WildSurvive Forum

happy070.gif that was cool and informative. Hers a question i was thinking about what would/should you bring for clothing in my bag I've started caring  a tint (build in tarp and mosquito net all in one ) and a wool blanket but that leaves no room for clothing and i don't have any money right now nor do i know if they make the pants that unzip and turn into shorts anymore. so what to do?

Guest smallgamehunter

ill volunteer to be the next survivalist /victim

Wear enough clothes for 15 degrees below forcasted weather.  Make sure to LAYER!!!!  Just slowly shed as you need to...

As far as who is up next, I was thinking about having one for everyone to participate in to see what others would do in the same situation, and then we can help eachother...

OK, I finally have gotten around to writing up something for this…  Your situation is as follows-

You were hiking on a new trail in Yellowstone National Park, wanting to be the first person to check out this trail you decide to hike the trail before the grand opening.  It is summer, 80’s during the day, 40’s at night; scattered showers are predicted for the next few days with a chance of flash flooding.  You figure you can complete the trail in less than a day so you set off early in the morning.  Around 4 in the afternoon, something caught your eye off trail so you went to check it out, it turns out that it was just a plastic bag.  You go to head back to the trail when you realize that you don’t know where the trail is…  In your panic you start running to find the trail.  In your rush you don’t notice the tree root sticking up above ground in your path.  You proceed to trip over the root, and roll down a rather large hill. On the way down you hit your face on a branch, then at the base of the hill you collide with a pile of rocks.  You are in quite a bit of pain but you don’t think anything is broken…. But wait…. You can only see out of one eye…  Its not bleeding, but you cannot see…. This is going to be bad!

Your only equipment is-

-A small hatchet, a Frost Mora Clipper, a Leatherman Wave, a lighter, a small container of tinder, a firesteel, 1 US GI Nylon Poncho, 1 emegency blanket, a small signal mirror, a metal cup, a bandana, 1 packet of Ramen, 2 liters of water, 50’ 550 Para cord, a whistle, a .22 pistol with 5 rounds, 53 cents in change, 2 ballpoint pens, 3 rubber bands, a digital camera, a yo-yo, and your clothes. 

Your directions are simple, your need to survive for 4 days, this is day one.  On day 4 at 1700 hours a rescue helicopter will pick you up.  Of course you don’t know that though, so plan accordingly.  The terrain around you is millions of acres of lodgepole pine forest on very large mountains, then a river valley down below.  Now write up what you would do day by day to survive this, and get your way out.  PS, there aren’t any nearby roads.  Report back with what you would do, and then you can compare your answers with other survivors.  This is for anyone!!!  No prizes will be awarded, this is just to get you thinking.

First I'm going to have to access the damage to my eye and check for any other debilitating injuries. I may have to rig an eye patch over my injured eye.

Next Im going to have to over come the panic I just went through and gather my thoughts, calm down and start a plan. I have to decide if I want to keep looking for the trail or begin searching for a place to set in and wait for help and rescue.I know the trail will be open soon and a new trail will be busy.

I can see storm clouds so I will need to decide on a shelter to try to stay as dry as possible knowing nights are going to be cold enough for hypothermia if Im wet.I begin to take stock of my gear.

Guest smallgamehunter

Your only equipment is-

-A small hatchet, a Frost Mora Clipper, a Leatherman Wave, a lighter, a small container of tinder, a firesteel, 1 US GI Nylon Poncho, 1 emegency blanket, a small signal mirror, a metal cup, a bandana, 1 packet of Ramen, 2 liters of water, 50’ 550 Para cord, a whistle, a .22 pistol with 5 rounds, 53 cents in change, 2 ballpoint pens, 3 rubber bands, a digital camera, a yo-yo, and your clothes. 

this is more gear then i would have dayhiking 

ill volunteer to be the next survivalist /victim

this is more gear then i would have dayhiking 

SGH, Here is your challenge ( since you volunteered  :woot: ) If you choose to accept this assignment :hugegrin:

While you were hiking this trail and took this fall your pack opened up and you lost the following items, The leatherman wave, hatchet, lighter, camera and the pistol with the ammo. Now you will have to survive out in the back country of Yellowstone for 4 days . Your eye is only closed due to a hematoma. So no serious injuries have occurred. The rest of SK's scenerio applies

