WildSurvive Forum

The little tips at the top of the forum are interesting and, usually, pretty helpful.  However, one just came across which recommended packing a wet t-shirt and putting it on when you are exhausted.  I don't know if I'd endorse this method. 

First, it has a limited range of usefulness.  You would never want to use it in an environment that has a chance of getting cold (mountains, deserts at night, etc).  Two words: core temperature.

Second, packing a "wet" piece of anything is a challenge for your gear.  Wet cotton takes on a lot of weight.  It also needs to be sealed in some way so that it doesn't affect your other gear.  Both would be prohibitive to me putting it into my pack.

When I'm out-and-about staying dry is a high priority.  Any other thoughts on the subject?

The only place this method would come in handy would be in a high temperature area. A wet shirt could be placed in a zip lock bag but Im thinking how long would that last? There are alcohol prep pads or even handy wipes that would do the same thing for a quick cool down.

The wet t-shirt is mostly damp not soaked. And it does have its benifits in some areas. It will help bring down your core temp if you are hot and cool you off. It would be a good item for hot dry enviroments. The t-shirt will dry fast so there is not a big risk there.

you can always wet it latter if need be anyway.....

When I was stationed at Dam Neck years back the AC went out in the barraks....me and a couple other guys soaked extra sheets and put them in the freezer....when we went to bed we hung them off the top bunks and it kept the bottom ones nice and cool........

Cleric used the words "little tips" and "wet T-shirt"..... I couldn't read past that, sorry.

(I am totally useless today, with only inappropriate shallow comments to share.)

Indiana's usually pretty hot and sticky during the summertime.  I've typically got on a light colored loose button down shirt and jeans.  If I start getting too warm, easy enough to pour some water over the whole outfit.  This isn't necessarily hiking, more doing hard work of some type.

I can see a good case for this tactic in a really hot environment... just wanted to make sure that the limited application of it was not just in my own mind. 

Cleric used the words "little tips" and "wet T-shirt"..... I couldn't read past that, sorry.

I was waiting for the joke... but this was better than expected.  LOL

We do have a problem with taking things seriously around here dont we.  :hugegrin:

~ I've actually used this technique myself ... :whistle:

you really don't have to pack a wet T-shirt. You can just wear a dry one, and then, when you get really hot, it's way easier, (and entertaining for others who may want to help), to just wet it down while you have it on. cool14.gif

Then... you just take it off, and let it dry. No fuss, no mess. :hugegrin:

It does cool you off, on a hot Summer day. :thumbsup:

I'd never advocate packing it away wet though. It would mildew something awful!

And while you're at it, it also helps if you wet your hair too. That is equally cooling. I recommend bending at the waist to do this, though, because you don't want to get your shoes wet. It's really easy, you just bend over and let the water run through your long curly hair, then when you're done, you just toss it all back as you straighten back up. You'll be nice and cool for a while. Even when others are not.

~ I've actually used this technique myself ...  :whistle:

Wait a second. So are there pictures?  A slide show?  Maybe a java script image roll?  A flash movie?  Wait, not that kind of flash... Silly, Why would I be talking about macromedia flash....

you really don't have to pack a wet T-shirt. You can just wear a dry one, and then, when you get really hot, it's way easier, (and entertaining for others who may want to help), to just wet it down while you have it on.  cool14.gif

Then...  you just take it off, and let it dry. No fuss, no mess.  :hugegrin:

It does cool you off, on a hot Summer day.  :thumbsup:

And while you're at it, it also helps if you wet your hair too. That is equally cooling. I recommend bending at the waist to do this, though, because you don't want to get your shoes wet. It's really easy, you just bend over and let the water run through your long curly hair, then when you're done, you just toss it all back as you straighten back up. You'll be nice and cool for a while. Even when others are not.

now would you be bending over to do your hair before or after the removal of your shirt......Im a bit lost as to the concept can you provide pics or video?

S'okay guys...I can send y'all some pictures...grin.

I think Tess took some pictures the last time I did something like that...if yer sketchy on the technique....big grin.

you really don't have to pack a wet T-shirt. You can just wear a dry one, and then, when you get really hot, it's way easier, (and entertaining for others who may want to help), to just wet it down while you have it on.  cool14.gif

Then...  you just take it off, and let it dry. No fuss, no mess.  :hugegrin:

It does cool you off, on a hot Summer day.  :thumbsup:

My dear, Taken.... You have moved me deeply with this passage... That is all I will say... Thank you ever so much.

now would you be bending over to do your hair before or after the removal of your shirt......Im a bit lost as to the concept can you provide pics or video?

Yes, I believe an instructional video would be well worth the effort. If you need any help with the videography I am sure we can find some taker... I mean people that would be glad to help.

~ sorry I didn't explain myself Woods, you wet your hair before you wet the shirt. Once you do that, you procede to carefully wet the shirt... You want to leave everything that's wet alone for a while until you get good and cooled off, eventually, because it's just so darn hot, you're gonna start feeling hot AND steamy, and you'll be forced to take of the wet shirt. Unfortunately, once you take the wet shirt off, it just starts getting really hot all over again. :smoke:

That's the drawback of the technique... it feels really cool at first, but after a while, it just gets hotter and hotter. The only relief you have is to keep getting wet, over and over. :yes:

~ sorry I didn't explain myself Woods, you wet your hair before you wet the shirt. Once you do that, you procede to carefully wet the shirt...  You want to leave everything that's wet alone for a while until you get good and cooled off, eventually, because it's just so darn hot, you're gonna start feeling hot AND steamy, and you'll be forced to take of the wet shirt. Unfortunately, once you take the wet shirt off, it just starts getting really hot all over again.  :smoke:

That's the drawback of the technique...  it feels really cool at first, but after a while, it just gets hotter and hotter. The only relief you have is to keep getting wet, over and over.  :yes:

I still dont get it.......I need pics or video......maybe that will help

:rant: PICTURES!!!  :devil:

LOL

i live in southern utah and durning the summer we can get up to 120 degrees.... you DO NOT do any activitys at the peak of the heat. trust me no smart people go mountain biking/hiking in the middle of the summer in the middle of the day here.  but the most helpful at keeping you cool and from sweeting i use a wet cloth around my neck. (tested and works)

now show us the women. or this islame.gif

I for one, am apalled  at how the original topic got turn around into this sordid romp. Someone had better... Ah who am I trying to kid. Excuse me, I need to go take a cold shower. :naughty: