WildSurvive Forum

Could you survive with what you carry on your body daily ? No BOB's just with the clothes you have on and what ever is in your pockets. I'm talking about a normal day not a treck into the woods that was planed. What do you carry on you and what could you improvise frome clothing, jewlery, etc. that is on you to survive?

I wear a fanny pack.  I got tired of transferring wallet, keys, hanky, knives, pills, and breathmints every time I switched pants.  Now I've added to that bandaids, mag stick, earplugs, nail file, magnifying glass, and some other stuff that I can't recall right now.  Should be able to survive.  Primitive man did with just stone tools...I'd have a head start with the knives.

Should be good to go.  SAK, Leatherman, both always with me.  The harder part would be fire, even though I always have my Zippo and some matches.  If the Zippo is out of fluid it will still spark and has it's own cotton stuffed inside to hold fuel.  So fire shouldn't  be too hard.  I keep meaning to post some pics of my Listerine Pocket Pack breath strips burning.  I have Chapstick, so that might work with the cotton in the Zippo (can you say "Time to experiment"?). 

As for me i have a leatherman wave in a leather sheath, a leather belt , a cell phone with a case, keys ,wallet ,ink pen, AAA mag light ,bic lighter , and note pad , i carry all this everyday. Also my work boots have leather laces, about 18-24" on each. Oh and my wedding ring. A few things i could do is start fire with the lighter ,also the cell phone case has a magnetic latch for the cover so i could possibly take the eyeglass screwdriver from the wave and magnetize it and improvise a compass, the boot laces for cordage. As i think of others i'll post them.

As for me i have a leatherman wave in a leather sheath, a leather belt , a cell phone with a case, keys ,wallet ,ink pen, AAA mag light ,bic lighter , and note pad , i carry all this everyday. Also my work boots have leather laces, about 18-24" on each. Oh and my wedding ring. A few things i could do is start fire with the lighter ,also the cell phone case has a magnetic latch for the cover so i could possibly take the eyeglass screwdriver from the wave and magnetize it and improvise a compass, the boot laces for cordage. As i think of others i'll post them.

Well....., I'm probably one of the few carpenters who keeps a lot of his survival gear in his tool boxes, on his tool belt, and even laying around hidden in plain sight on the job site......, when I'm not in my truck. In my truck I'm quite prepared for a lot of things. When in town my clothes are chosen so that I can tuck a few odds and ends here and there, and I have a small bag that goes everywhere I go. Lisa and I both have carried our small kits into some pretty fancy restaurants..., hers in her purse mine sometimes in a small bag, which is common for guys here these days, sometimes spread through my clothing. I say we were likely the only diners carrying what could technically be called survival knives. I could survive enough things on an ordinary day that my head hirts far too bad to write a list that long at the moment......, about the only thing I don't have on or around me all the time is a canteen, usually just a bootle of water or a drink.

The funny thing is, I am really anal about having my survival kit with me.  If it's not on me, it's in the car.  There's a spare in the car all the time.  Tess' usually keeps hers in the van, but if we are heading out anywhere, she has it.

Currently, I carry my Swiss Army knife and my mag/flint stick and striker in my purse.

I could use the strap on my purse for cordage.  I think in another thread we discussed me using my bra for a sling. :hugegrin:  And I could use my undies for a signal flag! :woot:

I usually wear a pair of hoop earrings which can be used as fishhooks if I bend them right.  I'll unravel the bottom seam of my jeans for thread to be used as fishing line.

I had really never heard about this way of doing cordage.  Bracelets, belts, straps would add a lot of cordage to any kind of unusual occurence.

Alright i will try lets see what i have on me during the week.

i always dress in jeans with a tshirt and hoodie (even in the winter) In my bag i carry all my books and stuff. In my swim bag i have a jammer, swim cap,goggles,towel,keys,running shoes,money. In my pockets i have a cell phone a ipod and a pencil. Now help me out here could i survive

Alright i will try lets see what i have on me during the week.

i always dress in jeans with a tshirt and hoodie (even in the winter) In my bag i carry all my books and stuff. In my swim bag i have a jammer, swim cap,goggles,towel,keys,running shoes,money. In my pockets i have a cell phone a ipod and a pencil. Now help me out here could i survive

Depending on where you were and if you had the will power.

hmmm.... a normal day.. i could survive for ever.  my normal day is i sit at my computer all day and if i do go outside i just go to my friends house.

I always have my wallet and phone with me.. my wallet is filled with money and a cridit card with $100 if i ever need it and i'm always in the middle of town..  my phones full charge lasts 5-8 days non-stop. 

hmmm.... a normal day.. i could survive for ever.  my normal day is i sit at my computer all day and if i do go outside i just go to my friends house.

I always have my wallet and phone with me.. my wallet is filled with money and a cridit card with $100 if i ever need it and i'm always in the middle of town..  my phones full charge lasts 5-8 days non-stop. 

No....., the day just starts normal....., then takes a drastic change for the worse

one things for sure i don't have to worry about a flood unless it comes from our toliet... the house across the street from us will be completly underwater before it reaches our house.

one things for sure i don't have to worry about a flood unless it comes from our toliet... the house across the street from us will be completly underwater before it reaches our house.

You gotta love living on a hill....., I have the same situation here, and their house is above the ones down the street

In my pockets, etc., daily, I have:

Waterproof Matches

3Ft rope

Flint and Steel

Handwarmer

Knife Sharpener

Multitool

Bandana

Neck Kit:

Knife

Striker.

I've got all this except for 5 hrs. a day at school. But, whats 5 hrs. out of 24 where things could go wrong?

So, the vast amjority of my day, this is on me.

In my pockets, etc., daily, I have:

Waterproof Matches

3Ft rope

Flint and Steel

Handwarmer

Knife Sharpener

Multitool

Bandana

Neck Kit:

Knife

Striker.

I've got all this except for 5 hrs. a day at school. But, whats 5 hrs. out of 24 where things could go wrong?

So, the vast amjority of my day, this is on me.

Yeah..., well here the penalty for getting caught carrying it the other five hours would be pretty stiff, at least you have it almost 80% of the time so the odds are better than if you never had it around you.

worse = what.

Example:  You are visiting your friends, and there is a chemical spill in the area, and the fire dept comes to your friends' door and says "Get out NOW!!  Don't go back inside, don't take time to grab anything, JUST GO!!"

That is one way in which things could take a turn for the worse.

wouldn't it be best to stay in doors? 

but in that case i would go home grab my camelbak (it's filled with my gear) grab my keys, get some friends and go to mesquite, NV have a nice buffet dinner and get a room.  untill it's safe to go home.