WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
antagonizer

Victoria Island in Ottawa

Actually Victoria Island is Between Ontario and Quebec and marks the boundry between the two provinces, tho it's actually considered part of Hull Quebec. These were a part of my old stomping grounds as a kid.  When I wasn't up at algonquin park, or Charleston Lake, or Hurds Lake, I spent alot of time down at the river. 

There's an old mill that sits on the island and also a  Native Algonquin community.  Well actually about 15 years ago the natives annexed the island and appropriated the mill claiming ancestral rights. Later, the government gave them liberal access to use the island so they built a, kind of, seasonal village.  It usually sits abandoned in the winter and, it seems, this year somebody tore down some of their fencing;

Visitors Shack at the entrance of the 'village'

DSCF6875.jpg

Trail leading to the river

DSCF6876.jpg

Part of the torn down fence

DSCF6877.jpg

The far side of the fence that's still standing

DSCF6878.jpg

The front of the visitors shack

DSCF6879.jpg

The Longhouse

DSCF6880.jpg

The longhouse on the left, with a view on the Ottawa side of the river and parliament hill (the pointy buildings. The one to the right of them is the courthouse)

DSCF6881.jpg

Another view of the longhouse. Notice how they used bark as planking

DSCF6882.jpg

Inside the longhouse

DSCF6883.jpg

Again, Inside the longhouse

DSCF6885.jpg

My wife watching me IN the longhouse

DSCF6886.jpg

The rafters

DSCF6892.jpg

Totem pole overlooking the river

DSCF6893.jpg

Something's been hunting and hiding it's kill.  Can you guess what by the tracks?

DSCF6894.jpg

Here's a closeup

DSCF6895.jpg

Another view of the totem pole and part of Hull Quebec

DSCF6897.jpg

Again across the river.  Parliament is on the right, and the glass dome straight ahead is the art gallery of canada.  That's not a field in front, that's part of the river frozen over. It's a pretty rare thing since usually the water moves to fast to freeze.

DSCF6898.jpg

Again, across the frozen river with parliament on the right and the gallery on the left.

DSCF6900.jpg

In case you haven't seen enough pics of it,  :whistle: here's another shot of the parliament.

DSCF6901.jpg

A side view of the longhouse

DSCF6902.jpg

The old Mill. Burned down 100 years ago. They repaired is structurally rebuilding part of it, and for a while it was used for weddings and such, but now it's closed off.

DSCF6905.jpg

A distant shot of the mill

DSCF6907.jpg

Closer look

DSCF6908.jpg

Ant:

These are great photos.  I love the preservation of the buildings and that the are respected by the public.  Very good.

In the tracks, it looks like perhaps the smaller ones are weasel as they drag their tail.  Size is difficult to read.

The tracks are of a mouse of sorts but since mice are not raptors  :P  it must be a shrew or weasel.

Antagonizer,

Nice pics. Ottawa is a beautiful city. Have visited a couple of times. The tracks in the one pic of the totem from what they look like from that angle look like fox tracks.

Guest given to the sea...

~ Great pics Antagonizer!  :thumbsup:  

The tracks are of a mouse of sorts but since mice are not raptors   :P   it must be a shrew or weasel.

Ah very good. You're in the right genus, but in fact, these are muskrat tracks.  I tried to get his picture, but he disappeared under that tree, by the water, in pic #7.  He was just a little one, so I figure mom isn't far.  There were tracks everywhere. Lots of different species live around the river.  I've seen fox, rabbit, beaver, rat, even the occassional weasel.

Swede's probably right tatonka.  Lots of wild and strays in the area.

Yeah the tracks by the cache. But the other tracks looking back towards Hull in a straight line from that angle look like fox. They travel in a straight line. But it is nice to find tracks and wonder what might have been there.

And if the walls of the mill only could talk what stories you could hear of those days.

SNOW! :scared:  REAL SNOW!   scared011.gif

Beautiful pictures, antagonizer!  I haven't seen snow like that since I was a little girl living in Maine.

Muskrat tracks are small, hand like prints, with long, fingerlike toes. The rear print is 2 to 3 inches long and may look like a smaller version of a raccoon track. The front print may appear four-toed, as the inner toe is extremely small and barely shows in the track.

tmuskrat4hb3.jpg

I think you saw a rat. Rats live in water just like muskrats and muskrats are vegetarians. The only meat that I know they eat is clams. That looks like blood around that hole. There will not be any babies in the winter.

Or I could be wrong.

Muskrat tracks are small, hand like prints, with long, fingerlike toes. The rear print is 2 to 3 inches long and may look like a smaller version of a raccoon track. The front print may appear four-toed, as the inner toe is extremely small and barely shows in the track.

tmuskrat4hb3.jpg

I think you saw a rat. Rats live in water just like muskrats and muskrats are vegetarians. The only meat that I know they eat is clams. That looks like blood around that hole. There will not be any babies in the winter.

Or I could be wrong.

Sure looked like a muskrat, considering how big he was, but then it could just be a plain old river rat.  There's alot of both around here. It's a bit tricky to tell toe patterns since the snow is all powder, and simply caves when stepped on.  I thought the tail pattern and foot width would be a big give away. I've had a few brown rats as pets and notice that their feed are alot narrower, and the tail seems to be held up as compared to a rat.  Rats drag their tails, and often, their bellies as well.  Plus, if it's a male it also drags something else...

BTW, I always thought muskrats were frog eaters, no?

Holly, you can have the snow, all of it.  I'm sick of it, and seriously can't wait for the big thaw.  I'll package it up and ship it out to you, no charge. LOL!

Swede you probably are right about it being a rat. I forgot the old mill probably still has lots of guests living there from all the old grain. My dad use to work in the grain elevators and he told me stories of lg rats as big as cats being around.And I have seen rats as big as some sm dogs they use to come over the tracks when I lived in the city.

Beautiful pictures the parliament building is awesome, such a contrast in architecture. I was thinking the tracks were a cat, and I bet she is hoping it will fall in on you  :P

Swede you probably are right about it being a rat. I forgot the old mill probably still has lots of guests living there from all the old grain.

Wasn't that kind of mill.  Plus it hasn't been used in 100 years or so I'd think.