WildSurvive Forum

Ladies and Gents, I need your advice on a minor issue. I'm in the market for field pants. I will eventually get a couple of pair of Filson Whip Cords, but at $180.00+ a pair, it might be a while. I like the utility of the BDU style for 2+ seasons and have wool for winter. I go back and forth between cotton or 60/40 +/- mix, and something like Carrharts. I'm leery of cotton, for all the well known reasons, but have seen what happens to people when their synthetics catch fire, not something I'm interested in experiencing. I know, life is a compromise, you buys you ticket, and yous takes yous chances, and sh!# happens, but... Do Carrharts and their ilk dry fast enough to be safe?

Ive started with lite and medium weight Ice Breaker merino wool base layers (very nice, but no fly???), and can layer them if necessary. Now I'm looking for the pants to go over them. Your input/experiences would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Regards, Jim

Ladies and Gents, I need your advice on a minor issue. I'm in the market for field pants. I will eventually get a couple of pair of Filson Whip Cords, but at $180.00+ a pair, it might be a while. I like the utility of the BDU style for 2+ seasons and have wool for winter. I go back and forth between cotton or 60/40 +/- mix, and something like Carrharts. I'm leery of cotton, for all the well known reasons, but have seen what happens to people when their synthetics catch fire, not something I'm interested in experiencing. I know, life is a compromise, you buys you ticket, and yous takes yous chances, and sh!# happens, but... Do Carrharts and their ilk dry fast enough to be safe?

Ive started with lite and medium weight Ice Breaker merino wool base layers (very nice, but no fly???), and can layer them if necessary. Now I'm looking for the pants to go over them. Your input/experiences would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Regards, Jim

I wore carharts alot in my union days, I like the way they wear and handle rough environments, and it takes a lot of really intense sparks to set them on fire, but I've never given much thought to how quickly they dry because I always had more to swap on wet days, but the heavy weight ones are heavy enough dry I would not want to hike long in them wet if it were raining, especially with other wet layers under them, and I sure wouldn't want to swim in them, but then the few times I had to cross lager bodies of water I've done as I was taught and made a small raft to haul my stuff on, stripped, and swam across pulling the raft and had dry clothes to put on when I got to the other side. Your clothes won't keep you warm while swimming and only make you get tired quicker. I wouldn't mind having some carharts along on a longterm situation in a cold environment such as yours, but here in mine I wouldn't want them for everyday wear except for one month out of the year.

Sir, thanks for the advice, I'm concerned with cotton from the perspective of hypothermia. You can loose allot of heat through your legs, specifically your thighs. I wear wool undies for their warm when wet factor. I don't know if canvas preforms or behaves differently then other cotton when wet, but if my experience with canvas tents in my BSA days is any indication, they don't, but I wasn't wearing my tent, just schlepping it. OK lets narrow this down, cotton or synthetic BDU's? Jim

Jim,

i would go for the 60/40 blend BDU's. In the winter you will be wearing outdoor clothing . And that should be gore tex or some other waterproof garmet. As for it being flame resistant unless you buy nomex clothing or indura cotton it wont be fire resistant. And remember that wool burns also and when it does it releases toxic gas. And 5.11 tactical makes some good pants and shirts. Just findyourself some good long wearing BDU pants that can take a beating. Plus with the BDU's you can always modify them by adding more pockets to them for carrying more gear in your pockets and what not.

Tatonka, Thanks for the response,

Anything will burn, given enough heat and duration, and the blend probably wouldn't be as bad as like pile or nylon when it catches, but the synthetics stick to you when they burn, there by increasing the severity of the injury. This problem has been noted in the GWOT,as well as outdoors people.

So who makes a" long wearing BDU pants". I need to do this on line so sources would help. Thanks in advance, Jim

I wear Canadian BDU's in warm weather and Swedish/German Army Wool Pants in the cold months. I use microfleece johns when the temps really drop. Surplus BDU's are my choice because I crawl around in some pretty thick stuff and destroying a set of BDU's doesn't put me out as much cash. The Swede/German woolly's are the best cold weather pants I have ever owned and I'm running into people who have come to the same conclusion.

