WildSurvive Forum
mistwalker

A different perspective on Urban Survival....., check your closet

And I thought I knew a thing or two about making urban survival more comfortable.........

By MARI YAMAGUCHI, Associated Press Writer

Fri May 30, 7:05 AM ET

TOKYO - A homeless woman who sneaked into a man's house and lived undetected in his closet for a year was arrested in Japan after he became suspicious when food mysteriously began disappearing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Police found the 58-year-old woman Thursday hiding in the top compartment of the man's closet and arrested her for trespassing, police spokesman Hiroki Itakura from southern Kasuya town said Friday.

The resident of the home installed security cameras that transmitted images to his mobile phone after becoming puzzled by food disappearing from his kitchen over the past several months.

One of the cameras captured someone moving inside his home Thursday after he had left, and he called police believing it was a burglar. However, when they arrived they found the door locked and all windows closed.

"We searched the house ... checking everywhere someone could possibly hide," Itakura said. "When we slid open the shelf closet, there she was, nervously curled up on her side."

The woman told police she had no place to live and first sneaked into the man's house about a year ago when he left it unlocked.

She had moved a mattress into the small closet space and even took showers, Itakura said, calling the woman "neat and clean."

Now that is resourceful to say the least. A whole yr in a closet while he was there and when he left she was the lady of the house. Well he is lucky she could have cleaned him out thats for sure. Instead of just taking showers and eating his food.

Heck.... I'd keep her on board as long as she did some housework. She obviously can keep to herself and isn't a big burden, finacially.

Heck.... I'd keep her on board as long as she did some housework. She obviously can keep to herself and isn't a big burden, finacially.

I personally thought she had demonstrated a strong sense of honor, integrity, self discipline, and good moral fiber, I think I would have kept her on as a house keeper and let her earn her keep....., and  sleep somewhere besides the closet of course

I personally thought she had demonstrated a strong sense of honor, integrity, self discipline, and good moral fiber, I think I would have kept her on as a house keeper and let her earn her keep....., and  sleep somewhere besides the closet of course

Agreed..... I wonder if she is available on mail order?

Of course in thinking this over... I am more amazed she could keep so quiet for a year, without being detected.

I never would have dreamed it possible to have a female living with me for over a year and still have quiet :D

I agree with you Mist. I wouldn't have had her arrested. She didn't take anything but some food and lived in his closet. And he left the door unlocked. She did what she had to to survive and did. A whole year living there undetected.

I am curious as to what happened at that stage of her life to make her actions necessary, and what her life had been like up to that point. She was 58 years old for pete's sake.

Thats just it Mister. I feel so sorry for her. How awful for any one on this earth to have to stoop to that. Poor lady.

Obviously the man isn't hrting for money. He has a cell phone...., the missing food took seven months to become a real issue to him, and he had the finances to install hi-tech cameras that were linked to his cell phone. I wonder if his callous actions now gnaw on his conscience at night....., I certainly hope so.  :glare:

I snore like a grizzly bear...or so I am told.  I would have been caught the first night.  I am in agreement, she was VERY resourceful.  Obviously no threat.  I would let her stay as a house keeper.