WildSurvive Forum

Hey Guys,

Thought I'd take a couple pics too prove that I AM actually working on stuff.... slow as it may seem there is progress in the Wildertools shop.... lol.

Rick

IMG_0011-1.jpg

IMG_0012-1.jpg

I've been messin' with new dying techniques.

IMG_0020.jpg

I'm now applying the same weatherproofing formula to my pouches as I do my sheathes.

IMG_0021.jpg

Bushknives and Strifes are in the works.

IMG_0022.jpg

I'm honing my forging skills! That means alot less grinding... but I'm sweatin' like Boss Hogg in a relay race.

IMG_0015.jpg

A few new pouch designs.

IMG_0018.jpg

Wow..., you actually are doing something besides getting on here and picking on poor ol' Swede. Lookin' good Rick, before long you'll be a big company hiring import labor :)

I was thinking about having my products made in China..... but with fuel prices, the airline tickets are to expensive. It just seems more sensible to stay home and make'em in my basement... ??? ...... besides my Mandrin is a little rusty. :P

~ What's a bushknife? (exactly)   :blushing:

What's a strife?  :blink:

What is that insignia thing on the blade (it looks different on each one) How do you put them there? Or do you?

Why is it better to forge than to grind?  :unsure:

How did you start doing this? Do you do it for a living? Or is it a hobby?  :unsure:

Do I ask a lot of questions? (nevermind, don't asnwer that one.)  :whistle:

I was thinking about having my products made in China..... but with fuel prices, the airline tickets are to expensive. It just seems more sensible to stay home and make'em in my basement... ??? ...... besides my Mandrin is a little rusty. :P

Good, the thought of some things still being made by "domestic"......, (does Canada actually even count as domestic) craftsmen is a good one.

It's a knife you take to your..., uhhmm :err: I mean THE Bush, duh

~ I thought it was a knife forged (or grinded?) for Democrats.

was that political?  :unsure:

Anyhow, all of my questions were legit. I really don't know. I hear all of these terms all over the forum. I was just asking. That's all.  sad042.gif

~ I thought it was a knife forged (or grinded?) for Democrats.

was that political?  :unsure:

Yes, it probably was, but Rick is a foriegner so it will just go over his head anyway.

Sorry, wasn't trying to demean your question I just couldn't resist that first one. Not sure googling will do a lot of good as they are names he came up with, and I was just picking on his bush fixation again..., I should probably stop that. If I understand him right, the Bush Knife is a simple yet very tough knife designed and made with all of the rough tasks of surviving in the bush in mind, digging, skinning, chopping, batoning, prising, gouging out punk, whatever..., a real work-horse of a kife, the strife is a combination striker and knife in one so as to serve more than one dedicated purpose. The rest of the answers are up to mice, and he will answer them when he notices there is activity on the thread I'm sure.

Hummm camo leather  :unsure: It actually looks like you know what your doing.  :scared:

Hummm camo leather  :unsure: It actually looks like you know what your doing.  :scared:

Fooled ya!

Funny you mention camoflage, Swede... When my wife asked me what I call that stain pattern I instinctively said "Leatherflage".

What's a strife?  :blink:

What is that insignia thing on the blade (it looks different on each one) How do you put them there? Or do you?

Why is it better to forge than to grind?  :unsure:

How did you start doing this? Do you do it for a living? Or is it a hobby?  :unsure:

Do I ask a lot of questions? (nevermind, don't asnwer that one.)  :whistle:

I knew you weren't being silly, Taken... I'm getting used to everybody's personalities around here and can read into the text.... except Swede... I'm really starting to think that he's actually a 12yr old girl... unless he was huffin' a gasoline/helium mix when I spoke to him over the phone the other night!

Mistwalker got it right on the Bushknife(knife made tough, for woods use) and the Strife(striker+knife=Strife).... they are simply names.

There is absolutely no advantage or difference in forging as opposed to grinding (refered to as "stock removal") It only comes into play if you are using a metal like damascus, where you actually see the layers of different alloys and you can "shape" them for visual effect. It is also handy when recycling metal into knives.... some use sources like truck axles, leafsprings and railroad spikes. Back in the day when makers smelted their own steel, forging was important because it refined the metal and got the "bubbles" out, so to speak. Nowadays, steel comes from mills in bar form and is high quality... anyone can purchase lengths of folded 1200+ layered steel and grind out a sword... but grinding is a skill that is difficult to master, too. Forging is just another way to manipulate steel. All knives are a product of their heat treat....

great steel + great grind/forge + poor heat treat = Beautiful knife that performs like crap.

average steel + poor grind + proper heat treat = Ugly knife that performs like a dream.

I now do this for a living... along with being a stay-at-home-dad.

The markings on the blade are two separate characters that represent both my name and my company's (I use a homemade stamp and hammer it in when the metal is hot) ...

Wildertools by Rick Marchand

wildertoolsrm.jpg

WildertoolsbyRickMarchandmakersmark.jpg

Very cool markings on your blades.  As children, we used to have a made up alphabet that was very similar.  Kept the parents out of the loop, kinda.

A completed Bushkit...

(Clockwise from top) Utilipouch, Firepouch, Neckpouch, Bushknife...

BushKit.jpg

What's in the Utilipouch?....

So far I'm thinking.... Wetstone, Bushblock sharpener, Sewing kit, jute, leather lace, tin of beeswax/linseed oil mix, char tin (loaded and ready to burn), 5hr tea candle.... the extra pocket can be for a small first aid kit.

Utilipouchinside.jpg

~ Thank you for answering those questions for me Mice.  :arigato:

I am in awe of people who make a living from their art. And this looks very much like an art...  (a gift even.)

Forger of Weapons... he is  (that's my Yoda impression.)  :P

What a cool way to spend your time.  :thumbup:

How did you get into doing this? Did someone in your family teach you? Or was it some ancient knowledge that just "surfaced" one day out of the blue?  It's really interesting how people gravitate towards their talent. We usually love doing what we're good at. I want to know what made you want to forge weapons? Did  you do it when you were little? What wakes up inside of you and says "Hey.... let's craft a blade!"  :unsure:

Just wondereing.

Oh, and do you like dragons?  Yes ____   NO _____

oh, and Swede is not a 12 year old girl ....  (I happen to know he's a twelve year old boy.... here's another one of his videos little known to others. 

What makes people want to save babies?  That video was rather humorous especially the panties on the head thing. Dumb kid he had em on backwards.    :nono:  How dumb is that? Jeeese

8| Oh man, that has to be one of the most annoying things I have heard in a while. Rick, that is a great looking kit. Keep the goodies coming.

Now, now, Taken..... :nop: .... I don't make weapons... I make tools :peace:

If they were chef's knives (which I also make) would you cal them weapons? Probably not. (BTW... I take no offence... just makin a point.  :kiss:) I guess they do look like throwing knives with that cordwrapped handle.... But I have a reason behind every aspect of my knives.... nothing is done because it "looks cool".

I make only 4 knives..... 3 are versions of my Bushknife in a small (9" O.A.), medium (11" O.A.), and large (16" O.A.). All were designed to be working tools and the large one even has a safety edge to avoid glancing blows where the blade gets deflected toward you. (I'll unvail that one Later). There is one more knife I'm working on right now called the Bushguppy that has a Nessmuk look to it, I suppose.

I guess I started off making "weapons".... lol. At the age of 10, I was already chewing up my mom's butter knives to make mini Rambo Knives and throwing knives... at 16, I made my first sword out of mild steel and still have it to this day. (Canoeguy's dad helped me put a handle on it.) Throwing stars, spikes and even a little armor plating were among the things I was making.

Leather is new for me... I've been messing with that for about 6yrs, now.

I had always modified or made my own camping gear... and now hope to outfit others with usefull stuff!

:cool: Rick

Ps.... I love Dragons and have a few tatoos of them.

At any rate Rick you got a talent coupled with drive to make a good quality product with an attention to detail. Like Ive said before something hand made by a craftsmen are one of a kind items and that makes them special. Good work.

~ Oh Puh-leeze...    :smoke:  Weapons / tools  What's the difference? A hammer is a tool, but I bet someone has been knocked upside the head by one a few times, and I ain't EVEN gonna mention the reputation of the Crowbar...   :whistle:

Anything can be a weapon, in a Vulcan pinch.

Ok, Rick... if it makes you happy, I'll call you the "Grinder of Tools" rather than the "Forger Of Weapons" whenever I do my Yoda impressions from now on.  happy061.gif

Whatever floats your boat! LOL!  :thumbsup:

(that kitchen knife might be a tool in the eyes of the chef, but to the watermelon, it's a weapon.  scared011.gif)