WildSurvive Forum

I'm looking for some good wool blankets for camp. Not the $300 big bedspread ones, but just like you would buy any other blankets, just a blanket (or two). I dont want to spend too much, maybe $15-$25 or so each, so.....

Any good retailers?

Check out some army surplus stores. You should be able to find some there at a reasonable price.

Check out some army surplus stores. You should be able to find some there at a reasonable price.

Hummm we got a big surplus store south of here about 50 miles. I dont remember seeing army surplus wool blankets. Do they still issue wool?  They got lots of clothing though so they might be in there.

I couldn't find any at our Surplus that I would want.....they had some that STUNK or were messed up.  I got brand new ones from Major for $15.00 at Christmas time.  I also had gotten some used ones from them. They were in great shape...smelled like moth balls, but that washed out. 

Excellent site Shrek.  I have dealt with them in the past.  Good people.  I want to go check their store out sometime along. 

Yeah, I like them. Mind you, I have only bought one thing so far, but the service was great. As far as wool blankets go, I believe askdemice has a site that he buys he wool pants and blankets from. If he can pull himself away from his mirror for a few minutes, maybe he can drop on in here to enlighten us.

I believe askdemice has a site that he buys he wool pants and blankets from. If he can pull himself away from his mirror for a few minutes, maybe he can drop on in here to enlighten us.

Better watch it....., he'll just be telling us to shut up again  :whistle:

Better watch it....., he'll just be telling us to shut up again  :whistle:

Hey Mist and Shrek....... Just Shu.... oh forget it.....

I get most of my wool stuff from....

www.sportsmansguide.com

www.loadup.com

Kim....

Wool isn't as flamable as Fleece and its harder wearing... they are both effective and retain most of their insulating properties when wet. Fleece dries faster... but at the same time I find it to retain or even cause more condensation.

I'm sold on wool when it comes to wilderness living... every synthetic I've replaced with wool has performed better. Except those wool briefs... scratch-scratch... Maybe it was the fact that I got 2 sizes too small. That's what I was wearing for my avatar pic.

Wool thong.   :scared:

That's just WONG....... get it? .... wool + thong = wong.... ?..... nevermind... it was lame.....

I agree with Askdamice on the use of wool for the outdoors.

It doesn't melt like synthetics do when near a flame. It will produce toxic gases like other products can when burned.

Hydrogen cyanide is also a deadly poison produced by burning wool, silk, nylon and some plastics. Common elements in blankets and clothing.

Tess and I use both wool and fleece.  I can't wear wool directly on my skin, so we tend more towards fleece.  The comments about flammability are well founded.  Seems to me though like I heard about some fire retardant fleece types, but I could be wrong on that.  We keep a couple of wool blankets in the van...and here's the best place to buy them...rummage sales.  You can find some dandy wool blankets in good condition for from 3 to 5 bucks at farm rummage sales, auctions, etc.  Tess and I bought 3 in one summer, and now whenever we run across them in good shape we buy more.  Not that hard to put them in a wooden box with a few mothballs.  The fleece blankets are usually in the car, and they are what we use at home for those cold nights.

They like. I had the opertunity to have one wrapped around me while sitting out in the extreme cold this December past, and I was greatful for it. I will definatly be buying a couple.

Guest smallgamehunter

I'm looking for some good wool blankets for camp. Not the $300 big bedspread ones, but just like you would buy any other blankets, just a blanket (or two). I dont want to spend too much, maybe $15-$25 or so each, so.....

Any good retailers?

www.imsplus.com its my local army surplus and they have excellent service