WildSurvive Forum

What are those things called, some sheaths and other leather things are held together by them?  Looks like little metal circles when they are put on.  I want to make some sheaths but my sewing isn't working, so I am looking for a stronger way, any suggestions?

Sure enough... rivets.  You can apply them with a press or hammer them with a die.  When I make sheaths, I stitch and, then, use rivets to reinforce the stress points (top of the opening, bottom of the sheath).  I suppose you could do an entire sheath with rivets and no stitching.  It would be quite the monster!

Here's Tandy's page of riveting materials for reference:

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/products.asp?DEPT=230&Page=1

There is an "Easy-to-do" kit there than has the hand die that I mentioned.  The rivet presses are quite a bit more expensive (last I saw was around $70).  So, starting with a little hand die like that would be great.

Some Michael's and some Walmart's carry them in their craft section.  There's a local leather craftsman that uses bronze rod and washers to do his own custom riveting.  I've been meaning to try it since his finished product is impeccable.

There's a local leather craftsman that uses bronze rod and washers to do his own custom riveting.

If you have some pictures of his work, I would love to see them.  Doing that by hand from rod and washers is a true art!  And, brass makes the best rivets.  Great patina!

Lowes carries a good selection of them in the fastener section.

If you have some pictures of his work, I would love to see them.  Doing that by hand from rod and washers is a true art!  And, brass makes the best rivets.  Great patina!

He promised to teach it to me in trade for some hair on hide that I've got, so I'm hoping to perfect for the next knife case I'm working on.

Bye the bye, welcome to the forumz Cleric. :wave:

Thanks for the welcome!

Leatherworking is a interest and hobby of mine that continues to grow.  So, whenever you get some examples of his or your work, I'll be waiting!  The other sheaths I have seen you do on here look very well done!

....so I'm hoping to perfect for the next knife case I'm working on.

BTW, Ant.... that Colab. knife has been sent to Blue for a handle... then its off to you for a new jacket!

Rick,

Those are fantastic!  Much less bulky than I imagined.  Certainly has a medieval (or something of that nature) feel to it. 

Rick,

Those are fantastic!  Much less bulky than I imagined.  Certainly has a medieval (or something of that nature) feel to it. 

Thanks, Cleric.... and a belated welcome to the forums!

A couple of those sheathes are made from 13oz leather!!!

I picked up some of those copper ones last time I was at tandy. Now I understand why you're so fond of them.  They look great on a finished case.  Do you use their special tool or finish them yourself? Just wondering if it was worth picking one up or not. Right now I just snip them with side cutters, then peen them with my hammer to flare the shaft.

I like the copper rivets on my double knife set because I can polish them and they look like gold. Real purty.

They used the rivets the have a hollow female part that squeezes together and doesnt have a washer. I think their called blind rivets.

I picked up some of those copper ones last time I was at tandy. Now I understand why you're so fond of them.  They look great on a finished case.  Do you use their special tool or finish them yourself? Just wondering if it was worth picking one up or not. Right now I just snip them with side cutters, then peen them with my hammer to flare the shaft.

That's all I do, too... I'm not fond of the tool Tandy supplies... I like the flare to be low profile like I suspect you do.

I like the copper rivets on my double knife set because I can polish them and they look like gold. Real purty.

They used the rivets the have a hollow female part that squeezes together and doesnt have a washer. I think their called blind rivets.

I totally have a barrage of inappropriate comments for this that I dare not type.... anyone want a PM?