WildSurvive Forum

Ladies and Gents, I'm looking for advice on how to do something. Got the Idea from reading an article on another forum. Guy wrote about kits in general, and then broke down what he carried in his pockets to his 72 hour kit and why. The light bulb went on when he wrote about his second kit. It's a largish pack pocket with a shoulder harness and hydration capability and it's designed to work as a pack pocket for the next sized up kit, and the one after. It carries the stuff that you want immediate access to, but cant conveniently carry on your person. The fact that it marries to the other packs dose a couple of things, it saves you from abandoning your "first line" when you get to access your "second line" gear, you don't have to find a place to stow your now extra bag, and it's contents support the larger kit(s) with only some redundancy. I your interested, (www.Outdoors-Magazine.com), look for "All Kitted Out" By Neil Andrews.

So, does anyone know of a largish pack pocket, that will stand alone as a remedial kit, has a pack harness for hands free carry, and interfaces with its larger brethren preferably with hydration capability? I don't know who's packs will be the next steps up (I like Mystery Ranch, but they don't list their pockets on their site, and will Kifaru pockets work on MR packs?), so generic attachments would help. Would I be better off going the custom route? (I suck at designing stuff) Suggestions appreciated, and thanks in advance. regards, Jim

Are you talking about the article at the bottom of the page on this link? I tend to like, as with my clothing, a layered approach to gear systems. The pack I recently bought has removable/addable pouches (still playing with them), some made in pouches, plus some attaching points for other gear. I don't think a kit should be so rigid or  structured that it can't be modified to fit whatever circumstances arrise. I don't personally care the the huge, square, boxy, "expedition" type packs because in an emergency situation where I have no choice but to lighten my load I don't want to have to choose between "all-or-nothing", I am going to hang on to some things...., as many as possible for the situation at hand.

Mistwalker, Thanks for getting back to me. No, I'm sorry, I don't know how to link specifically with the article, but if you type in the title in the search box at the top of the page, you should get to it. The way I have it pictured, this is just a rectangular pouch, what, maybe 24"L x 10"w x 8"d, with a pack harness and hydration, that attach's to the larger pack(s), and works as a pack pocket. Thanks, Jim

If you are wanting to attach it to an existing pack you will likely have to do as some of us do and hone up on your sewing skills, and modify another bag to do what you wish. B.B.C. and Rothco along with some others offer a wide range of packs and bags, some are easily modified to do what you want. You can check them all out online, just do a google search on it.

Yes I've seen those, Jim. Especially while I was backpacking in Europe... Some have a zip-out day pack with harness... some are attached by quickrelease buckles. I would personally find the bags you like and rig them up to fit together... but I love that kind of thing!

I use a three level kit system where I can shed layers as needed without any fiddling around.

Rick

Aligator,

You can also pick up the book, Build the perfect survival kit. By John D McCann. In there he talks about building all kinds of kits. He built a BOB using a Camelback HAWG.

Tatonka, Thanks for getting back to me. I have a Camelback HAWG, that I was using as my EDC pack, good bag, but was trying to figure out a way to have my EDC bag "marry" onto my larger bags, hence the thought of pack pockets.

I  think the HAWG is a pretty lean stand alone kit for a BOB though. regards, Jim

Askdamice,Thanks, Got pictures?

Mistwalker, Thank you, What or who is B.B.C.?

Regards, Jim

Jim,

Sorry no pics... it consists of belt items as the primary, a buttpack as the secondary and a ruck sack as the tertiary kit. Each kit provides me with a different level of "comfort" while in the woods.

Each kit contains within it... a blade, a fire starter and basic cordage... strictly for insurance purposes... lol.

Each kit contains within it... a blade, a fire starter and basic cordage... strictly for insurance purposes... lol.

You and I think a lot alike, That's why I turned my knife it's self (well...., one of them has cordage) into one such kit. If nothing else it will at least provide the basics to work with.

Sportsman's Guide runs specials. 

Check this one for $70.00:    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=417476&pn=2

sportmansguidevestva8.jpg

or maybe this one for $10.00:    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=417466&pn=3

pocketchestrigly0.jpg

and check out this bad boy ...  $100.00, but very nice hydration pocket vest.    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=343967

hydrationpocketvestrj2.jpg

Aligator, I didn't see where you had commented in my survival kit thread, so is this what you are talking about?

http://www.wildsurvive.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=72&topic=2258.msg103256#msg103256

This fanny converts to a day pack if you wish.  The daypack part zips into its own compartment, with a little added storage in there as well for flat stuff.

On the belt of this pack, I'd say I'd have room for about two more medium size belt packs.  Tess carries a smallish first aid kit on hers.

Lost, I like the vests, if only they didn't have pockets where a backpack's straps would sit.  Someone handy with a needle and thread could probably make up one, or some judicious pocket removal and a smooth back would make those vests backpack-compatible.  It's nice to have the survival kit backpack compatible, because that means you can take a daypack with more gear on those days when you are not real sure what the weather's going to do.  It's equally nice to have a place to pack layers that you've taken off as well as having the extra layers available if you need them.

Nukerool, Nice system!, but no. Picture a 4-5000ci. backpack with large rectangular pockets on the side that are removable, and are attached with zippers or fastex or belts, whatever. Once removed they function as day packs, complete with pack harness and equipped for a hydration bladder. As explained in the article (did you folks find it?), this is his smallest kit and carried everywhere with him, kind of like Mistwalkers bag. It contains stuff that cant be readily carried on his person. In a "situation", or while training away from his car, or more then 2 days walk from home, he attatchs this to the side of his BOB that lives in his trunk, and is 2-3000 ci. or roughly 3 day sized. For a larger or longer duration incident, at home he has his 72hr. bag, that the pocket can again be attached to. Not the only way to skin this particular cat, but seams like a good plan. Regards, Jim

I love the cost ... ouch!  Just thought you would perhaps design your own anyway.  That would be best in the long run for fit.

But these are great to look at.

Lost, just as an aside, the Mystery Ranch(www.mysteryranch.com) Crew cab is rather well regarded, as is almost all of their stuff, by some hunters I know. Seems they backpack into the area their hunting, and when they kill say an elk, they gut and quarter it and carry out quarter at a time in a waterproof (or blood proof) bag in the center section. One of my most experienced friends rates Mystery Ranch, only after Dan McHale's packs (www.mchalepacks.com) in comfort and quality, which is pretty high praise to my mind. Thanks again. Regards, Jim

Man their pack construction looks great.  I'll be spending more time tomorrow reading all of their specifics.  Thanks for that one.