WildSurvive Forum

How to use this as tinder? I've hear anything from its flash vaporzes, to intensley explodes, to smolders with a coal. Help?

Also, haw much would you need to lite other tinder, a.k.a., is the flame from a handful or so, good enought to light, say, bracken, or cedar bark?

Help on cattail fluff tinder, basically....

Dan

Go out and try it :)

Really, I don't use it much, personally don't like it to much.  Though it can be used to make a quick flash of flames, so maybe be used to start jute??? Somthing like that.

Cattail heads when soaked in alcohol and inverted to dry out completely make excellent torches.  The alcohol prevents them from busting open.  Once they are dried of all moisture, then you can soak them in a fatty oil and they will burn for a very long time.

Cattail heads when soaked in alcohol and inverted to dry out completely make excellent torches.  The alcohol prevents them from busting open.  Once they are dried of all moisture, then you can soak them in a fatty oil and they will burn for a very long time.

Another alternative is to spray them with cheap hair spray. I learned this while preserving dried floral arrangements. :)

cattail heads when fluffed take a spark real easy. but they burn out almost as fast. ive used them as coal extenders for friction fire but they shine best when uses with slightly harder to light with a spark natural tinder's. (such as dry grasses or some inner tree barks that don't break down as fine as cedar) I do the birds nest thing like you would do for a coal from a friction fire. but I fold it in half like a taco. lay it on its side so it forms a little cave. I place the fluff inside the cave and hit it with the spark. the short flash from the fluff lights the material above it with its flame. just a tip from my own personal experience playing with the stuff. it works the same for all the other fluffy seed heads you come acrost like milkweed, goldenrod heads and thistle down.