WildSurvive Forum

makes a perfect sm game pistol for survival and with the shoulder stock you get better aim. all you have to do is add a scope to it and it would be quite the rifle.

Guest blacksmith

I have had one for more then 15 years and have taken more small game with it then I can think of but I want to get something a bit bigger

Would that first pellet gun be powerful enough to go through for a heart shot?  Or where would you have to shoot lets say a rabbit at?

the crosman?

600 fps would kill small game especily if you use pointed pellets. thats at close range.

The Crossman rifle I had was a really well made rifle, and it always kept its accuracy. One thing to remember is always keep your seals well oiled according to manufacturer specs, or you will loose power over time.

If you want something that will take small game, is inexpensive, fun to shoot and doesn't fall under most firearm laws, try one of the high performance slingshots like the Wrist-Rocket. I took a lot of gohers, (Richardson Ground Squirrels) with mine. Plus the ammunition is free, a smooth rock works well if you don't want to buy the special marbles.

They are also great for teaching hunting fundementals of stealth and stalking as you need to be pretty close, within 30 yards, but you won't have the cops bother you about carrying a firearm within city limits.

Probably the best selling point is you can buy a good one for around $10 USD. :greed:

I still rifle hunt, and bowhunt, but for survival, a weapon that doesn't require much upkeep, you can just pick the ammunition off the ground, and doesn't weigh much, a good slingshot is hard to beat :thumbup:

When we used to make them with a forked stick and strips from an inner tube we got pretty good with them. It gets to be a habit when you find some gravel  to look for the perfect stones.

I made a few inner tube sling shots myself. Had a few bruised knuckles while learning how strong my forked branch was during stress tests too! :P

Actually for reall survivor stuff, you can always make a slingshot as was used in ancient times, (yes like was used by David in the story about Goliath). You can make one of those with some paracord and a piece of strong canvas or leather. They can throw a stone about the size of a golf ball at a high speed for a long way.

The Greeks, Egyptians, Carthagenians even Alexander the Great's armys had corps of slingers as well as archers. Slingers were part of armies well into the middle ages, so this is not a new idea. Slings are a lot easier to make than bows or spears, You don't need the skills to knap arrowheads or how to bind fletching to an arrows. Simple, deadly.

Those slings aren't as accurate as modern ones using surgical tubing, but you don't need to buy ammunition, the building materials are cheap, and they weigh nothing. Plus, in a survival situation you can make one out of your shoe laces  and a piece torn from your shirt, and voila! Both an offensive and defensive weapon!

Put a rabbit in the pot, or scare off a wolf. Takes a little work to learn how to be accurate, but it could pay off. :cool:

I own a RWS Germen pellet rifle model 48 it shoots a 177. pellet over 1000 fps you just cock it and shoot it is very accurate and yes it will easily take rabbit, squirrel, grouse etc out to about 75 yds If I were to purchase one now (bought mine about 10 yrs ago) I would opt for the .22 caliber while a bit slower it has lil more power its a very nicely made quality air rifle

A Friend of mine i work with just bought this over the weekend and we shot it some today, it had enough power to punch a hole through 3/16" aluminium plate at about 30 feet . I was impressed with it , 600 fps is pretty stout . It was dead on accurate out of the box .

http://www.crosman.com/airguns/pistols/1377C

I had one of those when I was a kid. They use to make it in 22 cal also. It was a good pistol. I enjoyed using it on things.

Guest smallgamehunter

I have never been fond of Co2 in the woods.  It always seemed like you got 5-6 good shots then the power petered out quick.  I'd like to get a pump pistol.

honestly the pellet gun is only a secondary to my blowgun so it dont really get used much

Guest blacksmith

A Friend of mine i work with just bought this over the weekend and we shot it some today, it had enough power to punch a hole through 3/16" aluminium plate at about 30 feet . I was impressed with it , 600 fps is pretty stout . It was dead on accurate out of the box .

http://www.crosman.com/airguns/pistols/1377C

I have had one for years and it works grate on all small game

Guest blacksmith

I have been looking at them and we are talking about getting one someday

Guest smallgamehunter

i rely more on my 8 years of trapping experience and my 14 years of bowhunting experience to provide food in a survival situation. my pellet gun is more of a detterent then a necessity