WildSurvive Forum
Holly

"Everybody run! Holly's got a gun!"

I keep getting visions of Cpl. Pile in "Full Metal Jacket".... do you have a name for your gun yet?

Call it "Ricky"..... short, a little chubby... sometimes hard to figure out... will always cover your back... and packs a wallup!  :naughty:

I know Swede will have something nasty to say about this post.

We're still at the "getting to know you" stage, so I'm still calling it "Mr. Glock".  :hugegrin:

Holly, your gun should have come with a magazine loader, a plastic shell designed to fit over top of the magazine and push the top round down so that you can easily insert the next round.  All Glocks are sold with one.  If you didn't get one with the gun, there are plenty of aftermarket ones out there.  I'll send you some links later to look at.

BTW:  Excellent choice!  Go to Wally World and see if they still have the 100 round boxes of Winchester/USA .40 S&W ammo.  And get some shooting glasses, too.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/73218-47209-1172.html

Thank you so much, K-Bob! :hug:  I really appreciate all the help you've given me and for all the wonderful catalogs!  Of course, I'm just getting started on my collection, and I fully intend on ordering one firearm from each company and testing them out thoroughly, strictly for educational purposes! :whistle:

The nice thing about the firing range I'm going to is that I can rent from a large selection of pistols.  That will be a wonderful way to see what I want for Christmas!  LOL! 

The nice thing about the firing range I'm going to is that I can rent from a large selection of pistols.  That will be a wonderful way to see what I want for Christmas!  LOL! 

That is a GREAT way of finding a gun you like!  You can get a real feel for them that way.  Since I'm not having to sink a boatload of money into the car, my mind has already turned to what new addition I may make to my own collection....

Oh, lordy...I'm never going to be able to get rid of my Neon now.  I'm going to be spending all my money on guns and ammo! :rofl:

Holly try to save your empty cases and see if you can sweet talk someone to reload them for you. If nothing else there will be those who will be interested in once fired cases. The Glock will throw the empty cases quite a ways.

Thanks, Swede.  I'm sure someone at the range will know if anyone is interested in the empty cases. :yes:

I just suddenly had an '80's moment looking at the title of this thread.  Do you remember Julie Brown from MTV?  She had a sort of comedy song, "Everybody Run, the Homecoming Queen's Got A Gun."  Does anyone else remember that??

I just suddenly had an '80's moment looking at the title of this thread.  Do you remember Julie Brown from MTV?  She had a sort of comedy song, "Everybody Run, the Homecoming Queen's Got A Gun."  Does anyone else remember that??

LOL!  I do remember that one! :rofl:

That's how I did it too, Swede, but the spring is so tight in the magazine, it was still really hard to push the bullets in.

Glock springs are VERY tight, and their mags are so precisely engineered hat they do not allow for "plus-one" loading, but the guns are very well balanced and consistantly accurate. Seems to me that Glock used to make a mag loading tool that made things easier...., do they not make it any more?

I asked about useing wad cutters in a Glock and was told the pistol and reloader guys are useing them in their Glocks even though Glock doesnt reccomend doing it. I imagine theres some lead shavings from the flat soft nose bulletts as the chamber up. There is a round nose wad cutter I think.

I asked about useing wad cutters in a Glock and was told the pistol and reloader guys are useing them in their Glocks even though Glock doesnt reccomend doing it. I imagine theres some lead shavings from the flat soft nose bulletts as the chamber up. There is a round nose wad cutter I think.

I know there are some with steeper angles, but a smaller flat area

I've been loading and unloading the magazines twice a day, to get better at it, and they are loosening up enough where I can get 13 rounds in with no problem.  Some people have already recommended that I only load 13 rounds anyway, to keep from stressing out the springs over a long period of time. :yes:

Full wad cutters not the best. semi wad cutters are better.  :cigar: ( go ahead punk make my day )

The gun shop sold me a box of VERY expensive rounds called Federal Hydra Shoks.  Can someone explain to me what those are and how they are different from the other ammo I was sold, other than the fact that the Hydra Shoks were shocking in price? :woot:

Basically a hollow point bullett>  Federal PD40HS4 H with a Hydra-Shok 135gr hollow-point loaded to 1190fps/420fpe. A good, solid performer for self-defense.

Knock down power with limited penatration.

Thanks, Swede!  I still can't believe how expensive those are.  A box of 20 cost $30.00.  I won't be using those for target practice! :woot:

You got screwed> 40 S&W 135gr Hydra-Shok Personal Defense Federal Box (20 rds)

$21.95 $21.75 On Sale!

The gun shop sold me a box of VERY expensive rounds called Federal Hydra Shoks.  Can someone explain to me what those are and how they are different from the other ammo I was sold, other than the fact that the Hydra Shoks were shocking in price? :woot:

Federal Hydra-Shoks are the most "consistent" rounds in feeding, firing, and ejecting I ever fired through my hi-power, they have enough curve not to get caught on the ramp so they chamber really smoothly, but they still have enough hollow-point to get great mushrooming. When fired into "soft" targets from my 9mm pistols they opened up from .38 to about .45-.48. They have good stopping power. When it comes to honestly needing the rounds to do their job....., they are worth the extra cost.

Yep, that was pretty steep.  You will need to burn up some of that hollow-point ammo to be 100% sure it will feed, fire and eject from your particular pistol and to check how accurate it is from your gun before you trust your life to it.  A Glock should handle Hydra Shoks perfectly, but you have to make certain.  Here are some different mail order prices:

http://buy.cheaperthandirt.com/67157-6902-183.html

http://buy.cheaperthandirt.com/67116-6879-183.html

http://buy.cheaperthandirt.com/67021-7212-183.html

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=148330  (17.67 for 165 grain Hydra Shok, the best price I've seen so far).

http://www.natchezss.com/ammo.cfm?contentID=productDetail&ammoGroup=2&brand=FA&prodID=FAP40HS3

Some less expensive practice ammo:

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=413326

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=323015

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=221033

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jsp?id=0022873&navCount=5&parentId=cat20837&masterpathid=&navAction=push&cmCat=MainCatcat602007-cat20837&parentType=index&indexId=cat20837&rid=

Hope these help you out a little.  You'll see that there are different bullet weights listed here, and it will take a little experimentation to see which one your particular gun will shoot the most accurately (gives you another excuse to pratice alot!).  Just remember when you mail-order ammo to add the cost of shipping to help decide if you're getting a better deal locally than through the catalog.  Quite often I find that I can get a much better deal from mail-order, sometimes I can make out like a bandit locally.  It's like my momma told me, ya gotta shop around....

Thank you, K-Bob! As always, you have been wonderfully helpful. :hug: 

I cannot WAIT to take that very first shot with my pistol.  I'm so excited about that!  Robbie tried talking me into going down to SC yesterday to practice firing in a field behind the plant where he works but I want to take my safety class first.  I think I hurt his feelings, but we ARE talking about Robbie here. :whistle:  I'm not quite prepared to treat gunshot wounds if he happened to shoot off his toe or something...

Holly,

That was a good choice. As you cannot cross state lines with your pistol. If you had been stopped you would have been in some deep  censored.gif .

If you want to shot out in the open find some area around you and just make sure there is a good backstop behind what your shooting at.

Gotta agree with Tatonka, take the course first.  As for crossing state lines with a pistol, you need to get a copy of state firearms laws.  I will find a link for you on it.  If there is a Hunter Education Course available in your area, you might consider going.  I don't know how N.C. does it, but it's free in Ky and there is a list on the Dept of Fish & Wildlife's website of course dates and times.