WildSurvive Forum

LOST has started a wonderful thing by giving me "assignments", geared to help teach me to think about possible survival scenarios and how to survive them.  After I fumble through them and then get rescued by cute helicopter dudes, LOST has been patient and kind enough to help me see where I may do things differently, and thereby increase my chances of coming home safely.  :hugegrin:

I thought it would be fun to ask other members "What Would You Do" by assigning willing members a survival scenario and asking that member to tell us what he or she would do in that scenario.

Our first victim, I mean our first survivalist to take the challenge is Survivor Kid...

SK, you are out hiking about 5 miles from your house one winter's day, taking pictures like you usually do, when suddenly the wind starts blowing and the snow comes down so fast, you cannot see more than 2 feet in front of you.  All you have on you is your daypack that you normally take with you.  You know you cannot try to find your way home in the storm because it is white-out condition.  You are somewhere in an open field, with no houses within 5 miles of you... 

Step by step, describe exactly what you would do and how you plan to survive...

Hmmm... 5 miles away, I would have my big daypack.  Plus my belt kit, plus my shovel would be in because its 5 miles away in winter.  OK, I do have a question, do I get to pick a spot I know of around 5 miles from my house, or am I going to be supplied with one?

Nope, I have chosen the spot as somebody's empty field.  There are some woods about a hundred yards to your left and in front of you, then more open fields to the right and behind you. 

SK, you have icicles hanging from your ears, my friend.  Am I going to have to send out my cute helicopter dudes to rescue you? :P

Good scenerio. Do you setup shop in the field where aircraft could see you, or break for the bush, and shelter.....

Answer her damnit. I want to know....  scared011.gif

Day one-

Wait a second, wait a second.... great, thats the perfect shot.  I turn around and realize that what was my beautiful backdrop earlier in the day, is now a solid wall of snow, blowing right at me.  I turn around, and my already cold body starts shaking as the wind pounds on my back.  I look infront of me but can't see anything but my own two feet. 

"Where do I go, what am I going to do?"  I start thinking to myself.  Wait, I have all kinds of pictures with me from today, I'll use that to find my way.

I turn on my camera as I continuosly shiver, and look at the days pictures.  It may not be very clear on the small screen, but I can see that there is a small drop off, about five feet in front of me.  I start walking forward, one, two, three, four, five.... I was right, I fall about five feet off a small sheer cliff. 

Now I am at least safe for the time being, the wind isn't nearly as bad here.  I look at the rest of my pictures and notice that there is also a timber, its only 100 yards away, but I don't dare try to reach it now, for the risk of getting lost in the blizzard.

The snow has already piled up from earlier in the year, and there is about three feet of snow on the ground.  I can see the idea already forming in my head, yes, it will have to work!  I pull my pack off my back and dig out my shovel. I take my flashlight off my belt and turn it on, then I start digging a trench right up against the cliff.  I finally hit solid ground after thirty minutes work.  I make sure to take it slow because, if you sweat, you will die.  I continue to slowly dig myself a trench big enough for me to lay in, it looks kind of like a coffin, lets hope its not going to be mine!

After a very cold hour and a half, I have my trench.  I put my pack down in the trench on one end, then dig out my 2 thermal blankets, tarp, wool blanket, bunsen burner tripod legs, my small butter knife out or my untensils kit, a granola bar, and garbage bags.

First I dig a small tunnel off from the side of the trench, just in case I need to get out. I then take the tarp, and silver side up pound two corners of it onto the top edge of the cliff with two of the tripod legs, then pound the other two corners tightly into edge of my trench with the tripod leg and small butter knife.  This gives me a nice layer of protection from remaining wind, and the snow.  After that, I take my three garbage bags and unfold them.  Then lay them in a nice cover on the ground.  This stops any melting snow from soaking me.  I also poke large holes into the ground at the lowest point in the trench, so melting snow can go down through there.  I then take my disposable emergency thermal blanket and put in ontop of the trash bags.

I take off my coat and snow pants, and roll them up to make a pillow.  Then I eat one of the granola bars, to soothe my starving stomach.  After I finish my little snack I take my wool nlanket, wrap up in it, put the reuseable emergency blanket over me, turn my flashlight off, then lay down on my "pillow" trying to drift off to sleep, away from all of this...

Boy you sure are trying hard SK.  Hope you can stay warm.  I am waiting for the rest of your ideas.

I have to know though, is it ok so far, or did I die?

Sprained ankle from the drop? 5 feet may as well be 5 stories when you're not ready for it.

Excellent, SK!

I love how you remembered to put the garbage bag layer down to keep the wet cold ground from seeping into your clothes. :yes:

I would probably leave my coat and snow pants on, in case the temps drop in the night. 

You are doing really well your first night out! :thumbsup:

Sprained ankle from the drop? 5 feet may as well be 5 stories when you're not ready for it.

He's a teenager, ant.  They bounce! :hugegrin:

I have to know though, is it ok so far, or did I die?

I have one question at this point without going into details.  Was this 5 foot drop (cliff) part of a larger drop, or did it level out somehow into another field? 

I have one question at this point without going into details.  Was this 5 foot drop (cliff) part of a larger drop, or did it level out somehow into another field? 

Level off into another flat field, I am thinking of a field a ways down the road from my house, minus the houses.  Its a weird drop off.  Plus the snow on the ground would cushion my fall, or so I was thinking.

Level off into another flat field, I am thinking of a field a ways down the road from my house, minus the houses.  Its a weird drop off.  Plus the snow on the ground would cushion my fall, or so I was thinking.

Good.  More SK.

Day 2

I wake up once during the evening, due to the uncomfortableness (I don't think thats a word but who cares) of my little trench.  I wake up a second time, a little chilly, so I take my now dry snowpants and coat and put them back on.  Then I snuggle up in my blankets again.  Then, I wake up and check the time on my phone, 6:30, and the sun is rising, wait, I can see the sun, no more blowing snow, no more horrible blizzard. 

I check my bars on my phone, two bars, maybe it will work.  I call home, no anwser at all, power must be out.  So I try my parents and friends cell phones, you HAVE to be kidding me, all of them have their phones off.  I leave a message on everyones phones, telling them where I am and that I'm ok.

I look down towards the trees and decide I need a fire and some food.  Since I have no alchohol stove, I walk down to the trees, it takes me half an hour because of the depth of the snow.  Finally I reach the trees.  Now time to start a fire.  I gather up some little limbs that have fallen during the storm, and cut off some bigger branches on a dead tree.  Then I take my lighter and light a tea light candle.  I then put it aside in a little dug out cave, so it won't be blown out.  I take some of the larger limbs and make a platform for my fire, so it won't sink into the snow as fast.  Then I light half my fatwood stick, and start the kindling on fire as I slowly add larger branches.  I finally get a good cooking fire going, then I melt some snow for water.  I pour some of it into my cup and make hot cocoa.  I use the rest of it to make a package of instant ramen.

I eat my ramen and drink my cocoa, glad to have somthing in my stomach, when I hear somthing.  My heart jumps when I realize its a plane, but it sinks right down to rock bottom when I see that its a jet, 20,000 feet above me, and those people are warm, and drinking, and watching a movie.  Oh well, I don't need their movie or free peanuts, or cocktails, I am going to get home just fine! 

Then, set on being rescued, I dig a huge snow SOS so that it casts a shadow.  Hopefully someone will see it.  Then I take out my small pocket bible and read for an hour, praying the whole time that someone will come to rescue me.  After my prayer I start thinking abount how uncomfortable it was in my trench last night.  So I cut off a large pile of pine boughs, tie them together, and carry them back to my tench, where I make a little materess out of them.

After nestleing down in my shelter for awhile, I step out and let go of three, long, loud blasts, with a couple seconds in between from my whistle.  I do this onces every minute for half an hour, hoping someone will hear me.  I then take one of my disposable emergency blankets and tie it up to a stick, like a flag blowing in the wind.  Hoping it attracts some attention. 

Come evening, the clouds are gone and I can see the half moon.  I shine my flahflights around for awhile, looking to grab somones attention, then go back to sleep in my little trench, now with some pine bedding.

SK - You are doing very well now.  Keep going.  You are using your thinking abilities.  Excellent work.  Another question - Do you think at anypoint here you may have felt some anxiety or fear?

Day 2

I check my bars on my phone, two bars, maybe it will work.  I call home, no anwser at all, power must be out.  So I try my parents and friends cell phones, you HAVE to be kidding me, all of them have their phones off.  I leave a message on everyones phones, telling them where I am and that I'm ok.

- I found out that even if you can't get a signal out to make a call, you can send a text and it usually will get out.

I take some of the larger limbs and make a platform for my fire, so it won't sink into the snow as fast.

- Excellent, SK!

Then, set on being rescued, I dig a huge snow SOS so that it casts a shadow.  Hopefully someone will see it.  Then I take out my small pocket bible and read for an hour, praying the whole time that someone will come to rescue me.  After my prayer I start thinking abount how uncomfortable it was in my trench last night.  So I cut off a large pile of pine boughs, tie them together, and carry them back to my tench, where I make a little materess out of them.

- Keeping your spirit up is so vital, SK.  And being proactive is the best thing you can do to keep yourself alive.

After nestleing down in my shelter for awhile, I step out and let go of three, long, loud blasts, with a couple seconds in between from my whistle.  I do this onces every minute for half an hour, hoping someone will hear me.  I then take one of my disposable emergency blankets and tie it up to a stick, like a flag blowing in the wind.  Hoping it attracts some attention.

Come evening, the clouds are gone and I can see the half moon.  I shine my flahflights around for awhile, looking to grab somones attention, then go back to sleep in my little trench, now with some pine bedding.

- This is wonderful!  You've utilized several methods of being "found".  Way to go! :thumbsup:

SK - You are doing very well now.  Keep going.  You are using your thinking abilities.  Excellent work.  Another question - Do you think at anypoint here you may have felt some anxiety or fear?

I guarentee it, thats going to be written in soon  :devil: