WildSurvive Forum
bestseller92

"The Alaska Experiment"

I caught my first episode of this tonight, and it's interesting.

They basically took a few groups (seems mostly groups of 2 or 3) city slickers and put them in the Alaska wilderness to survive the winter. They have to learn to hunt, fish, etc. (with the help of off camera experts, they take pains to point out). One group tonight took a squirrel and rabbit, then cut meat from a dead buffalo (I have no idea what killed the buff). Another gal went moose hunting, with no luck. It was also interesting to see some of these people try shooting for the first time. In my opinion, a .338 Winchester Magnum is NOT a beginner's gun, but I guess if you're in Alaska....

The show is on Discovery, airing at 9 central on Tuesday nights (right after "Deadliest Catch").

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/alaska/alaska-week.html

Well they have to inform the viewers. They got caught with the Bear Grylls thing. And also they couldn't take those people out there and let them be on their own. And the .338 winchester magnum is a good choice for there. Good long shots and knock down power.

Those people or only on their first of three months in the woods and they are already at each others throats.  On the first episode it took 1 group 2 days to go 3 miles to their cabin.  They kept walking in circles.   Out of the 4 groups, the man and his wife are stuck with a cancas tent to use for shelter.  With the woodstove it's probably warm enough for them but that canvas isn't going to stop any animals from getting in.  It's a great show.  Reminds me of Frontier House on PBS.

If you have high speed you can watch past episodes on Discovery.com.

The .338 Mag. is a wonderful choice for Alaska, I agree. But it's a LOUSY cartridge to learn how to shoot with, with its heavy recoil.

I've appreciated that they do show the "guides" a bit in the show.  In my opinion, the only way these shows are worthy anything (past hollow, entertainment value) is if they have some experts giving some instruction on air about how to survive.  Case in point, they had a guide showing the heavy-weight contractor fellow where to go take his sheep.  It would have been better if the guide had explained why they went to that kind of location, etc.

Welcome to the forums Cleric.  :thumbup:  If you need any help with picture posting or finding anything dont be shy in asking.

Many thanks Swede.  I'll be sure to ask.  Just posted a brief introduction (should have done that before).

I never cease to be amazed by stupidity.  "Grab the .22, shoot the Buffalo"  :scared:

Not stupidity Sk.  Ignorance.  Ignorance is not knowing something.  Stupidity is knowing something and doing it wrong despite this fact. :P

I never cease to be amazed by stupidity.  "Grab the .22, shoot the Buffalo"  :scared:

i've watched it since it started. love the show.

well to be fair none of them had knowledge of it because none of them have even fired a gun before that.

well you get a bunch of city slickers who never shot a gun before then there not going to know that.

i've watched it since it started. love the show.

well to be fair none of them had knowledge of it because none of them have even fired a gun before that.

well you get a bunch of city slickers who never shot a gun before then there not going to know that.

Very true, just kinda makes me shake my head.

Not stupidity Sk. Ignorance. Ignorance is not knowing something. Stupidity is knowing something and doing it wrong despite this fact. :P

Thanks for the clarification. 

Guest given to the sea...

~ Dave got me watching this show. It's awsome. I'm really getting into it. (S.K. I think that they are lucky that they missed the buffalo. I don't know what an angry buffalo would do, but I don't wanna find out.)  8|  :nono:

I Did watch Dances With Wolves.... I know that Buffalo can be dangerous.  scared011.gif

The little gal who caught all the salmon on her own was quite impressive also!  Not a bad spouse!

Kim - your avatar makes me laugh and creeps me out at the same time!

I got turned off watching the bickering and fighting in the cabin over where he puts his boots. Im aware how people get on each others nerves but I thought it was kinda soap opera like and unnecessary to film the entire rant. 

I know of 3 confirmed incidents where an adult moose was taken with a .22... I don''t know about buffalo..

The native Canadians and Inuit people have killed thousands of moose with a 22. by shooting them behind the ear. The reason for this is a moose is a very large animal and it is desirable to just knock the animal out so the throat (jugular) can be cut to bleed the animal out.

You can certainly kill moose and buffalo with a .22, but these people on this show must abide by all the Alaskan games laws (unlike if you were in a TRUE survival situation), so that option is out for them.

well it beats watching  Man vs Wild. At least they are in the real bush having to fend for themselves. And not staying at the Hilton.

Nice thing about the .22 is once it has gone into soft matter, it bounces around inside doing the job.   :bounce:

yea I didn't like the ranting about the boots.I understand cabin fever. but this show just needs to keep on track on how they are surviving out there. but I guess surviving each other is also something to do. moose0024.gif

Guest blacksmith

ware did they get the moose guide I can not believe they did not get a moose there are so many moose up there and it is one bull there I hope they make it not bad on the sheep hunt 

The Bush Pilot guide had him come and help guide them. If they had moved into the woods instead of down there they would have gotten a shot. 2 nice bulls. That one was a real steam shovel for sure. yeah he did good on that goat hunt for not wanting to do it. Not a bad goat. Now hopefully they will preserve it the correct way. The others didn't and she got sick from it.

And the guy with his daughters blew their hunt.