WildSurvive Forum
antagonizer

Cheap camp stove tutorial.

There was a survival story post by MrCoffee that got me thinking. It was about a guy that spent the night with his wood burning cook stove, after he broke his leg.  I followed the link in his article, and had  a look at the stove in question. Now, I think it's great, and if you have $25US to spend on one, all the better, however for me, I don't have two nickels to rub together, most of the time, so I designed one, based on it, out of household items.  Really, all you need is a large tin, and a knife.  If you can't get one of the larger tins, then you can fake it by splicing two smaller tins together, much like the way kids jam straws together to make them longer.  I made a cooking video, after I finished this one, but wanted to incorporate the 2 can idea into it, so it isn't quite ready yet.

Now, I really wanted to be fair to the guy that created this, so I completely altered the design, and offered it COMPLETELY FREE for information purposes.  Feel free to copy it, trade it, distribute it, but maybe throw me some credit, and maybe a linky to the guy who sells them for $25, out of sheer courtesy.

Anyway, here it is. The tin can cookstove;

Here's the original post by MrCoffee;

http://www.wildsurvive.com/outdoor-camping-forum/index.php?topic=2666.msg115623#msg115623

And here's the advertisement for the cook stove;

http://www.trailstove.com/

EXCELLENT. Need anything else be said except, "bring on the chow."  :clap: :clap: :clap:

Guest given to the sea...

~ Great video Ant. :clap: :cheers: Now THAT's what I call survival... taking an ordinary object that would normally be tossed, and showing folks how to use it in an extraordinary way.

That's what it's all about, in my opinion, taking stock of what's around you, and getting creative. :thumbup:

Nicely done Antagonizer. :thumbup:

Another idea to use instead of a pen would be a piece of old telescoping radio antenna then you can attach a piece of fish aquarium air tubing to it and use them together to stoke your fire. And when your done you can put it back in your kit.

Nicely done Antagonizer. :thumbup:

Another idea to use instead of a pen would be a piece of old telescoping radio antenna then you can attach a piece of fish aquarium air tubing to it and use them together to stoke your fire. And when your done you can put it back in your kit.

Definitely a better idea. I was using something that I figured people would have on hand, but an antenna is right up there.  Save me burning off my facial hair.

Maybe not as easy to come up with in survival situation but a six inch or even an eight inch chimney pipe section would be even better.

I love the tuorial, great job! I read about a couple that used a Maxwell House Coffee can and a roll of toilet paper to make a car heater in winter when they broke down, I will try and find the article. But that is why I keep an empty coffee can in my truck. (Not like I dont have a bunch of those to spare!) I am going to try and build one of your stoves from a 5lb and a 1lb can. :)

Great Job!

The 5 lb coffee cans are what we use to use to heat our ice huts with. You put a roll of toilet paper in it along with a bottle of alcohol and lite it keeps you warm for quite awhile.

I will have to take a pic of the antenna idea. It works quite well.

Guest blacksmith

Have you seen the wood gas stoves they look grate I do not have the site

Very cool Ant. Thanks for sharing.

Will this stovew help to save on wood since it will lessen the oxygen to the fire?

Guest given to the sea...

NIce. But what can you do about the sharp edges?

~ you do what kids used to do years ago, Survivordan...    :arigato:

you be very, very careful.  :thumbsup: 

It's a lost art.  :smoke:

An ancient lesson learned only from painful injuries that kids today are not allowed to experience.  :P :rofl:

Very Cool.  If you can, would you mind doing a quick video of it working?  I would like to  see it in action. 

Machine, I think he should melt some chocolate and let us dip bananas and strawberries in it..you know, eat our fruit and be healthy while enjoying the great outdoors...

I was wondering how it worked. I guess you just get a fire going and poke sticks in the top to keep it going. I guess it puts out a lot of radiant heat. Im going to try one made out of stove chimney pipe as soon as Im able.

The video of it in action is on the way Machine.  I actually recorded it being used without a pot or pan, utilizing just the 'lid' as a cooking surfact to make some flatbread.  I'm a bit behind because I wanted to show an add on where I splice two smaller cans together since, in survival, you often don't have larger ones.

MrCoffee, I'm a user of the TP stove as well.  They burn forever which is great. The big thing is that this is a fuel-less stove, meaning you burn what you find. Sticks, twigs, etc.  

I actually tried to think of the most basic scenario;  

You're hiking along, a short distance, maybe 4-5 miles, and something happens, (enter speculation here). Now, many Provincial parks up here have camp sites along the trails, so you waddle, hobble, crawl etc. into one of these sites. After the obligatory issues about shelter and such, you realize that you haven't really eaten yet.At this point, you realize the rangers come by every few days to see if campers have been a bit messy.  Lucky for you, the previous residents, (like many often do) thought that they could burn all their garbage, even the tin cans.  You fish them out of the fire pit, and go to work.  Since it was a short hike, you didn't bring much food, and you're worried you could be there a few days.  If you're like me, there's always a leftover bit of flour, or sugar in my pack, or if you're real creative and educated, you get busy in the tall grass scouting some of the edible wild grass seeds. If you're lucky, there's a few juniper berries around, maybe some trail mix in your bag, or even a few dandelions. Maybe even some choke cherries, or any of the many other berries that don't taste particularly good, but are edible.  You grab a flat rock, and a round river stone and start grinding it into a paste, then work it by hand into a patty.  After lighting your kindling under the stove, you add some larger material to the inside, adjusting the vent hole in the front.  then you place the lid on top and lay the patty of mish mash ingredients on top.  After about 5 minutes or so, the fire starts getting low, so you add some more material through the vent hole, then pulling a pen out of your pack, you strip it down, and use it add oxygenate to the fire.  Another 5 minutes later, and your food is done. You eat some right away, and store the rest in your pack.  It's going to be a long couple of days, but at least you have food. Next, you realize that the night is getting a bit chilly, so you whip out your trusty tin cup, (mine is copper) and fill it with pine needles.  Again you stoke up the stove, fill your cup with water and boil the hell out of it untill your needles are steeped, or the microbes are all dead. Which ever comes first.  

Either way, You may have to tough it out for the next few days, but at least you have some of the comforts that, as we all know, are important for moral.  This is just one scenerio. I'm sure there are 100+ more interesting ones, but I just figured it's good to add one more skill to your repitoire.

Guest blacksmith

yes that is a good one this one is the one I like because the wood last longer and no smoke