Guest smallgamehunter

i would make some type of patch for my bad eye using the bandana then i make my way down to the river valley to be closer to a water source and to be spotted easier. once down to the valley i would look around for firewood to make a fire to dry out my clothes and for green pines branches to make a signal fire. i would make a fire to dry out my clothes with the emergency blanket wrapped around my back to act as a reflector for the heat. i would pitch the poncho as a lean to once my clothes were dry. then i would attempt to get some sleep. end day 1...

the next morning i would forage around for wild edibles including any edible bugs if i found some i would return to my camp and make a soup if i had plants and fry the bugs, if i found none i would return to camp and make the pack of ramen noodles payin attention for any possible sources of fatwood. i would remain in camp after i ate to relax and ponder how i managed to get myself into this situation and think of how i was gonna explain my stupidity to my wife. end day 2

morning of day 3 i would remove the inner strands from a 10 ft piece of para cord to make some improvised snares and fishing line. i would make a dozen snares and use the rest as fishing line i would set the snares out then make myself a gorge out of a small piece of wood found on my way to set the snares. i would scour the river bank looking for anything i could use for bait and try some fishing for a couple of hours. if successful fishing i would return to camp gut the fish place the fish on a spit and roast it on the fire if unsuccessful i would check the snares finding a rabbit in the snares i would head back to camp after checking all snares and dress out the rabbit to prepare it for soup. if the snares were empty i would head back to camp and get some sleep. end day 3

day 4 i would just stay in camp by my fire doing as little as possible by now hearing boat noise on the river and helicopters in the air i would light my signal fire and start blowing s.o.s. on my whistle. spottin a chopper in the air i would begin flashing with my signal mirror hoping to be spotted  after being spotted by the chopper i would relax  end of day 4

Guest smallgamehunter

i would like to point out i wrote the assuming that the metal cup was a military issue canteen cup or one of similar size.

and u left out a first aid kit SK

Ok the SHTF and people are evacuating cities and towns across the country. You have to bug out. Your vehicle only will have a full tank of gas. And you will not get the mileage that you would get if you were driving on uncongested roads with traffic moving at the speed limit. So what are you going to do after you get stuck in traffic that hasn't moved in hours. Or you have run out of gas. What have you taken with you when you left your home? How much food were you able to pack in your vehicle? What other gear did you bring?

You are days away from making it to a safe place. How do you plan to make it there?

Great idea to add the injury scenario because so many times, it is a injury that causes the survival situation. Many have a good pack and quite a bit of gear but, can you use it with one hand? One foot? Next time you go out, tie an arm behind you or cover one or both eyes, Now where do you stand. Good practice and this thinking practice is good.

I would have enough food water for 3 days I have my fire starting kit and a sleeping bag in the trunk of a care with blankets. my multitool first aid kit map whistle all in my bob.

How did I not see this thread before? Briliant :thumbsup:

Tatonka, do we know why we are evacuating? Depending on the situation I would usually always stay with the vehicle for as long as possible. If I then ran out of gas I would start calling friends and family to see if they could help. If I had no cell reception I would most likely still stay with the vehicle assuming I was out of danger. In the car I'd take all my camping gear which is always kept together in the same place for quick and easy access, knives, blankets, tent, cooking gear, first aid, water, fuel for gas stove, shovel etc. I would also grab as many canned goods and long shelf life items as i could, long life milk, soups, pasta etc as well as the 5kg (10lbs) bag of rice I keep in the pantry. Once again depending on the reason for evacuation I would consider taking gardening implements and seeds to start a garden.

Two things this exercise has made me realise is:

1. I need to keep a supply of clean drinking water in containers that can be carried. Hopefully in this situation I would have enough time to fill some containers.

2. I don't have a survival kit for my daughter, nappies, clothes, wipes, and formula would be a good start.

BTW, What is the SHTF?

Say you're at work and you were ordered to evacuate but you were unable to return home. What supplies do you keep at work and what supplies at your work place could be used to help you survive? Think food, water, shelter, protection etc.

Matt, You have to bug out because of the disaster and you can only drive your vehicle on one tank of gas. The object of this is to make you think and come up with a plan to get yourself and family to a safe place after you have bugged out. You won't be able to call anyone for more gas because the gas supplies are all gone from people hoarding them and everyone trying to get away. And the roads are really congested. Think of the pictures from when Hurricane Katrina was bearing down on the states, those long lines of cars on the highways. So you have to figure out what to do when your car runs out of gas. The communication towers for cell service will be overloaded so that option of using your cellphone to call someone will fail. You may be able to text as texting has been proven to work more effectively when you can't get phone service.