WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
survivordan

Pouch/Kit Help - Plans?

I'm looking for something small suited for long-term use. Maybe something, like, 3x4", just to hold a striker and char, food bits, bandana, things like that. And I would like it to look about late 1800s period, or mountain man sytle, but adaped to wear around the neck.

Its made of cow hide leather, got it at tandy leather. Its about 10x10, or around that. The thread is sinew.  Anyone have any advice as to what to use for sewing with leather for thread.  Sinew is rather difficult to work with.

They sell fake sinew that comes on one spool, unlike real sinew, or you can cheat a bit and use upholstery thread.  It's uber strong compared to general use threads.

Few other choices, hemp, course cotton string, hide, waxed or unwaxed depending on the project.

Question;  Are you using a piercing needle with the bladed edges to sew with, or are you punching with a leather awl first?  The latter may be easier for you.

I'm just doing prototypes out of canvas, now. I want to find a design that I like first, then I'll buy some laether and an awl. I've looked all over to find artificial sinew like we used to whip ropes at camp, and cant find any.

Up here we have a crafty store called Micheal's.  Don't know if there's any down your way, but if there is, that would be a great place to find what you need.

They sell fake sinew that comes on one spool, unlike real sinew, or you can cheat a bit and use upholstery thread.  It's uber strong compared to general use threads.

Few other choices, hemp, course cotton string, hide, waxed or unwaxed depending on the project.

Question;  Are you using a piercing needle with the bladed edges to sew with, or are you punching with a leather awl first?  The latter may be easier for you.

I use a leather punch.

I built one out of a glove holder that emt's use for gloves. It holds your basic survival kit supplies. I have a sm butane lighter, military match, some strike anywhere matches, fishingline, split shot and fishhooks and some high strength cord that they use to sew sails with. It also has a sm mirror and led flashlight in it. It is packed in a sm plastic bag and worn on my belt. Don't take up alot of room on your belt either.

Survivordan,

Yes it is a nylon case that holds a apir or 2 of gloves. You can get them at uniform shops or thru mail order for fire/ems suppliers. They don't cost that much. Or if you know of a fire explorer post maybe you could get one from them. Or from a friendly firefighter that might want to help you out.

I also forgot that I have a sm knife in there as well. It supplements my main kit. And is always with me just incase. I carry a benchmade folder also.

I checked there, too. They looked at me funny when I said 'sinew'.....

@ Micheals tell them its a waxed thread and you are using for native crafts, that worked for me anyway, the lady I spoke to gave me a sideways look also when I asked about sinew.  Michaels is EXPENSIVE though for this stuff, at least in Canada.  I would only go there if you need it NOW.

Tandy Leather or Ebay (it's surprisingly common on Ebay) are your best bets.

Survivordan, Is this something that you want to make yourself? Dose it have to be "primitive" looking?

I was thinking, as a possible option, would you consider a pre made pouch? If so, there are a bunch of options. Most camping stores (EMS, Campmore) have belt pouches in various sizes. You could look at current issue or military surplus ammunition pouches and such. You could look into companies like Maxpedition Gear (www.maxpedition.com) or Eagle Industries (www.eagleindustries.com), or The Original SOE Gear (www.originalsoegear.com), and the like. Just depends on what you want. You could also ask askdamice to whip up something for you. Hope this helps. Regards, Jim

PS. Do you know about the Doug Ritter (Equipped to Survive forums) PSK, marketed by Aeromedix (www.aeromedix.com)? Jim

Holly, from a mans perspective, but aren't all womens purses in effect, "possibles" bags? You carry stuff in them that experience has taught you to carry, or that you think you'll "possibly" need while away from home. Regards, Jim

I see more and more men carrying bags.  There was a time when all men had to carry things and some bags were quite fancy, such as the Tapestry Bags. Saddle Bags are just another that men used.  Now they may be called Courier Bags.

Yeah, but you were saying about river crossings, and having to shed your shirt, if your wearing a pack or shoulder bag, you might have to let them go too. That's the advantage of a belt or if you need more space a fanny pack.

I always try to keep the bare essentials attatched to me. Regards, Jim

I did plan on making this myself. I bought some vinyl for now, its hide colored and soft on the outside, but cream and abrasive on the inside. Once I buy some sinew, I'll stitch it up, and that will act well until I get genuine leather.

Guest smallgamehunter

if u really want a  good belt pouch i would go with a butt pack from a local military surplus store

Survivordan, what did you eventually turn up with to house your kit?

To add my 2 cents worth.  Wearing something around your neck, that doesn't include a break away chain, is asking for trouble.  There you are, naked and traveling along at a pretty good clip in that river and all of a sudden you are stopped dead, literally.  Your stout necklace caught on a tree limb and didn't break.  Instead, it stopped you and snapped your neck, or choked you to death as you danged there, helpless in the current.  Nope, if you wear a necklace type of setup, make sure it has a break away chain.  It'll hurt, but it will break before your neck does.