WildSurvive Forum

Some other things to keep in your TEOTWAWKI kit, phone books and street maps for surrounding towns and cities.    Grocery stores looted, use the directory and map to find nursery/greenhouses or warehouses.    Drug stores and doctor offices empty, you can find vets offices, animal shelters, or the county co-op, they all have pain meds and antibiotics on hand.  Want to find other people, the National Guard Armory, fire stations, and police stations are listed and probably a place people will go to seek stability.

I've been toying with the idea of writing up a 'TEOTWAWKI Shopping Guide' to help find things after things settle down.

Matt, You have to bug out because of the disaster and you can only drive your vehicle on one tank of gas. The object of this is to make you think and come up with a plan to get yourself and family to a safe place after you have bugged out. You won't be able to call anyone for more gas because the gas supplies are all gone from people hoarding them and everyone trying to get away. And the roads are really congested. Think of the pictures from when Hurricane Katrina was bearing down on the states, those long lines of cars on the highways. So you have to figure out what to do when your car runs out of gas. The communication towers for cell service will be overloaded so that option of using your cellphone to call someone will fail. You may be able to text as texting has been proven to work more effectively when you can't get phone service.

If this was a real life situation and i had a full tank of gas I would drive to my folks farm. Being that I live in a smallish town there would not really be any traffic.

However, if I did run out of gas my priority would be getting more. First thing i would do is use any oil I could find as fuel, If i knew I was going to run out of fuel I would mix it beforehand, thus preventing me from running the car on almost straight oil.

If I had one tank of as I would drive to work and take the three axle wrecker load the blazer on it andget all the fuel I can via a syphoning pump maching and load it on the truck. Then drive to our other yard tat has a 4,000 gallon deisle storage tank and get all the deisel I can possably store and head out of town takeing my time moving slowly avoiding reguraly traveld roads in hopes of less traffic.I figure with the tow truck I would be able to use it to move almost anny road blockage in my way and there's a wide veriaty tools on the truck and the abilitys to store aton more as needed. What is other peoples thoughts as I'm really considering this if things get really bad if you have questions ask and ill see what I can do about answering them

Guys your missing the whole point of this exercise. It is to make you think of other ways to get to your intended safe zone. There is absolute gridlock on all the roads. You can't get back to work to get anything. There is no extra fuel that has been gone for hours. 1 tank of gas is all you have for your vehicle. And you have run out now. What other ways could you use to get yourself to a safe zone for you and your family?

Matt I know your in a small town but think of it as your coming from a larger city down there having to get outside of town into the country and a safe zone.

The only method I can think of would be to take bikes, walking is not really an option due to the distance needed to be covered and even bikes would be a struggle. I guess if you were near water you could try and boat out.

If I was in the nearest city, traveling by boat would be a problem, water there runs to the Mississippi river and I live on the Tennessee river side of the local divide.

The only method I can think of would be to take bikes, walking is not really an option due to the distance needed to be covered and even bikes would be a struggle. I guess if you were near water you could try and boat out.

Matt now your starting to think. Bikes would be a other means of travel as would walking. With walking you could only carry as much gear as you could carry. But if you pack a bike with that gear you could carry more. And with bikes you can tow a trailer carrying gear also. There is no time limit to get to a safe one. Either by walking or riding a bike you can also get off the most traveled routes and out of site for the most part. Don't discount either option when looking at making a bug out plan. Case in history the N. Vietnamese used bikes to transport supplies down the Ho Chi Mien Trail with great success. And the other option is travel by boat.

This is a exercise to make you think on different ways to bug out after you have used that tank of fuel. And this exercise is a real possibility in most cases. The sun could unleash a Coronal Mass Ejection ( CME ) that could knock out the power grid permanently which would leave everything that is powered by the grid dead. So you would have but that one tank of gas, no running water in your home, no electricity and so forth.

Matt now your starting to think. Bikes would be a other means of travel as would walking. With walking you could only carry as much gear as you could carry. But if you pack a bike with that gear you could carry more. And with bikes you can tow a trailer carrying gear also. There is no time limit to get to a safe one. Either by walking or riding a bike you can also get off the most traveled routes and out of site for the most part. Don't discount either option when looking at making a bug out plan. Case in history the N. Vietnamese used bikes to transport supplies down the Ho Chi Mien Trail with great success. And the other option is travel by boat.

This is a exercise to make you think on different ways to bug out after you have used that tank of fuel. And this exercise is a real possibility in most cases. The sun could unleash a Coronal Mass Ejection ( CME ) that could knock out the power grid permanently which would leave everything that is powered by the grid dead. So you would have but that one tank of gas, no running water in your home, no electricity and so forth.

It's a good thought provoking exercise, and yes bikes would be good, here I might well make a raft...or steal a boat. Also, if I am smart/lucky enough not to be caught permanently marred in the gridlock I may well be up under the abandoned cars that are punching holes in the new plastic gas tanks and collecting the last of their "reserve" fuel that can't be drawn out by the fuel pump  :hugegrin:

I think this is a good topic and we ought to revisit it.

Using what you have learned since the original post, what would you do or do differently?

More bug out spots, having one or two isn't enough. During the floods last year all roads south were cut off which meant If I did have to leave I couldn't make it to my bug out locations.