WildSurvive Forum

I have been wondering, should I get a pellet gun for my survival kit/outdoor kit/hunting/recreation?  I can't get a .22 but would a pelet gun be good enough to take a rabbit or other small game animal?  I think I will eventually get one just for target shooting atleast, but would this be a good addition to a kit?  You can carry A LOT of pellets without too much weight.

The new pellet guns on the market have plenty of power to take rabbits and squirrels (sorry Dave). There is quite a price range on them. Ive got a pump up single shot that will kill a squirrel with four pumps (I found out the hard way when I shot one on the bird feeder and he fell over dead)  :'(

The current issue of Backwoodsman magazine has a article on air guns for survival.

And they work good for small game. Rabitts and squirrels ( I mean moose  :whistle: )

I agree, BB and Pellet (rifles) are great for stealthy suvival situations or if you just plain can't have a powdered weapon.  I wouldn't go with a pistol because the power and accuracy aren't as easily achieved.

I've taken plenty of squirrel, rabbits and even pidgeons with my pump up bb gun.  you can even stick a strike anywhere wooden match down the barrel of the pellet gun (making sure there is no ammo in the chamber) then fire the match using 1 pump at a rock or piece of concrete and light the match.  I don't know what good that would do in a survival situation unless you had to light a fire 10ft away.  And it's real hard to do.

The pump style pistols aren't bad actually.  Stay away from any of the co2 guns.  They only give you mediocre power with a limited supply. :nono:

I think they work great i've been haveing a daisy multi pump pellet/ bb rifle since my 14th birthday and it still works great it's rated at 800 feet per second on 10 pumps wich is plenty to kill small game, i put a scope on it several years ago , the one's for pellet guns are cheap and work great. Benjamin makes a 22 caliber pellet rifle that comes with a scope and it has almost the same velocity as a 22 rifle but just not the range .

Im not a fan of the BB and pellet guns because the rifling can be damaged from the BBs. Maybe the new ones are made better but I ruined one as a kid shooting too many BBs in it. I lost accuracy with the pellets.

I have a cheap scope on my pellet rifle. They come with a grooved receiver for a scope. It is very accurate.

Pellet Gun

Pellet Gun 2

I am thinking one like this.

It was one like the first one you have here that I put over a hundred rabbits, several squirrels, a few quail, and a few ducks on our table with as a kid in Tampa, I prefer the ones with the long pump handles but if I remember right they are only acurate and deadly enough up to about fifteen meters....., great for urban and even suburban small game hunting, and they are quiet enough you may get a second shot, but try to make that first one count.

As Swede says BB's aren't so great, they aren't accurate at all and they ruin the accuracy of the rifle, use good quality pellets if at all possible,

might i suggest a Co2 pistol type?

a rifle is a little big to take for a survival situtation that might never happen. but also it's a little suspicious if a fish and game officer sees you going hiking with a rifle

i also find Co2 to be funner sense you don't have to pump it... also if you need to kill game with it. it's alot faster to take a second shot if you mis then have to pump it 10 times.

One thing to keep in mind.  I am not sure about where you live, but you may want to check out laws even with pellet guns.  Some places are pretty strict about them. 

might i suggest a Co2 pistol type?

a rifle is a little big to take for a survival situtation that might never happen. but also it's a little suspicious if a fish and game officer sees you going hiking with a rifle

i also find Co2 to be funner sense you don't have to pump it... also if you need to kill game with it. it's alot faster to take a second shot if you mis then have to pump it 10 times.

I agree the co2 guns are way more fun but in a survival situation when you run out of co2 the gun is useless .

Well, in New South Wales, and I think all of Australia you have to have a permit for them it may be that way in some places here but not where I live either.

Pellet Gun

Pellet Gun 2

I am thinking one like this.

I've got an older version of the Crossman Pumpmaster (pellet gun 2), and I like it.  It still isn't nearly as good as the same model when they made them back when I was your age.  The REALLY old ones had good metal sights (unlike the cheapy plastic ones they have now) and were a better-made product.  If I had the money I'd rather have one of the good Beeman or Benjamin rifle, but on my budget it ain't happening.

I was looking at some pellet guns for dear or ? and this is what I found

http://www.airgunsbbguns.com/Career_Dragon_Slayer_Air_Rifle_50_cal_p/shin-sung-career-dragon-50.htm

this the one I am thinking of at 1250 fps in 22 cal

http://www.airforceairguns.com/condor.html

That one is really sweet, but jeeeez the hand pump to refill it with is $200.00, making the total over eight hundred, I'd have to see one that's been used a while and still going before I could put that into an air rifle.

You can have a pellet gun in Iowa, no laws against them. I hate CO2 personally. I think I am going to try to get oen like the first one.

well i don't think anystate has a law that says you can't have one but there is a law for if you carring it around your neighborhood. or just carring it in city limits. especily if people see you...most bb and pellet guns don't have the orange tip. and that may leed people to belive that it's real... thats why i suggested a pistol. it's lighter, and you can conceal it.

i know me and my friends can get a big ticket if we get the cops called on us for playing airsoft in a wash and our guns are clear with orange tips.

i know, the cops saw us one day and stoped and said "your still in city limits and if someone in these houses saw you they can realy push us to give you a ticket." but we still go down there anyways. LOL there are tons of hiding spots we made so as long as they don't see me i don't exsist. I'll just hide in a hole and cover it with bushes. LOL

my friend has that one... i've been shot in the back with a bb out of that.... only 600 fps 300 more than a airsoft gun but that shoots plastic bbs

good thing i had my hoodie on when i got shot with that.