WildSurvive Forum
survivordan

A Small Modern Survival Kit For Primtiive Back-Up

I want a small little survival kit that would fit in, say, a back pocket, that would be discreet enough to take camping, but enough to last me 1 night in the bush. Any ideas?

That's a tough one SD.

You can't be too worried about how small it needs to stay when thinking about Survival (unless there's a reason like you're hiding it from someone or only allowed to bring XX number of things with you).

A common Altoids Tin is about as small as you can go... because to be "enough" for a night really depends on HOW you are when stranded, WHAT is happening in the world and WHERE you're stranded at. Throw into the mix anything like rain, sickness, injury or any other problems and you'll need more than what a pockets worth of items can give you.

But if you're already going camping, you'll probably know the temperature, rainfall expectations, there won't be any worldly problems or you wouldn't be going camping... you'd be bugging out and all you ASSUME you'll need is shelter and fire for one night.

Remeber the common clue of ASSUME though.

None-the-less, an altoids tin containing the following would work out.

Needle and Thread

Fishing Line

Mag. Stick or Swedish Fire Match

Char Cloth

Signal Mirror

Medication (Advil, Benedryl...)

Razor Blades

Knife

Second Skin or other liquid bandaid

Small Garbage Bag (for some kind of rain protection or make-shift shelter

The main ingredient to survival is fire. Concentrate on getting fire building stuff. You will need a knife. Anything after that is secondary.

The main ingredient to survival is fire. Concentrate on getting fire building stuff. You will need a knife. Anything after that is secondary.

We think a lot alike.

You can check these out -  http://www.instructables.com/id/Altoids-Survival-Kit/

http://www.fieldandstream.com/fieldstream/photogallery/0,13355,1225788_17,00.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini_survival_kits

Or get yourself one of Doug Ritters PSK's and carry that. You can modify it to carry the things that should be carried in it. Or you could do something with this -

http://www.prosurvivalkit.com/mube.html and then it would be with you all the time.

Gotta agree with these other guys.  Definitely fire and a blade are what you need to focus on.  Anything else you add will be bonus.

If you are looking for a good little tuck-away knife the Gerber Ridge Knife is a good one. The one I gave Lisa five years ago has been through alot and has held up very well. It is small enough that it would be hard to be accused of carrying a weapon anywhere other than school. I gave my brother one at the same time, and he loves his too. Since it is sucha small blade I personaly prefer the 50/50 edge.

PICT0178cropped.jpg

I have a mini ridge as well, and it is a great knife. I tend to carry my Kershaw LST more, but only because I like plain edge blades more. They are both about the same size, but the LST is a bit thicker. Another blade that comes to mind is one that Scott Gossman makes. This link shows it http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556280 Basically it is Scott's Ferro Rod striker, but sharpened, I think it would make a heck of a utility blade. Small, easily carried.

I like Mist's kit, only short fall I see is water collection.

I am also going to suggest you do not buy a prebuilt kit, but put one together yourself. Why? Because when you do that, you think over the uses of each item carefully, and you know what you plan to use it for, and the quality of the item. Then if you have to actually use it, you have in mind why it's there. I have yet to find a prebuilt kit I would recommend to anyone, except the fact that when it comes down to it, some kind of kit is better then nothing.

That kit is primarily to have on us when we go walking and eating down town. Lol, there is only so much you can get away with carrying into restaurants and coffee shops...., hence the bare necessities attitude. There is a lot more stuff left in the truck or the car. Hmmmmm, I wonder howmany couples have; firestarters, compasses, cordage, bandages, shelter materials, water filtration, can openers, flash lights and light sticks, folding knives, a Gerber LMF and a Chris Reeve Aviator, as well as a few other things......, all on their person while eating at their favorite three or four star restaurant.

Mist,

I was noticing that the matches are facing tips up. Is there a striker under the cap? If so turn them down my friend. I know some have a piece of sandpaper glued to the underside of the cap.

Mist,

I was noticing that the matches are facing tips up. Is there a striker under the cap? If so turn them down my friend. I know some have a piece of sandpaper glued to the underside of the cap.

Lol, the "striker" is laying between the knife and the mag stick, it doesn't fit in the case, and I like the matches facing up better because down the would rub and beat against the bottom and the heads would crumble.

Just wondering as I know they use to put sandpaper in the caps to use as the match striker.

Thats the match case you were going to modify and put a striker in the end of it instead of that little ferro rod.

I've tried so many times to post a full post on here, but had to go before I could finish.

In mine, I would probably just include:

Waterproof Matches

Button Compass

Whistle

Pocket Knife

Needle + Thread + Safety Pins + Fishing Line (Repair Kit)

Garbage Bags

All in a pocket for a hike.

Survivordan, here’s an inventory list and a picture of my Altoids tin kit that might help you for ideas. It really all fits in the tin too.  :)

Folded aluminum foil

Tea-light with an empty tea-light cup covering the wax

Mini flashlight & laser light combo

Compass

Leatherman Squirt multi-tool

2 safety pins

Metal whistle

Hacksaw blade cut to size

Striker rod w/o magnesium

Whittled 1” section of pencil

Paper

Needles & thread (additional thread can be taken from the hem of my shirt)

4 fish hooks of 2 sizes

Can opener

Mint strips wrapped in trimmed sandwich bag (stomach pangs)

Top Ramen seasoning packet (for salt or broth)

Aspirin in a small Ziploc bag

6 match tips and striker pad (cut to fit) in waterproof vial (hold tips w/ multi-tool pliers to light tea-light candle)

40’ of plastic coated necklace beading wire with crimp-beads rolled onto a sewing machine bobbin (for fishing or snares)

Neosporin packet

2 crunched (to fit) Pepto Bismuth tabs individually sealed

1 large stickpin

The tin has a wide piece of tape to ensure it stays closed and a larger plastic bag goes over the tin before tucking it in my purse or pocket.

Altoidstinkit1.jpg

THat looks good, but were it mine, I'd include something more than just match heads and a firesteel, like a frensel lens, or full sized matches.

Thanks! The matches have about 1cm of the cardboard still attached to them, trimmed from a matchbook. The shortened length is able to hold a flame long enough to light the candle and quickly get a larger fire going if needed. (Space was a concern and the extra match length wasn't needed.) Hmmmm, yes the lens would be a nice addition.  :thumbup:

Weyfere,

Nice looking kit. I would add some strike anywhere matches dipped in wax to make them waterproof to it. Also add a few splitshot sinkers to it for fishing. And maybe a sm LED flashlight as they are quite bright. I have found those at AC Moore craft stores for a $1.00 a piece. Or from here  http://www.countycomm.com/index1.htm. They also have nice LED flashlights for a $1.00 and they are bright. Also have other gadgets.

Just some suggestions for you.

Thank you Tatonka. The mini flashlight & laser light combo is LED for the flashlight.  I picked it up for $1.00!  :hugegrin:

I thought about dipping the matches in wax but decided that due to the extreme hot temps where I live, the thin coating would become a solid mess. In a cooler climate this would do quite well. Instead I used teflon tape with a gasket ring in the lid to seal the vial, then tested it by leaving it in a glass of water. The tea-light candle stays solid being that it's a large chunk of wax.

The sinkers are a good idea.  I wear beaded necklaces and the beads (glass, stone, metal) make a nice substitute.

or you can dip the matches in varnish or coat them with nail polish. Then when you light them they burn hot.

Nail polish... Really???  Wow I've gotta try that one!  :cool:

Hmmm, tough decision now. Do I go with hot pink or clear?

Survivordan, heres an inventory list and a picture of my Altoids tin kit that might help you for ideas. It really all fits in the tin too.  :)

Folded aluminum foil

Tea-light with an empty tea-light cup covering the wax

Mini flashlight & laser light combo

Compass

Leatherman Squirt multi-tool

2 safety pins

Metal whistle

Hacksaw blade cut to size

Striker rod w/o magnesium

Whittled 1 section of pencil

Paper

Needles & thread (additional thread can be taken from the hem of my shirt)

4 fish hooks of 2 sizes

Can opener

Mint strips wrapped in trimmed sandwich bag (stomach pangs)

Top Ramen seasoning packet (for salt or broth)

Aspirin in a small Ziploc bag

6 match tips and striker pad (cut to fit) in waterproof vial (hold tips w/ multi-tool pliers to light tea-light candle)

40 of plastic coated necklace beading wire with crimp-beads rolled onto a sewing machine bobbin (for fishing or snares)

Neosporin packet

2 crunched (to fit) Pepto Bismuth tabs individually sealed

1 large stickpin

The tin has a wide piece of tape to ensure it stays closed and a larger plastic bag goes over the tin before tucking it in my purse or pocket.

Altoidstinkit1.jpg

Great set up.  Thanks for sharing.

I dont like wax-dipped matches. Either, like Weyfarere said, they mel, or they make the matches 'light-proof', which kind of defeats the purpose. I have yet to try Shellac, like Nessmuck. Thats next. And besides, primitive man didnt have wax to waterproof matches with. Or matches....... Wow, I just spoiled my own argument......owch.......

Nail polish... Really???  Wow I've gotta try that one!  :cool:

Hmmm, tough decision now. Do I go with hot pink or clear?

Yes you dip the heads in firsat let them dry then dip the remaining matchstick in and coat it also then let it dry. My preference would be clear. It won't clash with what your wearing :whistle: