WildSurvive Forum

wouldn't it be best to stay in doors? 

but in that case i would go home grab my camelbak (it's filled with my gear) grab my keys, get some friends and go to mesquite, NV have a nice buffet dinner and get a room.  untill it's safe to go home.

Depends on the type of spill.  And it's too late to go home because the spill is between your place and theirs!  Mwhahahahaha!

Depends on the type of spill.  And it's too late to go home because the spill is between your place and theirs!  Mwhahahahaha!

lol that doesn't quite work for my area

spill.jpg

so a better question is what are your neighbors doing?

Not exactly sure.....,  ??? he didn't clarify or qualify the question.

Aliens picked you up and droped you somewhere , city or wilderness and you have no clue where you are and you have to survive indefinatly with what ever you had on you at the time . :scared: 8|

My weakness is urban survival... I don't have a BOB... I don't keep food/water stores... no medications, generators....

Get me and my family to a heavily wooded area... and I've got something to work with....

I think I could survive with what's in my pockets.... But if the SHTF.... I would hope it would be in the Spring so I could have time to make preparations for the Winter months. Starting in the middle of Winter is realy tough.

Rick

I pretty much could survive with what I have on me daily. I have my sm psk on my belt, which includes a fishing kit of some hooks, sinkers, 25 yds of line, couple of sm jigs. A sm LED flashlight, sm knife, military match, sm signal mirror, sm BIC lighter, line for snares, sm plasticbag for a water container. In my pockets I carry another military match, a benchmade folder. Coat pocket spare flashlight, firepiston, matches, more braided fishing line that could be used for lashing or snares. And I always carry 100.00 for emergencies. and a wrist compass and spare in the kit

My weakness is urban survival... I don't have a BOB... I don't keep food/water stores... no medications, generators....

Get me and my family to a heavily wooded area... and I've got something to work with....

I think I could survive with what's in my pockets.... But if the SHTF.... I would hope it would be in the Spring so I could have time to make preparations for the Winter months. Starting in the middle of Winter is realy tough.

Rick

I can tell you from personal experience that finding yourself ina strange urban environment with little to work with but a knife and the will to survive is really tough.

I pretty much could survive with what I have on me daily. I have my sm psk on my belt, which includes a fishing kit of some hooks, sinkers, 25 yds of line, couple of sm jigs. A sm LED flashlight, sm knife, military match, sm signal mirror, sm BIC lighter, line for snares, sm plasticbag for a water container. In my pockets I carry another military match, a benchmade folder. Coat pocket spare flashlight, firepiston, matches, more braided fishing line that could be used for lashing or snares. And I always carry 100.00 for emergencies. and a wrist compass and spare in the kit

Nice, Tatonka!  Do you have any first aid supplies in there?

No Holly, The PSK is a sm kit that is used as a last ditch kit if I were to become seperated from my main kit. In the service we carried 3 kits on us. Our main kit, sm secondary kit and a last ditch kit. It all fits into a glove case that EMT's use to hold gloves on the belt. I am knowledgeable in first aid quite extensively. I have been a vol ff/AEMT. And I work as a nurse now. It's just my personel hope I don't need it kit.

Tatonka, that is so cool!  Thank you for your service to your country and for what you did for all of us.  And bless you for the work you do now. :hug: 

Could you survive with what you carry on your body daily ? No BOB's just with the clothes you have on and what ever is in your pockets. I'm talking about a normal day not a treck into the woods that was planed. What do you carry on you and what could you improvise frome clothing, jewlery, etc. that is on you to survive?

I would like to say I could, but there are so many factors that could change the possibilities.   

I would like to think I could, but what is knowledge unless it has been used in every way.

I would like to feel that I could, but I have not endured every test.

So, could I survive?  Probably, but maybe not always.  Time and unforeseen occurences befall us all.

I can tell you from personal experience that finding yourself ina strange urban environment with little to work with but a knife and the will to survive is really tough.

