WildSurvive Forum

I started my first coal burning project today.  So I am not an expert, but maybe someone can learn from my experiences and maybe mistakes.  If anyone has suggestions let me know.  But here it goes.  I will keep adding to this as I gp along.

These two are my start.  I built a good fire and added some coals.

bowl1uf5.jpg

bowl2tp3.jpg

This is me blowing on the coals. 

bowl3en5.jpg

Here it is starting to take shape.

bowl4rv7.jpg

Quick update....it has rained everyday that I could have worked on this since then.....so I am still waiting to get back outside to work some more.  I will keep everyone posted.

Thanks for that link tpahornet.  Storm does some really nice work and is not worried about showing the mistakes. Good site.

Machine, what can I say. Doing great, can't wait until it gets going again.

Thats awesome can't wait to see it finished !!!

Thanks for the link.  I have read Storm's stuff before.  I actually read this article before I started.  It made me think that even if I mess up, who cares...right.....you can learn either way.  This guy knows some stuff.  You should check out his other articles, too.  Interesting stuff. 

OK, I finally worked on this some more.  Frankly this project stinks.  My face is burnt, my hands are burnt and I have inhaled more smoke than  a chimney.  As you can see this container cracked.  Well it started that way and I am making it worse.  It was not a good piece of wood.  Oh, well, I will keep going. But here are my new pics.

bowl5wa4.jpg

bowl6xc2.jpg

:) Its looking great

Don't loose your enthusiasm. Remember that you are gainging experience and knowledge. Think what it would have felt like if you had to make this in a survival situation.

Now you know more than you did before starting this bowl.

Great work. I will be adding it as an article if you don`t mind?

Thanks Bravo.  I learned a long time ago you learn two ways in life.  By your mistakes and by others mistakes.  So I figured, I will learn by my mistakes and hopefully help others out too.

By they way....of course you can use it as an article. 

Looks great , i think it's great that you tried it at least, learning by mistakes is all a part of life great job and thanks for sharing!!

Well here is the end of my coal burning project and here is what I learned.  If there is a small crack it will only get bigger over time.  So this project didn't turn out like I had hoped.  It did hold water long enought to rock boil in it, but that was about it.  So I scrapped working on it further and it became fire wood.  :rofl:  This was a fun project, I wish it came out better and I could have shown this great container, but oh, well.  Maybe next time.  I did learn somethings and that is what counts. 

bowl8sx4.jpg

The crack was getting too big......

bowl9ns4.jpg

Did try a little rock boiling in it just for fun. 

bowl7nr5.jpg

i'd say that this turned out great for a first time.  :thumbup:

i read before (can't remember where) that if the burning process it too quick it will also cause the wood to crack.

Machine, I appreciate your efforts in demonstrating this project.  I for one would say you had a good measure of success and would like to see more when you get a chance.  What wood types are you using?

Hay Machine a great project. You came up with exactly the same results as i did when i made a coal burned bowl And i made the same mistakes as you.

It is important not to add too much heat, only to use good quality well seasoned wood and not to rush. I did mine like you down the grain but i have seen others do it through the grain, this is supposed to make the pot more durable and waterproof but i dont really know. I will try making one through the grain one day and see how i get on.

I found using a piece of tube saved me from a lot of smoke and burns.

Machine, I appreciate your efforts in demonstrating this project.  I for one would say you had a good measure of success and would like to see more when you get a chance.  What wood types are you using?

Sorry...I used basswood.  It cracks easy. 

Machine, thank you SO much for showing us the whole process!  It's fascinating and I'd love to try it too.  My neighbors are really getting concerned because I'm out in my backyard doing all kinds of weird things these days...

They will get used to it.....although.....I have had people stop there cars and try to see......I guess it is funny to see some guy holding up a smoking wooden bowl blowing on it? 

Maybe they thought you were smoking a really big peace pipe!  8|  :woot:  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

And my neighbors should be glad I've found something quieter to do than play my electric guitar... :hugegrin:

Okay, another continuation of a really old thread, but this time it's Machine's fault.

We tried a little more coal burning this week.

This was the start:

coalburnspoonbefore1.JPG

... then there was A LOT of whittling to get the spoon to shape  :hugegrin:

...dum de dum de dum... :eyebrow:

...once I got home I sanded it down and oiled it.  Hence--the finished product!

coalburnspoon.JPG

...yeah, so it's not entirely a coal burning project, but it was my first attempt at actually making something other than just burning holes in stuff.  :)