WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bobimbob

Favorite big game cartridge

What is your favorite cartridge, do you retain the same bullet style/weight for all big game?

Do have a favorite brand of ammunition?

Guest adrenjunky

30-06

110-220 grain

Nosler or Hornady bullets

Ill bet those feral hogs are pretty good eaten. Farm boys know how much better ground raised hogs are over hog confinement hogs. Same for chickens.

Your right about those 177 air rifles. Dont tell Dave but a squirrel Kept getting on my bird feeder so I shot him in the butt with my pump up 177 and he fell over dead. :cry:

I didnt want to kill him and I only had a couple of pumps in it. 8|

Heart attack? :whistle:

Oops forgot to respond to Bobs question.

The only calibers, I have any long term experience with are .300 Savage and .30-06.  That lever action .300 Savage was a sweet shooting rifle that was extremely accurate for me out to 200+ yards and did fine on deer sized game.  Though, I had never hunted with it, so my statement is based on a friend that used it for several years with iron sights. 

The Savage 06 that I owned drove tacks at 200 yards.  Putting 3 rounds into a half dollar.  Two of them were almost same hole.  This using an inexpensive scope.

My biggest caliber right now is 243. Hand loads v max boat tail with hodgdon h335 34gr. 3260 ft. per. sec.sometimes 70 gr.nozlers with varget hodgdon.

Ra, my friend's Savage will do the same thing clover leafs all day!!! and the worst part of it he wont sell it to me :lol: Savage do meke accurate rifles, indeed.

My little .308 Rem bolt is good but doeas not touch holes and keep zero like my///his Savage.

Guest HazeyWolf

Anybody out there ever try a .454 Casull?  I'm thinking of a matched pistol/lever gun set that will run cheap .45 ACP for target practice and also be worthy of large game at medium ranges with .454...

I'm not much of a hunter at all... I used to plink and take small game, back in the day.  I'm set up with a cheap SU-16B thats CA legal, with Nosler Ballistic Tips or Winchester Silver Tip for medium sized critters, but .223 is illegal for dear out here, and rightly so... There are some pretty mean pump-action Air .177 air guns on the market these days for small game that I'd like to try out... (don't laugh! those air guns are cool!)... plenty of quiet, cheap plinking power for tree rats, rabbit, and small fowl... that second shot may take a while to ready though...

I often hear about how hard it can be to get .308 during hunting season... but most folks leave the state for elk and bear.

The only folks I run into out here that hand-load are shotgunner's who shoot skeet... There's lots of bow-hunters here, though - especially after feral hogs...

12 guage deer slug.

That's what I use for black bear if I'm not using a bow...the 12GA. at close range is far more effective then any high power rifle used at the same close distance.

Alot of our southern counties only allow shotguns because of populated areas for deer hunting.