WildSurvive Forum
Holly

"Everybody run! Holly's got a gun!"

Right now I'm hankering for either a Glock 23 or 27, to use as a smaller companion piece to my G22.

Also, in 9mm, there are good deals to be had on Ruger P95s right now.  It's a very reliable weapon and can be had new for around $310.

Also, use the mag loading tool that came with your Glock to load your magazines.  It saves your thumbs.  I assume one must have come with it, even though I don't see it pictured.

It didn't come with one, bestseller.  But the springs have loosened up a little and my thumbs have gotten stronger, so I'm not having the trouble that I had earlier with loading the rounds. 

I still want a revolver.  I really do love them.  I have my eye on this little beauty:

S&W "J"

The Smith J frame AirLites are cool.  Also try the Ruger Sp101.

And I don't know why your GLOCK didn't come with a mag loading tool.  I assumed they all did.

It didn't come with one, bestseller.  But the springs have loosened up a little and my thumbs have gotten stronger, so I'm not having the trouble that I had earlier with loading the rounds. 

I still want a revolver.  I really do love them.  I have my eye on this little beauty:

S&W "J"

Consider these as well: 

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&pageSize=10&published=1&beginIndex=0&resultType=2&attributeName1=Model&attributeValue1=642&attributeValueType1=STRING&attributeValueOperator1=EQUAL&isFirearm=Y

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&pageSize=10&published=1&beginIndex=0&resultType=2&attributeName1=Model&attributeValue1=638&attributeValueType1=STRING&attributeValueOperator1=EQUAL&isFirearm=Y

The Model 638 has a shrouded hammer and is very snag-free (won't catch on a pocket or clothing during the draw) and the 642 is hammerless, double action only (no hammer to snag).  The main advantage is that these will not get caught in clothing when you need to get them out in a hurry, and they are VERY lightweight.  The 638 will let you cock the hammer back for target shooting, but you really are better off learning to shoot double-action only for a defensive gun.  The 642 has a different feel to the trigger pull, but you can learn to "stage" the pull.  My personal favorite is the 638.  By the way, those with big hands should watch where that cylinder latch is going to impact under recoil of .38 Spl+P loads, it'll bite your thumb knuckle if you don't watch.  My first shots with my 642 were well down range before I noticed the blood on the side of the gun's frame... :blush:

The Ruger SP-101 is heavier than the Airweight S&W's, but would out-last 3 Smiths!  You can get them in .357 mag (and still use .38 Spl's), .32 H&R Mag, .22LR (fun for plinking), and the new .327 Federal Mag.  Ursula likes my old SP-101 in .22LR, so I gave it to her.  I've been considering getting her one in .38 or .357 so I can get my old one back!.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdResults?function=famid&famid=9&variation=Satin%20Stainless&bct=Yes&type=Revolver

BY THE WAY EVERYONE!

Cheaper Than Dirt has a great sale going on with their Federal Hydra Shoks.  Boxes of 50 rounds for 25 to 28 dollars depending on caliber.  I will post item numbers and prices tomorrow for anyone interested.  I'm gonna stock up on .45's and 9mm's, maybe some .38 Spl +P and .357 Mag, too.

hey holly did you look at the glock modle 23 or 27 its the same caliber but ithos are the compact and sub compact moddles wich would be perfict for ccw  i want to get my permit as well but its going to be extreamy hard in the state of ca expecialy in the county i live in the want a good reason to issue me a permt liek my life was thretend and i got paper work from the police to prove it. im hopeing to tell thim that with me towing i work in some bad neighborhoods and wanthe added secutity and if the deny me im going to print out a few storys of tow truck drivers being shot and killed on the job. if they still tell me know im gna ask then what i can carry then

I looked at those at the gun shop but they didn't feel right in my hand.  I think I'm going to get a S&W .38 snubnose. :thumbsup:  I love those!

If a gun doesn't feel right in your hand, you'll never have the confidence in it that would make it a good choice for you.  Better to have a firearm that fits your hand well.  I know Glocks are as good as they get and I've owned several, but they just don't fit my hand like a 1911A1 does.  

My daily summer carry gun is my Smith & Wesson 642 Airweight 38 Spl.  It disappears into the pocket of my khakis for work or even in lightweight shorts.  The drawback is that the Airweight loaded with .38 Spl +P kicks like a young mule--much worse than the all-steel S&W J-frame snubbies in .357 Magnum.  Airweights (aluminum frame) are easy to carry, but the all-steel pistols are easier to shoot.  There's a huge difference between the newer grips they come with nowadays versus the old, small wooden grips they used to sell them with.  The new grips make them easier to shoot.  Of course Holly, you're used to a Glock in .40 S&W so maybe recoil isn't going to be a big issue for you!   ;)

BY THE WAY EVERYONE!

Cheaper Than Dirt has a great sale going on with their Federal Hydra Shoks.  Boxes of 50 rounds for 25 to 28 dollars depending on caliber.  I will post item numbers and prices tomorrow for anyone interested.  I'm gonna stock up on .45's and 9mm's, maybe some .38 Spl +P and .357 Mag, too.

I just picked up a 5-gallon bucket of brass (mostly 9mm & .38 spl) from my folks' house. Now to get powder! I've got probably 2000 pistol primers. It's terrible out there! Even Cabela's in Reno has a sign on the shelf that says (1 box per customer per day). Ridiculous. Wait till everything settles down and these folks want to off load the hoarding.

I looked at those at the gun shop but they didn't feel right in my hand.  I think I'm going to get a S&W .38 snubnose. :thumbsup:  I love those!

I think that would be a good choice for you Holly. Just make sure you get one of those "hammerless" styles so it doesn't hang up in your purse or clothing when you withdraw. Also, if you don't like the handle, there's a variety of options for that style. I have one called the "ladysmith" with a rosewood handle. I traded it for some landscape work for a friend. She had her house broken into and then went on a gun buying spree. So I landscaped her backyard, installed sprinklers and even put in a little putting green for her and got the ladysmith .38, glock 19 9mm, .380 berretta "cheetah" and a Ruger 10/22 out of the deal.

I just picked up a 5-gallon bucket of brass (mostly 9mm & .38 spl) from my folks' house. Now to get powder! I've got probably 2000 pistol primers. It's terrible out there! Even Cabela's in Reno has a sign on the shelf that says (1 box per customer per day). Ridiculous. Wait till everything settles down and these folks want to off load the hoarding.

You are way ahead of the rest if you've got primers.  All you need now is the powder and bullets.  I guess you can't cast your own lead bullets now that there's a ban on lead?  That would suck...

I think that would be a good choice for you Holly. Just make sure you get one of those "hammerless" styles so it doesn't hang up in your purse or clothing when you withdraw. Also, if you don't like the handle, there's a variety of options for that style. I have one called the "ladysmith" with a rosewood handle. I traded it for some landscape work for a friend. She had her house broken into and then went on a gun buying spree. So I landscaped her backyard, installed sprinklers and even put in a little putting green for her and got the ladysmith .38, glock 19 9mm, .380 berretta "cheetah" and a Ruger 10/22 out of the deal.

Lots of good grip styles to choose from nowadays.  Uncle Mike's Boot Grips, Hogue's Bantam, Pachmayr's Compac grip, etc.  You know the main difference between a Ladysmith and a regular S&W (besides the name and the grips) is that the Ladysmith usually has a lighter, smoother trigger pull.

Hurray!  After reading all the wonderful comments and information in our gun section, I have admitted to myself that my Glock .40 "hand cannon" is really too much gun for me to go toting around while hiking.  It was fun to shoot and blow big holes in targets, and I loved the recoil and the big "BOOM!" it made when I fired it, but I can't see me packing it comfortably in the waistband of my hiking shorts which are already a bit snug from last year...:whistle:  SO...I traded it for my aunt Gail's S&W .38 revolver! :thumbsup:

Thanks to everyone who helped me to make this wise decision.  :yes: 

Now...I need a holster...

You weren't suppose to dry the shorts in the dryer. That's why they shrunk.  :hugegrin:

Oh, bless you, Tatonka!  That must be exactly what happened! :hug:

What, no photos??  :dontgetit:

Of me stuffed in my shorts like a sausage? :unsure:  :rofl:

we want pictures s of the revolver. cross breed holster is suposedly a really good companie I have read a lot of good things on them. so is fobus they have a lot of carry options

Ah, the classic S&W Model 60!  Very nice, indeed!  Now, as for the holster HB is right, they say the Crossbreed holsters are fantastic and comfortable.  They're inside the waistband (IWB) holsters for better concealment.  You'll need to consider how you want to carry the gun, on the belt, small of the back, behind the strong-side hip or in front of the strong side hip, crossdraw, etc.  The way you dress will dictate what you can get away with.  I don't know the law in N.C., but in some states a concealed carry gun MUST be concealed at all times.

Are you going to stick with the original grips or get something like an Uncle Mike's Boot Grip or a Hogue Bantam grip?  Google those to see what I mean.

Uh Blue were not mind readers. I know there must be some reason you reposted her pictures.  :unsure: