WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Adi

You prepare for a disaster

I have recently been asked a barrage of questions about emergency preparedness by a colleague in work, this has been going on for sometime and it transpires he is trying to put an emergency plan into place but does not know how to go about it so was tasking me. He finely asked me for help the other day and I said yes ok let me think about it for a couple of days and I will see I come up with.

Whilst at home I was thinking about his situation and the realisation that I did not know much about him or his family hit me. I started to put a list of questions together to determine what his needs were but as the list got longer and longer I started regretting saying I would help as it was becoming a very large job.

Then I had a thought. No, this is not how I teach survival by doing everything for the client, I get them to do it so they get first hand experience and they learn from the experience. I would do the same for him, let him do the work so he learns what the risks are and the appropriate response would be. I feel this process is very important for the planning process too.

This has got me thinking and I thought we could do this on the forum. I will ask the questions to get you to think about preparing for disaster and the type of things you need to prepare for.

Its up to you if you want to take part, it would be cool if some of you posted your response on line but if you just want to follow the program and not post that’s fine.

This will go on for a period of time; I will post questions up in red.

Adi, sounds good. :thumbup:

That is the type of contest being run at the moment. Urban disaster.

Guest blacksmith

will you do any on remote living disaster for those of us living in the bush

Of first of all we need to look at the threats that may affect us.

They maybe short lived, short term or long term and they will have different initial response.

The sort of thing we need to consider are we likely to be effected by natural disasters such as tornados, hurricanes, floods, snow, freezing rain, land slides, wind storms, heat waves, freezing weather, famine, wild fires, endemics or pandemics. Then there is man made disasters such as chemical spills, industrial fires, industrial explosions, terrorism, civil war, war, economical collapse, riots, strikes, nuclear/chemical leaks or nuclear explosions.

Your response might be to stay indoors until told safe to leave by the arthritis, to stay put in your home for the duration of the incident or to bug out.

The first question is to research the main threats to your daily life, list them in order of likely risk, meaning the top of your list is the most likely to effect you, and highlight what your preferred response would be.

It might go something like this

Chemical spill on highway next to your house, stay indoors till told other wise

Tornados seek shelter and stay indoors till threat has passed.

Flooding, if shallow flooding, stay put and survive on your stockpiled supplies. Severe flooding, bug out.

Industrial chemical leak, temporarily bug out to safe area until safe to return.

Every one should more or less come up with the same sort of list, (obviously your regions might not get earthquakes but do get hurricanes, I don’t expect you to put earthquakes down.) the only difference is the order in which the list comes as likelihood of happening.

Adi, sounds good. :thumbup:

That is the type of contest being run at the moment. Urban disaster.

This is more of a way for people to take responsibility of there own planning.

will you do any on remote living disaster for those of us living in the bush

Yeap the plan takes into account the risks that may effect your daily life, you probably dont have a chemical plant waiting to blow up next to your home but you might have wild fires sweep through your area or even live on a volcano that decides to spit back into life

Guest blacksmith

volcano maybe wild fire I will be one of the people fighting that title wave now that we get the warnings all the time for those this sounds fun   

Power outage - I keep plenty of candles, oil lamps, charcoal, firewood, prescription meds, food, and water to last us for a few weeks.

Tornado - We have a basement but my grandmother can't navigate the stairs, so we'll go into the bathroom and hide out there with pillows and blankets.  If the damage is severe, we may have to camp out in the house or even in the yard in a tent. 

Nuclear disaster - We live right between two nuclear stations.  McGuire is 17 miles away and Catawba is 32 miles away.  I won't need candles or oil lamps because I'll be glowing in the dark. :hugegrin:  However, if we have some warning, we would try to get as far away from here as possible, which means having a large supply of food, water, shelter, firewood, clothing, supplies, and several full gas cans in the back of the truck.  We may not be able to ever go back home...:nono:  So, we would take cash and all birth certificates, gold, photo CDs (I can't leave those!!!), and passports with us.

Epidemic diseases - Stay home!!!  I need to collect enough supplies to last for 3 months until all "waves" of the disease passes through the area. 

Terrorist Attack - Charlotte is the home of Bank of America, one of the largest financial institutions in the world.  Charlotte has been listed by the FBI as one of the top targets for terrorist attacks. :scared:  I think we would stay home, unless it's a nuclear threat. 

The most important thing is to have a "plan" worked out with the family.  Everyone should sit around the kitchen table and discuss all the possible scenarios that could come up and plan what each family member should do in order to "meet up" or how to get in touch with each other in the event of being separated.

Also have some type of radio on hand.  It is imperative that you have access to the news in order to know what is happening.  I highly recommend those windup flashlights with the radios.  You can get them at Wal-Mart for about $19.00.  You don't even need batteries with those.  I love mine and it works great.

Very good Holly but you are jumping a head of your self. I am sure there are more than 5 threats to you and your family in daily life, now go out and find those threats, do some research.

How close is the nearest gas station and how far does its blast radius project? Are there any industrial units near you? what do the do in these units and could it be a threat to you? Do you have a flightpath, or military flight pass over you, is the flightpath part of the approach to an airfield, do they fly sensitive loads from that airfield? Is your property or neighbourhood built on an old watercourse, would it likely to flood in the very worst weather conditions?

Do you stay or do you go, if you go is it short term, long term, are you just going to a family member up the road, getting out of the city/area or getting out of the whole state/county.

This is the sort of detail i am looking for because its this information that shapes your plans for when good times go bad. At this time we are not concerned with what we are actually need and where we are going we are gust building a list of the threats and the primary response of stay or go and how far we go.

Tornadoes are the main hazard around here this time of year. We have a full basement and I have a heavy work bench we plan to get under but luck comes into play if the twister sits right on your house. The south west part of your basement works the best they think. A family near here huddled in the south west part of their basement and survived even though the house was totally destroyed and after it was over they were looking up at the sky. The only injury was a brick landing on the boy. If they had been anywhere else there is no way they would have survived.

There was a small creek >dry most of the time just east of their house. When they say lay down in these places if you would have laid there you wouldnt have survived. So luck sometimes plays a part.

An under ground bunker is the best. The old cave cellers worked great years ago.

Guest given to the sea...

~ We live in close proximity to Fort Benning Ga, what kinds of things should I be concerned about living near a large infantry base?  :unsure:

~ We live in close proximity to Fort Benning Ga, what kinds of things should I be concerned about living near a large infantry base?  :unsure:

Rape.

1-Scool Shooting/bomb threat/ect-  1/2 of my life is spent at school, the only thing I can do for this is watch for signs of possible problems, try to "Be Grey" and just be ready to follow instructions. 

2-Pipeling explosion-  I live 15 feet from a large underground pipeline.  If somthing goes wrong with that its time to grab my gear quickly and bug out. 

3-Escaped crazy person- I live 1/2 a mile from a luney ben (Well not really, its more of a rehibilitation place, but there are still some very crazy people there that could be a threat.  Soluntion for that would be to stay indoors and phone police.

4-Tornado-  Take survival kit and other needed things to the basement.

5-Flood-  Stay indoors and upstairs. 

6-Food shortages-  Take wild game, there is a HUGE patch of gooseberrys half a mile from me for food also.  Keep the garden going for food.

7-Nuclear bombs-  Try to properly secure a room in the house and keep a large food stock.

8-Eruption of the Yellowstone SUper Volcanoe-  Move east.

Is this how I'm supposed to do this Adi?

earthquake, and volcano, I live near about 3 of them. stay in.  buy a mask

for a earthquake I know this sounds weird but I would hide in my bathtub, with my BOB.

I actually did survive MT. ST Helens.we didn't get much ash were I live through.

I do live in the same state as fort lewis.

I do live close to Boeing !!!

Kim,

Anyone of those volcanos can spell disaster for you. Might want to think of a evac plan. and take your BOB and go.

Ft Lewis, Might think about what a military base has on it if you are close to it. Boeing might think what chemicals they have at there facility or gases for welding.

This is why Adi is doing this, to make people think for themselves and use that big muscle in their head. wacky078.gif

And it is a way to get feed back on things and see what others would do about things.

Well, after Adi called me and verbally spanked my butt over the phone, I had to go back and do more research on possible hazards near my house.  That sneaky Brit googled my area and found a few hazards that I was totally oblivious to. :P

Actually, I live in a relatively safe area.  I'm not under the flight paths of the airlines, I have no large factories or chemical plants near me, and there are streams and creeks all around my neighborhood which cuts down on the threat of wildfires.

However, just up the street from me is an overpass for I-485, less than 2 miles from my house.  There is no exit ramp, but I do cross over the highway on a small bridge every time I go to the grocery store.  And there is a gas station right there too. 

The highway could be a major problem if a tanker carrying hazardous waste overturned.  I may have to evacuate in a hurry.

If the gas station caught on fire, I would need to evacuate in the event of a major fire.

(Thanks for looking after me, Adi! :kiss:)

Possible disasters or threats to our family here

(1) Nuclear Power Plant Meltdown or Malfunction. - Will have to evacuate the area at least until the threat is assessed.

(2) Chemical Spill on one of the local highways; 27, 24, 41, 58, and 75 all of which run through the town here. - Options vary depending on the type and location of the spill, if we are down at the time, but I keep contingency bags with some tools, food, water, and extra clothing in the truck when we are out, will have to play the rest by ear.

(3) Terrorist Attack on one or all of three nuclear power plants in the area. - The type, and speed of the response to this will depend on which power plant, and the extent of the damage as we are only close to the outer ring of the ten mile radius of one of them.

(4) Terrorist Attack On or Failure Of The P.C.C. (power control center) of the T.V.A. (Tennessee Valley Authority) here where they control the flow of water through all of their hydro-electric dams on the Tennessee River, and where they rout all of the power generated by the hydro, fossil, and nuclear power plants in the area. – Response to this will be dependant on several factors as it could result in loss of power and thereby also loss of local water supply, and very much limit access to foods and fuel.

(5) Chemical Contamination of the local water supply. – I have been looking at “whole house” water filtration systems and have now bought a faucet filtration systems but am still studying this area of interest.

(6) Tornado. – I have been studying building a small shelter dug into the side of a ridge in my back yard, but as tornados seldom set down here that has been a low priority.

(7) Viral Epidemic. – such as other ones going on in other places around the world at the moment. http://www.google.com/search?q=viral+epidemic&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7ADBS

Response to these would depend on what was affected and how.

(8) Forest Fire. – We had one up the road last year that burned a few hundred acres but had no effect on us here however it could be different next time around.

These are the ones I can think of off-hand. In looking at this and making an honest assessment I can see where I am only prepared for some things but not others. We have quite a bit of food stored; we have canned goods, dry goods, and some cases of MRE entrees. Also I plan on canning some foods this fall. We have tools, and heat sources that do not require electricity. We have arms and ammo for hunting and self defense. Lol, I have enough knives and cutting tools to last quite a while. We have some first aide supplies put back. I keep some supplies in the truck at all times and some more ready to throw in the truck on a moments notice. However it is painfully obvious that our stored water supply is woefully inadequate for any long term situation. It is also painfully clear that I need to create a safe place on my land but away from our house to store fuel in quantity. I need to design and build an enclosure where I can safely store some drums of fuel. I need to learn more about long term storage of water and fuel. I have to get ready for work, I'll give it some more thought while I am there.

Adi, if I may?

The idea of terrorism is as expanse as is the normal things around us that can go bad.  If someone lists terrorism, what type is being referred to?  Bombings, web terror, financial, a local nut case?  Please, can folks elaborate on the types of problems?

What type of chemical plants, etc.  I would like to see more individualized specifics if possible.

Thanks.

Good point Lost there was a religious group in the US i think it was the Oranges that the leadership went to prison for poisoning an entire towns water.

When i was asking about terrorism i was not actually asking what sort of terrorism but the different targets for terrorists in your area. From my point of view if you can identify the targets you can then do a risk assessment and determine what sort of attacks will be deployed, whether conventional, chemical or dirty bomb and you can also get some idea of delivery systems.

I am sorry i should have made his a little clearer

Ok the next thing I want you to think about is “how to bug out back to home” there are occasions when staying home is the best course of action in an emergency but we have lives that take us away from home. I want you to think of all the places you go to and how you would get home, I.e. Work, shops, school and relatives. You need to do this for yourself and the rest of your family members. Don’t forget the kids, are you going to make your way to school or are they going to meet you at a predetermined location.

You need to think about the rout, you want to avoid ruff parts of town, industrial areas and possibly the banking areas. You need to think of the small incidence to complete collapse of the infrastructure, such as a train crash, large fire, riots, terrorist action too a big earthquake shutting down an entire city.

I suggest you do this in word on your pc and keep a copy as part of your emergency planning, as we complete each section of the program we will be adding to our personal emergency plans. You may also wish to get the rest of the family involved in the planning too.

The necromancer at work again.  ;) resurrecting long lost topics.

Nice job ofg. Not all of us have time to peruse through years of topics.

Now I gotta put together my list and partake in the festivities.  :thumbup: