WildSurvive Forum

Guest smallgamehunter

never really cared to much for anything from harbor freight i been to one of their outlet stores and dont seem like a place i would spend money

Wait. Are Ask and Tatonka saying that they like wool, or that they dont?

Ummm unless something drastic has changed in the last little while Mice could be the buy wool spokesperson...he'd probably do it for free...ok so probably not for free.... but you get the point.

Wool does an awesome at keeping you warm that's why we were issued two of them when I went through basic.... it's just that my first experiences with it were in South Ga. at Fort Benning during basic training and the blankets I had were the scratchiest things I'd ever felt....I grew up in a family of quilt makers and much prefered sleeping with quilts. Now as long as I have something between it and my skin I guess I'm good.

Question  is wool better then fleece for blankets. :squirrel:

My personal opinion is that wool is the best outdoors material going, but fleece works great under the wool and maybe that's true for blankets too.  Add a tarp over the blankets and good insulation under you and you've got a winning combination.

Both have their downsides.  Wool is heavy, smells when wet, moths call it food, it can make you itch and can be expensive.  Fleece doesn't insulate as well when wet, isn't as durable and melts when it comes into contact with a spark from the fire.

Did anyone mention the Salvation Army Thrift Stores?  It is Summer here so Wool Blankets are showing up in very good condition.  I clean mine with Woolite in the washing machine on Gentle Cycle.  Most recent find a 100% Wool Blanket in Queen size in excellant condition for $4 U.S..  I have filled my Camphor Wood chest for the Winter, hope you can do as well. Good Luck.

I know this is kind of an older topic, but has anyone looked into Pendelton Wool Blankets? They're really really good wool blankets. Their I think 95% wool or something and they don't itch. I heard the Yakima style is good for camping.

The only place I've been able to find them is the "Made In Oregon" stores. But you could always order them online. They are a little pricey though.

Guest smallgamehunter

sportsmansguide usually has a pretty decent deal on military issue wool blankets.  i myself use a wool blanket inside a military poncho liner  i have found it to be more waterproof

Hummm we got a big surplus store south of here about 50 miles. I dont remember seeing army surplus wool blankets. Do they still issue wool?  They got lots of clothing though so they might be in there.

I was just issued two US Army wool blankets two years ago.  When I recently left the Guard I had to turn them back in.  I was shocked they still issued them or wanted them back.  Somehow I acquired 2 when I was Active duty.  I keep one in my Jeep and one in my basement. 

I was also issued an OD scarf I kept. When I joined the Guard and the first time I wore it in the field a lot of newer enlistees never knew that was an issued item.  I still have and wear it.  It is hollow in the inside and it is stretchy so I can put it on top of my head like a skull cap and then wrap the tail around my neck and face….