WildSurvive Forum

I know some people carry a Neck Knife, but lets take it a little farther.  Lets say we want to carry a neck kit.  What all should this have on it?  What should everything be on? (Paracord, chain, ect?) Does anyone already carry one?

I've seen his before, I found it kinda cheepie.  I've kinda giver up on neck kits after hearing about people tripping and catching their necklace on somthing which in turn broke their necks, or suffacated them, or somthing of the like.

I know this may not be exactly what you mean, but I recently started wearing a medicine man/ fire pouch around my neck when I head out.  So far the jury is still out on if I like it or not.  Having it is great, but I didn't like it inside my shirt, it felt like it was pulling on my neck.  Outside my shirt was more comfortable, but it got caught on things when I was bushwacking.  Not excatly what you are talking about, but something to think about when you have something around your neck.  Also, I know many guys will not wear something that won't break away, if pulled on. 

Im looking for a knife shoulder harness as I lack a waist line.  :blush:  However I agree with Machine I dont want it around my neck entirely. I like the way Mice set his up with it more on his side. The problem I see is securing the sheath so the knife can be removed with one hand.

I know some people carry a Neck Knife, but lets take it a little farther.  Lets say we want to carry a neck kit.  What all should this have on it?  What should everything be on? (Paracord, chain, ect?) Does anyone already carry one?

"Neck kits" by nature are supposed to be minimal so as to be discrete, light enough to not break the breakaway chain it should be on, and to not put a lot of weight on your neck.

Im looking for a knife shoulder harness as I lack a waist line.   :blush:  However I agree with Machine I dont want it around my neck entirely. I like the way Mice set his up with it more on his side. The problem I see is securing the sheath so the knife can be removed with one hand.

You could always combine Mice's shoulder rig design and my sheath design. I usualy wear mine with suspenders. Some fairly heavy elastic material works best for the thigh strap so it will give when you walk and climb but still hold the knife when you go to draw it out one handed.

PICT0052.jpg

PICT0056.jpg

Swede here are some sites for them.

http://www.sunrisecustomknives.com/sheaths/adjshoulderharness/adjshoulderharness.php

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=knife+shoulder+harness&tag=googhydr-20&index=sporting&hvadid=1142447561&ref=pd_sl_8kvwi8cc6o_b

There are lots of knives out there with a shoulder harness type sheath that you could adapt to usie you knife with.

Thanks Tatonka I see they got one for the kytex sheath. Thats the one Im looking for to use my Cold Steel SRK.

I used one of the merc harnesses for 6 months or so and it worked fine.  However, the one that I got was round paracord, instead of flat and it was difficult to conceal under anything other than a heavy shirt or a coat.

Yah I want it under my arm or on my side. Its not especially for a concealed as much as handy. I would put it on my leg but than it would be sliding down all the time and eventually my ass would be showing.  :blush:

Yah I want it under my arm or on my side. Its not especially for a concealed as much as handy. I would put it on my leg but than it would be sliding down all the time and eventually my ass would be showing.   :blush:

happy097.gif

Here are some ideas for what to put on a neck kit, in the second picture it shows a couple of break away connections. the first is a snap connection that came with my mini streamlight flashlight the green one is 550 cord attached with about an inch of latex tubing like that used on wrist rocket sling shots

HPIM1075.JPG.30a1c384b74e97c22c07bdfa060e8b3e.JPG

HPIM1076.JPG.267f3047f775e3434e9ea9505e78adef.JPG

One suggestion:  If you carry a neck knife or kit, just be sure the cord will break if it gets snagged in a fall and not hang you - OUCH ! 8|

I'm not a fan of neck kits. I just find them too bulky. At the most a small knife and a whistle. I prefer to rig the knife on a trap over my shoulder and under the opposite arm. It would strangle me or swing up if I lean forward.

I have some neck knives - two are on beaded chains and the other on cord with a cordlock that will pull away if needed.  Not a big fan of hanging myself with paracord.

I am not a fan of neck kits either, but I do have a couple of fire kits, mainly those survival match containers with compass and whistle that I would take out of the pack and put around my neck in a survival situation to make sure it was always with me.

I wear an urban neck kit 24/24 and 7/7:

- A CRKT survival knife RSK mk5 with sheath and ballchain.

- A mini led e-gear Pico.

- A small ferro rod and a homemade small tinder.

je5d.JPG

And I used to change it for this one when go outdoors:

zxhf.jpg

6zrc.jpg

- A Condor "Fidelis" small neck knife with sheath and paracord.

- A plastic survival wisttle.

- A firesteel and homemade big tinder.

- A small sharpening stone.

And my outdoors survival kit count with a bigger neck knife (Eskabar) with a almost identical kit with 2 tinders. As you can see, I'm a fan of neck knives with neck kits  ;)

I've considered adding small items to my neck knife, but whenever I've experimented with it, I've found adding any weight or bulk there to be too uncomfortable to make it a standard practice.  Besides, I've often got a camera or binoculars around my neck as well when I'm out on a hike, paddling, or camping, so I start to feel a bit overburden already.

My neck knife is a cheapo Mora Companion, which hangs handle up. I normally wear it on my belt, not as a neck knife, except in the colder seasons when clothing layers make it hard to get to my knife if it's on my waist. In winter especially, when I'm wearing multiple upper body layers, most of which are not tucked into my wool pants, it's a hassle to reach under those layers to draw or sheath a knife if it's carried on my waist. I also avoid wearing a belt in winter, preferring to use suspenders to let my clothing breath better and prevent sweating around the waistband. Also, when wearing bulky gloves or mittens, I find it easier to draw and sheath my knife if it's worn around my neck in front of me than if it's carried at my waist. So, winter is when I find a neck knife to be most advantageous.

Regarding the possibility of mishaps, I've not had any yet, but I do worry about falling and having a cord get snagged on a branch and hurting, cutting, or choking me, so the cord I use is fairly weak and it's actually two cords that connect together behind my neck with a little spring/plastic cord lock - the sort that one uses to cinch up a stuff sac. The spring mechanism is strong enough to hold it in place when walking and doing chores, but if you pull on the strings or the knife and sheath, the cords will slip free of the cord lock and the knife and sheath will just fall off, thus preventing a choking hazard.

Hope this helps,

- Martin