WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Holly

I need your input for a speech I'm giving...

I've been asked to give a speech next month to my aunt's sorority about bug out bags.  I'll be speaking to women who have never even thought about carrying anything with them to women who regularly hunt and fish and always have some type of kit with them. 

I think I'd like to concentrate on a small to medium sized bug out bag.  I don't want to overwhelm anyone with all the scenarios and all the gear they could carry.  I just want them to be prepared for breaking down by the side of the road or maybe being stuck at work overnight, with no help coming for a day or two. 

I would really appreciate any suggestions you may have to help me prepare for this. :thumbsup:

Holly, I would recommend a three to five day bag.

In a true emergency women will need items guys don't.

Change of under garments, clothing and added warm outer wear.  Light weight layering is best.

Rain gear and cover rubber boots.

Hat, warm mittens, scarf.

Then of course the basic sheltering (tarp), paracord, knife, fire starters, flashlight.  Recommend basics on design and brief theories of effectiveness of each.  Location and dangers of poor locations.

Signalling with use of whistle, fire, mirror, items of three layed out for markers, etc.

Some means of water collection and purification.

Food items enough to sustain, not overload, and long shelf life.

Office type: Flashlight, Batteries, Charged Cell Phone, Food Stuffs/Water Bottles, Extra Coat, Poncho, Small Blanket, TP Paper/Tissue, Garbage Bags, Book

Excellent, LOST! :hug: 

I'm planning on typing up all the items in the bug out bag and handing the list out at the end of the meeting.  I'm going to put www.wildsurvive.com at the bottom of the page too, so they can come visit us and check us out! :thumbsup:

Very good idea - then they can really expound on more.  You might even make up a list to include with your handouts, of some survival related books.

I'm going to put www.wildsurvive.com at the bottom of the page too

good idea. so if they have questions or need to know how to do somthing we can help them out.

good luck with your talk. don't fall on your face and don't run into any doors.  :P

Thanks, King!  LOL!  I have a hard time walking and chewing gum at the same time.  If I trip and fall, I'll just jump up and say "And now for my NEXT trick...!"  :rofl:

Holly - get your foot in the door and before you know it you will be giving symposiums around the world in front of thousands.  gen165.gif

Well, maybe in front of some girl scout troop.   :hugegrin:

Just reach out to their hearts and help they see how to activate their minds for any emergency.  :thumbup:

Thank you, LOST.  That is EXACTLY the approach I want to take.  I feel so passionate about my gear and bug out bags, I hope that my enthusiasm will ignite a spark in their hearts too.  I think that ALL women desire to be more self-suffiicient, but might not know how to accomplish it.  I believe that the way to start taking charge of your life is to take it one little step at a time.  And a great way to start is by putting together a bug out bag.  By doing this one simple thing, you are accepting responsibility for your own life, rather than relying on family or friends to come bail you out or relying on the mercy of strangers, in the event that you get stranded somewhere, whether at the office or on the way home, etc. :yes: 

I would also highly recommend everyone having a small portable battery charger in a vehicle.  Too heavy for bug-out-bags, but I have used mine so many times it is worth its weight in gold.  It charges in the house, it has cables to charge car batteries, it has electric outlets for plugging in any regular device, it has a light on it, a tire pressure gauge, a tire air pump with different sized ends, and more.  I paid $39.00 for it at Sam's Club and go no where without it.  I can't tell you how many folks I have helped with it, including myself.  It weighs about 15 pounds and can fit into a child's little day bag.  I bought one of those at a dollar store to keep all the equipment in one place.

Adi mentioned Cody Lundin's book above.  Excellent resource, and he has another called 98.6 Degrees.

I also like the SAS Manual.

Going back to the sea survival courses I did in the past I recall that a Grab Bag contents should be broken down into six categories. These categories can be used in setting up a land based BOB.

They are-

Search and Rescue – These are the items used to signal your location to SAR teams

Maintenance and Protection - These are the items to mend or repair things and Shelter. Tools, zip ties, Gaffer tape, bucket, clothes, blankets, sleeping bags and shelter

Medical – FAK and personal prescription medicines

Food and Drink – food and drink!

Survival and Morale – Long term survival equipment, maps, survival manual and things to help morale, books, playing cards, wind up radio, wash kit, towels.

Personal – id, documents, money, prescription glasses, photos of loved ones and personal inspiration such as a religious book, a book of poems, anything that inspires you and gives you strength.

Nice, Adi!  But I don't see a category for makeup! :unsure:  You KNOW we southern women must have our makeup kits with us at all times! :yes:

Oh, wait...it's under the personal items that inspire us and give us strength! :rofl:

Thanks, Adi, this really is a great breakdown.  It will keep me focused when packing a bag and not put too much in there. :yes:

Oh, and I want to do some give-aways.  I was thinking maybe the Coghlan signal mirror or maybe the Photon keychain light?  What else could I give out that costs around $10 each, for them to put into their bug out bags?

Space Blankets all around.  They are ike 2 bucks each.

Windproof/Waterproof Matches

Disposable Poncho

Whistle

Cord

Glow Light