I agree, it can be done for a few weeks, but without some way to purify water, the bugs will get you in the end. If you don't have to worry about other people and they don't bother you, you would be able to find everything you need just laying around. The only additional thing you would need is something to start a fire with as you can always find cans that can be used to boil your water in and there are enough wild game rabbits and such even in the city that once you made a bow and arrow or even a spear, you could eat very well. But if the other people are also trying to do the same thing, the game would be gone in a couple of days. So if you throw in a means of making fire (I hate fire bows) then I think I would be able to make it, long enough to get away from the urban scene and to the woods where there wouldn't be too much trouble. Again it depends on how many others are there compeating with me for the food supply.

Rick

I am with you there, put me somewhere where there not any people and I can make it. Agreed winter would be tough but give me time to make a brush shelter and get a fire going and enough wood to last the first night and I can probably do allriight, as long as I can find a can to boil water in and there is water near.  Even with a BOB the problem is getting away to somewhere where there ain't people.

Of course it depends entirely on the situation at the time, but if it isn't putting my life in immediate danger, yes I could survive with what's on my person as I type this.  For how long isn't only up to me, but I'll do my part to make it as long as is possible under the circumstances.

Just a related question for you people who are prepared for survival.  Do other people know you are prepared for survival?  I tend to work on my house and prepare for staying put because my wife is handicapped.  I always have about 10 gallons of water on hand and a good stockpile of nonperishable food, but I don't tend to advertise it.  I tend to see the largest threat in a survival situation to be the other people who are not prepared and attempt to take what you have done. 

While standing at a cash regester someone asked about my Wildsurvive shirt. In the following discussion some kid said " I wont have to be prepared. Ill just go to your house and take yours"

I said no you wont were prepared for that also.  :bandit:

To answer the question, yes I probably could. I am carrying 2 SAKs, 2 Lighters (I smoke) watch, glasses, $28 (got my weekly allowance from the wife last night :) ) Wallet, car keys, cellphone. This is on me, not in my BOB/EDC/GHB or in my car.

Solid boots, I can walk a long way in.

My kit is within reaching distance, so I would have a lot of additional items, but if that was unavailable too me, I am sure I would be able to get by ok with what's on my person.

Swede, that is tooo funny.

Honestly, probably not.  I just haven't spent enough time practising Te skills needed.  I think with the stuff I carry daily (Not at school) I could last awhile, but honestly I don't know if I could survive long term with it.  Its something I really need to work on more!

Just a related question for you people who are prepared for survival.  Do other people know you are prepared for survival?  I tend to work on my house and prepare for staying put because my wife is handicapped.  I always have about 10 gallons of water on hand and a good stockpile of nonperishable food, but I don't tend to advertise it.  I tend to see the largest threat in a survival situation to be the other people who are not prepared and attempt to take what you have done. 

Larken, some call sticking around the house, bugging in.  If there are any train tracks near you, shipping docks, chemical factories or warehouses, military base, oil refinery, or anything else that contains or transports chemicals or toxic materials, there is a possibility that you will have to bug out.  It is a good idea to make plans and have your preps available to get your wife and yourself out of the area as quickly as is possible.

That said, you mentioned that you have 10 gallons of water on hand at all times.  How long will 10 gallons of water last you?  It may not be long enough.............

Yup, that's why I keep uping our stocks of the life giving liquid.  We are up to 70 gallons including bottled water and there are 3 adults (2 women-1 man) and a set of 20 month old twin girls.  We use for cooking and drinking on average, 3 gallons per day from the large bottles via the crock and 3 liter sized sport bottles worth, so just shy of 4 gallons total per day.

The most obvious thing around me is the Indianapolis International Airport.  In a normal emergency, we could always evac in her minivan.  When I say that we would probably stay put, I was referring to heading for the hill on foot.  Not real easy in a wheelchair.  And we are expanding our water supply too.  We have six dogs to tend to as well.  I think at last report, we had five, but we got a doberman back in January that serves as my wife's "service dog", but in actuality, he is just a guard dog for her when she goes out in public.  He makes her feel more secure with her surroundings.