be looking for?

For limited range but free of skip and very low use I like the marine band frequencies. If you get a multi band radio make sure you can tune the marine band. You can run 50 watts on a base station and it will cover a large area line of site.

Ive never owned a short wave radio.

In a 2meter/440 handheld having one with freq encoding is a must. Most repeaters use encoding  now a days to try to limit interference. I feel the dual banders are a very good choice, a lot of them have general coverage receivers, which would be great in a survival situation. It would be like having a scanner with you too. Some even have SAR options also. One that I would like to have myself would be the Yaesu FT60R. The things listed above would apply to a mobile set up also for VHF/UHF communications.

You can use a VHF Marine Radio on shore, but you have to get a station license for it--and you probably can't get a station license unless you are a marina or some other commercial enterprise in business on the waterfront.

You can legally RECEIVE with marine band VHF radio on the shore without

a shore station licence, but it is not legal to transmit

without that licence.

You can not use VHF marine band radios for communications on shore.

Guest blacksmith

you can if you are a shore party or landing party

OK  Let's say that I got my new liscence and now want to get set up for a radio (both handheld and stationary).  Currently I'm considering a handheld to get started.  What are some features I should be looking for?

Well be sure whatever rig you get has CTCSS (Tones for use with Repeaters), 5 watts output is a must, be sure it has a larger display (I like the Yaesu VX-170). While everyone tends to run out and get a Handheld or HT for there first rig, it might not be the best option. For many reasons, a Mobile rig is a better choice if you ended up with only one rig. Might want to check out this article:

http://www.eham.net/articles/15941  or http://www.eham.net/articles/14950 they both are well written.

Features are going to dictate your choices, but just about any on the market are going to work just fine. If you are headed for the preowned isle, be sure that you check your local area repeater guide and find out what will work for you.

I am.  I've gotten through 1/2 of my manual.  I got a little sidetracked this summer while taking care of my grandmother but I'm getting back to a regular schedule now and hoping to finish soon.  :thumbsup:

Good luck with your ham license Holly, hope you are still working toward it, I have been a ham for about five years now. Call sign kc0sul my email address is on my profile if you need any help.

Dennis