WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gen

I need a good Backpack

I am in search of good 3-4 day backpack. I been checking ebay but mostly find either too expensive name brands or way too heavy cheapos.

Anyone of know of a good source of used, affordable packs? Any advise on internal vs external frames?

If anyone is looking to onload a pack please let me know and we will see what we can work out. :help:

I mostly do canoe & small boat trips but my buds are wanting to go treking, so I need to man up and go for a long walk I guess...

Gallagher

Saygo!! Gallagher, For hiking a good pack with either an internal or external frame is more comfartable than just a "bag". It will give you support, I personaly prefer and internal pack for the trail as far as comfort and ability to form pack to me, as long as pack has enough loops and such to attach limited items to the exterior. But for canoe and portaging I use a freighter frame which I strenghtened and added attaching points and tie a "Woods" canoe pack to it, it will carry a small outboard motor, a mooze hindquarter, a grub box etc... anything that I need. Better to have a slightly larger pack half full than a small pack with to many items dangling and swinging and catching on branches and destabalizing me. If you canoe and portage a lot, I would start with the exterior freighter frame with a bag attached to it as long as it has a good harness and save up for a dedicated hiking pack that is as comfortable on my back and as my pocket book when I could afford it at a later date. Take your time and get the best you can afford, look for long term use and defray the cost outlook over 10+ years to justify the expense.

Guest adrenjunky

Depending on how soon you are looking REI has garage sales, if you have a local store. The other thing I have done is go to a hiking store and ask if they now anyone selling a pack.