WildSurvive Forum

Anybody carry one of those road crew safety vests in their kits? Good for making your self visible when you need to (survival or hunting season, or car stuck on the side of a busy road), but packs up small and weighs next to nothing. Some designs are pretty bright with reflexite stripes and contrasting colors. Jim

It would be great in a childs pack.  They have to make them in different sizes.  Hello ... research department?

I bought stuff from this company when I still worked in the lab.  Good quality, not inexpensive.

http://www.labsafety.com/search/reflective+vests

I'd buy the smallest adult vest if they don't have children's, and put a dart in the side to keep them on the child.  Then as the child grows, you will extend the life of your vest.  You could even sew an adult vest out of whatever material you want, or even a survival vest, and remove the reflective part from the original and construct a new adult vest.  If I'm not mistaken, they have the reflective tape too.

I still have my safety vest from when I worked at the airport loading and unloading planes. They do come in handy.  :yes:

I wore one on the rare occasion that I was out on the road for a sewer job.  We never used to wear 'em until OSHA caught the water department without 'em....grin.  Tess and I have orange vesty things in our survival kits, but I never thought about putting some reflective tape on them.  Good idea, aligator!

Guest blacksmith

They sale good reflective tape for immersion suit we have three suits that we have to keep up

Immersion suit keep you alive for seven hours in these waters and if you do not have the suit you get no time

but the tape good tape

Good to see you posting, Blacksmith and welcome to the forum... If I remember correctly, you're on a boat in Alaska, right? It would be great to hear some of the preparations one would make for "worst case scenarios" on a boat... which would fall into this section of the forum... BOAT, CANOES, KAYAKS, etc... that is located in OUTDOOR SURVIVAL TOPICS under VEHICULAR SURVIVAL AND ALTERNATIVE TRANSPORTATION.

Rick

Ps... I have a long reflective strap made from 2 of those safety vests. I can wrap it around my self or just about anything... I can even carry wood with it!

Here is a site with some good products... http://www.reflexsafety.com/

I carry an orange hi vis vest in my back at all times that has 2" retroflective tape.

Many people wear yellow hi vis vests in the uk, from cyclists to bikers and many people running and taking part in other sports in public places.

I have told Holly to get her self a hi vis thermal waterproof jacket to keep in her car as part of her bug out bag

I've had a few pairs of jogging/sweatsuit pants that had a reflective stripe up the side, and those are really nice because not only is it reflective, but when you move, there's a LOT of movement to it, so drivers/hunters don't think it's just a sign of some type.

I have told Holly to get her self a hi vis thermal waterproof jacket to keep in her car as part of her bug out bag

Uhhh...yes...I'll do that when I get my inner tubes...:whistle: 

You'll have to remind me while I'm out shopping, Adi.  You know how distracted I get. :hugegrin: 

You can make your own bands Holly. All you need is a bike innertube and cut it up into the size bands you want.

And have you gotten your poncho yet?

Ummmm...no....I haven't gotten my rain poncho yet either.  I'M SUCH A SLACKER!  :blush:

Okay, I'll put these on my "To Do List"

1)  Buy inner tubes

2)  Buy hi vis waterproof coat for bug out bag

3)  Buy emergency rain poncho for daypack

Am I forgetting anything? :unsure: 

Holly you will give ADI and my self grey hair yet :woot:

I will send you a couple of ponchoes.

Have you gotten a hat yet?

Yes, I have a wonderful waterproof hat and I just bought a wool cap at the Army/Navy Surplus store.  I love that store!  I saw some really cute BDU shorts...

Well I am glad you got yourself a good wool watchcap. You could buy yourself some BDU pants. Next time there get yourself a couple P-38s. They come in handy.

Guest blacksmith

Good to see you posting, Blacksmith and welcome to the forum... If I remember correctly, you're on a boat in Alaska, right? It would be great to hear some of the preparations one would make for "worst case scenarios" on a boat... which would fall into this section of the forum... BOAT, CANOES, KAYAKS, etc... that is located in OUTDOOR SURVIVAL TOPICS under VEHICULAR SURVIVAL AND ALTERNATIVE TRANSPORTATION.

Rick

Ps... I have a long reflective strap made from 2 of those safety vests. I can wrap it around my self or just about anything... I can even carry wood with it!

Here is a site with some good products... http://www.reflexsafety.com/

I did not see this I would love to help by doing this let me think on it