Here is my source for the wool pants....

http://west.loadup.com/military/surplus/23259.html

Jim,

You can check out www.fireauthority.com. 5.11 tactical makes some good pants. Alot of spec ops use them. Or go to any army surplus store and get some. Or check out the US Cav store. Or Brigade Quartermasters.

And Asdamice thanks for that link. I am looking for a pair of them myself.

So sorry Aligator for jumping in w/o the info you need, but this site listed is so cool to torment someone with.  Go to the siren sounds demo and crank up your volume.  Watch the dog's head turn.

www.fireauthority.com 

Tatonka, I'm having a blast ticking someone off right now.   :reallymad: :rant: :ranting:    happy097.gif :rofll:

Lost, I was going on a call once and I was using the siren, and my partner asked me how I was getting it to do what it was doing, I just smiled at him. It's called tickling the siren. Sirens and I go back a ways. Jim

PS, Thanks for the link

I bought some Columbia hiking pants and can't stand them.  They get SO full of static electricity, even in the summer. 

I have to find some good winter pants too, so these links are wonderful! :thumbsup:

In the summer, it gets so hot here, we try to wear as little as possible.  I'm usually pretty comfortable in a pair of camo shorts or even my Levi shorts with a light cotton t-shirt.  We have a saying here in the South "If you DON'T sweat, you die!" :rofl: (Sorry, Les, couldn't resist!)

Holly, but don't you find long pants more protective from brush and thorns etc?

Ever since my last adventure where "Holly meets The Chiggers", I rarely go anywhere with brush and thorns. :hugegrin:  I'm mostly climbing around on big rocks or walking wooded trails these days.

Thank you, most appreciated, but I like to get dirty when i'm in the woods. I'm down on my hands and knees exploring all the nooks and cranies. I know, curiosity killed the cat, but my wiskers aren't that long. Jim

For brush and thorns you can't hardly beat Walls or Carhartt's canvas pants for keeping them off.

For keeping the pants off? :unsure:  :woot:  :rofl:  Sorry, nurkerool! :whistle:

For keeping the pants off?

tsk tsk tsk, Holly.  Here I am all innocent and everything....y'all have no idea that my mind has to get on a ladder to make it to the gutter.

Lost,

Is the dog over the siren trauma now. Well it's a good site for that and to be able to scare people into thinking the police are coming. :naughty:

Short Ladder.  JUST KIDDING.

Long ladder.  That's deep mire down there in my brain.  I dunno though...I've never mooned the wife on a full lunar eclipse evening.  Heh heh heh, Holly!!!

Now she's got me thinking about it...Nurk wanders off to find an almanac or something to figure out when the next eclipse is.

This is a 12-ounce 100% top quality cotton duck Carpenter Jean that comes in a dark brown. It's cut to a relaxed fit that allows for a bit of extra room in the seat and thigh area. It also features a waist that sits slightly below your natural waist. In other words, a design that gives you extra room for comfort and ease of movement on-the-job. Features include double hammer loops, utility band, and cell phone and ruler pockets. 17.5-inch leg openings slip easily over work boots. Handy, comfortable, and all Carhartt.

About $50, but with care, these last a long, long time.  I've got a pair of the overalls that must be 20 years old.

B174DKB?wid=250&hei=250

Logging is gritty, dirty, tough work. Always has been, always will be. And you don’t have time for gear that can’t cut it. So pull on our Fire Hose® Loggers. Not just rugged 11-oz. Fire Hose canvas, these pants boast double chap construction that gives you two layers of toughness where it really counts. So you can fell trees, buck logs, bust brush all season without blowing out the knees or shredding the thighs. And that’s just the opening act for these bruisers. Because our Loggers also pack triple-stitched main seams, a crotch gusset for ease when you crouch to make your face cut, utility loops on each thigh. Plus suspender buttons inside the waistband, bigger back patch pockets, three side utility pockets and Fire Hose-lined front pockets that go a full 12" deep for serious carrying capacity. Just add sawdust. Available in brown and dark brown.

About $50

46014cc.jpg&width=500&height=500