WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bobimbob

Small game firearm

I mostly hunt pheasant.  I use a 12 gauge Mossberg.  It has worked well for me.  A little......no alot on the heavy side, but it is what I have. 

For grouse, partridge, rabbits and hares I use a Ruger 77/22 lr in the all weather style. It has a peep sight as well as a scope that can be installed in 5 seconds or less. Extremely rugged and good shooting this would be my choice for a "survival" rifle.

I cut my teeth with a "Cooey" .22lr single shot, and would not consider beeing under gunned with it, still is one my favorite. 

Guest adrenjunky

12 or 20g shot guns Beretta's

22 lr Ruger and Rem.

Well small game season is here, partridge, grouse, squirels, hares and rabbits to pass the time inbetween large game, do you mix hunt? 

Deer usually only last about 5-7 days depending the hunting area, do you sharpen your skill with the smaller critters?

Hmm, yeah I guess it's classified a firearm in California.  I pretty much hunted exclusively with a longbow or recurve and when I get my body back into condition, I will again. ::)

Guest adrenjunky

Small game I hunt: ducks, geese, pheasants, grouse are the main. Rabbits, coyotees, squirels aren't safe though.

Are whitetail season, for firearms lasts 15 days, and bow season lasts for about 5 months. Michigan is about 1 million deer over population.

I've got an old Remington 510 Targetmaster single-shot .22 (s, l, lr) that's older than me.  I use it for rabbits and squirrels (sorry Dave), usually with Remington Golden bullet solids.  It just has the old iron sights it came with, but it will outshoot most of the people who hold it.

my dad uses a shotgun for every thing

once my mom and dad went hunting(i think before i was born i dont really know they just told me this story) my dad let my mom use the shotgun for hunting birds(forget what kinds) and he put a slug in the gun as a joke and my mom tried to shoot the bird and she got a direct hit first time and my mom didnt known there was a slug in the gun 8| 8| 8| 8| ever since my dad is afraid of my mom with a gun 8| so am i  :hugegrin: :D lol :rofl:

The Marlin Papoose is based on their ubiquitous Model 60 autoloading action, modified for a removable 16.25" stainless steel barrel. Assembled, the Papoose is 35.25" long and weighs only 3.25 pounds. The detachable box magazine holds 7 rounds and the butt stock is injection molded black plastic (there is no forend). The Model 70PSS comes with a padded, floatable, Cordura carrying case. The 2005 MSRP is $318. Once in use, this relatively conventional rifle is probably the more comfortable of the two dedicated survival rifles with which to hunt.

survivalriflemarlinto9.jpg

Does anybody here use the relatively new .177 cal. rimfire? If so, what do you like about it? I'm thinking about getting one, but I can't figure the advantage over an air rifle of the same caliber except maybe a few more FPS. Small calibers like that are usually "skilled" shots so an autoloader doesn't do much good either. Anyway, good, bad or indifferent, I would like some feedback on the .177.

Rocky

The new pellet guns are Very accurate and have enough power to kill (sorry Dave) squirrels and rabbits plus any small game. As a survival gun they are very underrated and not so much regulated by gun laws. Plus their quiet enough to get away with firring inside city limits/( Too bad for cats raping each other in my yard or camped out under my bird feeder)

They have national target shooting compitions around the U.S. with pellet guns

The new pellet guns are Very accurate and have enough power to kill (sorry Dave) squirrels and rabbits plus any small game. As a survival gun they are very underrated and not so much regulated by gun laws. Plus their quiet enough to get away with firring inside city limits/( Too bad for cats raping each other in my yard or camped out under my bird feeder)

They have national target shooting compitions around the U.S. with pellet guns

I have to agree with you Swede, I kinda came to the same conclusion. I'm just attracted to the rimfire .177 because it's got gunpowder involved, man thing you know. I think a pump action air rifle made into a carbine model would be ideal for survival! I wouldn't use it in bear country, but riding out in the desert would be perfect! Take out lizards, snakes, squirrels (again, no offense Dave) whatever to feast on. Heck, you could carry 500 rounds in one pocket and shoot em all as long as you could keep pumping!

I guess the .177 rimfire is out.

Oh yeah Ive never heard it called 177. Everybody's getten one around here. I just traded for a Remington woodsmaster 742 auto 30-06. I just put a tasco 3x9x50 mm scope on it and I haven't sighted it in yet. Want the job?  :'( All they had at the store where I bought them was 125 grain. OUCH