WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
survivordan

Pouch/Kit Help - Plans?

Alright. Say you are hiking and you have to fjord a stream. You loose your balance and fall in. You take you jacket and pants off, as those are dragging you under.

I am looking for plans for a pouch that could be worn around the neck or somewhere like that, where you wouldnt have to loose it in a situation like that above.

It needs to be relatively large but not to heavy alone.

Leatherworkers here, have you ever done anything like this?

Thanks,

Dan

Not entirely sure what you're looking for, but a simple haversack is would be salvagable.  It hangs off your shoulder and could be dragged behind you.

haversack.jpg

Dimmension/Plans?

I was thinking along the limes of a Mountain Mans bullet pouch. Something worn around the neck or some other hard to loose storage place...

Dimmension/Plans?

I was thinking along the limes of a Mountain Mans bullet pouch. Something worn around the neck or some other hard to loose storage place...

Like a 'possibles' bag?

A bag of certain items like:

Lighter

Snacks

Cloth

Needle/Thread

And other things that the Mountain Men always kept close at hand. My example above was a short modern one.

http://www.wildsurvive.com/outdoor-camping-forum/index.php?topic=2394.0 Check for already posted posts Dan :whistle:

Hehe, just givin' ya a hard time. A haversack would be ok, I personally like them. I like something that can attach to my belt better though. If you are looking into a neck kit then maybe a small thing of cordage with certain tools on it. Somthing larger than that or a small bullet pouch would have to be on your belt, possibles pouches where carried on belts, not neck.

Guest Lead Dog

Given SD's original concern about having to dump layers of clothing while in the water, I would think a possibles bag would have to be taken off too, unless people wear them under their outermost layer.

I'm with SK that having your emergency gear attached to your belt is a safer way to go.

Given SD's original concern about having to dump layers of clothing while in the water, I would think a possibles bag would have to be taken off too, unless people wear them under their outermost layer.

I'm with SK that having your emergency gear attached to your belt is a safer way to go.

It can be caught sometimes but its very unlikely.  I really like belt kits, I feel that is truely the way to go!

I think this is kind of what Dan was reffering too, though these are too small to carry more then a mini kit arn't they?  Unless you get a jumbo version or somthing.

You could jam a few essentials into them.  Flint, steel, tinder, powerbar, hook, pin etc etc. Even a small SAK.

What is a possibles bag? :unsure:

Mostly a reference to a bag used to keep muzzeloading supplies in, but in the days of the mountain men, just a pouch to keep all the things you might 'possibly' need....a 'possibles' bag.  Even Indiana Jones had one, if you remember the movies.

This is a modern-day version from Cabela's, but they would vary greatly:

possiblesbagmj6.jpg

Ahhhh I get it. A medicine pouch, but filled with survival goodies instead.

This isn't mine, but something like this?

747DeerskinMedicinePouch.jpg

Perfect. Now, plans on how to make one?

Dimmensions?

If you are looking for the leather for toughness try contacting a local leather craftsman for surplus supplies.

Another thought depends on whether you want an open bag or not, consider these things first:

1. If you fall into water (hope not), you might want to consider something with a zipper so that the items do not fall out from

water pressure and currents that may be strong.

2. Do you want a bag with any kind of strap that could get caught up on rocks hanging around your neck while you are struggling to

stay afloat?

3. Ask yourself how you will keep your items dry?

I found a small black digital camera case with a zipper works great. 

I place everything small (MY MUST HAVES) in a ziplock bag inside and it has double snapped straps that fit on a belt. 

Wear the pouch on the inside of your belt next to your pants, instead of on the outside of your belt.

The belt can hold it snug next to your body just before you would cross water.

The leather looks beautiful, but I think for long term toughness, it's hard to beat a high quality fanny pack.  Hey, you leather makers?  Ever think of getting some really heavy duty ripstop nylon or kevlar and re-creating your designs?

Fanny packs are great and I have been looking for the perfect pack and have come to the conclusion that they are hard to customize to individual preferences.  I always seem to be disatisfied with one aspect or another.  I do like the light weight carry of them though.

If you find a fella that makes custom nylon holsters and shoulder rigs, odds are if you take him a sketch of what you want, he can do it.  Barring that, most treadle sewing machines can handle heavy nylon.  Tess made a leather dress with one.

I oughta post a pic of that leather dress.  I bet the leather boys here would get a kick out of it.  Uh oh, that didn't come out nearly as innocuous as it sounded in my head.