WildSurvive Forum

Lost, You have excellent tastes and $$$$ too! I fell in love with Dan's Super Inex CM Bayonet, but alas, my pockets aren't that deep (18y/o son and 14y/o daughter > college), so I'll have to stick to MR. Regards, Jim

Its like window shopping right now.  I have all the gear I can carry and unless something gets desroyed, so I am just looking through the monitor window. lol

Who knows about next year though. 

Your choice isn't too shabby either ...  :hugegrin:

Its like window shopping right now.  I have all the gear I can carry and unless something gets desroyed, so I am just looking through the monitor window. lol

Who knows about next year though. 

Your choice isn't too shabby either ...  :hugegrin:

Always good to keep up with availabilities.

Lost, OK, as long as your window shopping, check these out; www.integraldesigns.com, www.valandre.com, www.phdesigns.co.uk, and www.hilleberg.com. Regards, Jim

Works for me???

Please take a close look at Hilleberg, probably the best tents available, but look at ID's bivis, and their North Twin/Andromeda synthetic combo. Do you know about Western Mountaineering www.westernmountaineering.com? Though PHD and Valander are more highly rated, just depends on how deep your pockets are. Regards, Jim

PS, Please also look at RAB, www.rab.uk.com., and as a dealer, Bear River Outfitters www.bearriveroutfitters.org. Jim

The metal strip is wearing out on my credit card.  lol

Truly though - as much as I love all the new tech, I have always prefered the tarp, bug net, and sleeping bag.  Now if I were an Alpine Climber, then I would have tons of sponsors who loved me to death.  Not a good word in their case.

Have you found what you have been looking for yet?

The metal strip is wearing out on my credit card. lol

Truly though - as much as I love all the new tech, I have always preferred the tarp, bug net, and sleeping bag. Now if I were an Alpine Climber, then I would have tons of sponsors who loved me to death. Not a good word in their case.

Have you found what you have been looking for yet?

I think so, but have to take a closer look. So what did you wear out your credit card strip on?

I agree, sleeping bag, bivi and tarp, for most 4 season conditions and the locations I prowl, but there are conditions in which a good sturdy tent can be considered life support equipment, and I would choose one if I have somebody with me that I'm responsible for. Please remember, and excuse me if I'm preaching to the choir, but your equipment must be able to support you in the worst imaginable conditions, without the benefit of a fire, such as if your sick or injured (God Forbid), and though you may pack tinder and multiple methods of starting a fire, you may not be able to gather and prepare fuel wood. I don't carry fuel wood in my pack. It may be all you can do to crawl into your sleeping bag and bivi, and maybe if your lucky, some how rig your tarp, soaking wet, and hunker down and have it keep you alive. We choose our gear from the prospective of comfort, convenience or price, but sometimes our equipment choices are the difference between an uncomfortable night and dieing. Please choose carefully. Regards, Jim

I think so, but have to take a closer look. So what did you wear out your credit card strip on?

I agree, sleeping bag, bivi and tarp, for most 4 season conditions and the locations I prowl, but there are conditions in which a good sturdy tent can be considered life support equipment, and I would choose one if I have somebody with me that I'm responsible for. Please remember, and excuse me if I'm preaching to the choir, but your equipment must be able to support you in the worst imaginable conditions, without the benefit of a fire, such as if your sick or injured (God Forbid), and though you may pack tinder and multiple methods of starting a fire, you may not be able to gather and prepare fuel wood. I don't carry fuel wood in my pack. It may be all you can do to crawl into your sleeping bag and bivi, and maybe if your lucky, some how rig your tarp, soaking wet, and hunker down and have it keep you alive. We choose our gear from the prospective of comfort, convenience or price, but sometimes our equipment choices are the difference between an uncomfortable night and dieing. Please choose carefully. Regards, Jim

No argument there.  I do have quite a variety of gear to more or less make life more enjoyable for others that I may be out with (and for myself).  I too agree that specific times call for extreme gear, especially in life threatening emergencies.  My personal choices are becoming more and more simplified.  I am more appreciative when the time spent in the bush is for me as I can relate better to who I really am.  This is why the less the better in most cases.

As regards the credit card - I really do not like them.  I prefer cash up front whenever I can.  Someone very wise once said, "Be indebted to no one."