WildSurvive Forum
Swede

Hostgator upgrade

Dear HostGator clients, As technology continues to advance and evolve, HostGator has always aimed to stay at the forefront of the technological curve. Following this trend to provide the most up-to-date hardware and software, we are proceeding with making PHP5 part of the standard working environment on all of our servers, as well as upgrading MySQL from version 4.1 to 5.0. These upgrades will be on all new servers launched from this point forward. As of March 8th , 2008, we will begin converting current production servers to this new environment as well. We are aware that differences in PHP4 and PHP5 can lead to minor problems and instabilities in certain scripts, and are taking every measure possible to ensure your websites continue to function. This includes testing scripts that may conflict with the upgrade and automatically upgrading your code to a problem-free, stable and PHP5 compatible version. The MySQL upgrade may have minor issues as well, which will be handled in a similar manner. This upgrade process is going to be as automated as possible, but we understand that some customers may wish to handle upgrades themselves. All servers and accounts will be upgraded to PHP5 and MySQL 5, but if you wish to handle the upgrading of any incompatible scripts yourself, please visit ( http://www.hostgator.com/php5opt-out/ ). By authenticating your login credentials on this page, you confirm that you wish leave any incompatible common scripts as they are. With that said, only a very small percentage of customers will be affected by this, as nearly all PHP scripts have been upgraded to comply with the PHP5 standards over the past few years. MySQL 5 has also been proven stable and the upgrade will be as streamlined as possible. Of those customers still concerned or looking for more information, please read this forum post ( http://forums.hostgator.com/showthread.php?p=101443 ) regarding the upgrade process. Any news or progress updates will be posted there. If you are a reseller and wish to opt out of the automatic upgrade procedure, please note that all of your underlying customers will be affected by your opt-out decision. This upgrade will help HostGator provide the most up-to-date, reliable and secure software to better meet the ever changing needs of it's customers. PHP5 and MySQL 5 provide many new features and offer much more design flexibility for scripts written with the changes in mind. In the future, we intend on upgrading to the latest available Apache versions as well. We'll be following a strict upgrade procedure to minimize any problems that could potentially occur. Any future upgrades will follow a similar process with minimal conflicts and downtime. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation, and thanks for choosing HostGator!

Wonder if it'd be a good idea to back up the website?  I have no idea how you do that, but every time on of our clients made a change to their machine, we told 'em to back it all up first.

if you back it up it's going to be backed up on there server... and if there smart they'll back everything up... but firmware upgrade wouldn't have an affect on the files and database information there just upgrading the software.  this site should be able to use php5 mysql5 the only thing i suggest is that make sure the smf software is upgraded to the latest version.

Hostgator backs up the site daily. It has crashed once since my ownership. I only have to call them and ask them to restore it. We tried to do backups but In order for me to back up I would have to install a mass storage unit on my PC and back it up at least twice a week. A total back up could take hours.