WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Dark Squirrel

Survival cooking

Would you consider being able to cook a  survival skill?

With the biological need for removing harmful or even lethal micro-organisms......, plus the psychological aspect of a warm meal......, I'd say yes it is.

Yes. Just the act of preparing something to eat takes your mind off whats happening with you at that moment. By keeping the mind active with things to do and think about will keep that fear level down.

The anticipation, preparation, satisfaction, and gratification all fulfill natural needs, and in the bush these are self-supporting qualities we need even more so.  I definitely throw in my yes as well.

Yes, I have to agree with the others.  There are those out there who don't know how to do the simplest cooking chores.  Things that might seem obvious to those of us who cook outdoors may never occur to some.  Heck, how many people have you known who couldn't cook in a kitchen,  let alone outdoors at a campfire?

I cook better over a bed of coals then I do in a kitchen. I guess it's because I spent more time doing it. Bannock bread baked on a stick, and give me my cast iron Dutch oven,and I'll cook you up a stew that will knock your socks off, s l o w simmered all day to go along with your fresh bread for dunking.

The concept of killing off potential pathogens is important too, just as in water prep. The other thing to consider weather camping, practicing. or actually in a situation, is cleanliness may be next to Godliness, but it also prevents seeing Him or wishing you would, too soon. There are food born maladies that probably won't kill you, but you'll wish they would, just to put you out of your misery. Trust me, it's easier to make sure your water is treated, your food is well done, and you and your utensils are as clean as possible. Regards, Jim

I think cooking skills are important especially learning to cook things you would find in the wilderness for survival, things you wouldn't normally eat could be made more paletable by being cooked. Also i agree with other post a hot meal always makes you feel better.