WildSurvive Forum

I'm pretty sure this has been covered, but I thought that I could offer up a review of my experiences with some shovels I've used.

1st up is this folder, shovel/pick combo. :thumbdown: The locking nut jambed up and when I finally got it free, not too long after the handle snapped off with a minimal amount of leverage.

0760060450ccd5e41fn5.jpg

0760060450ccd5e41fn5.0dc4fe3807.jpg

2nd up, aan all steel folder. Should be alot more solid, right? Wrong. :thumbdown: The handle would bend over while digging a fire pit and the lock nut kept coming loose. The ground I was digging in was a peat cover with a sandy soil underneath with small to medium sized roots.

Although I like the compactability of it, it is not a very dependible tool.

0760063450scd5e51jh0.jpg

0760063450scd5e51jh0.1646fb8260.jpg

3rd up. This is not exactly the model,but it is very similar. It's about the same size as the 1st one, but way more solid. It acctually feels about the same weight as the 1st 2. I did a whole lot of digging in the same ground as the other ones, and it held up.

although I wouldn't try prying big rocks with it, I have complete faith in it. I plan on cutting in the serrated teeth along 1 edge to help cut through the roots.

0596858450cc6150d1nw7.jpg

0596858450cc6150d1nw7.4261d47f15.jpg

Well, I hope this helps anyone who is trying to decide on a shovel, either for camping or a survival kit. :thumbsup:

As you may remember, Shrek... I had one of those tri-fold shovels on of training trip. It was pretty damaged and although it served its purpose, I retired it when I got home. Having a shovel made things alot easier for that trip so I scoured the net trying to find a replacement that fit the bill.

Here it is....

cssf_alders.jpg

The Cold Steel Special Forces shovel.

Not as compact as a folder but small enough not to be in the way. Very robust and sharp(especially after I reprofiled the edges). With a small modification it becomes field reparable, too. I was just throwing mine at a target the other day!!!

Modification...

There are two holes drilled in the shovel head's receiving sleeve for a set screw to hold the wooden handle on. That means you need a screwdriver to get the handle off should it break... my way of solving this was to remove the screw and continue drilling the hole completely through to the other side. I then slid a length of paracord through, knotted the ends and melted them. If the handle breaks in the bush I can cut the cord and remove the broken piece without having to carry a screwdriver or accidentally losing the screw.

Rick

here is a great review....  http://www.cutleryscience.com/reviews/cs_shovel.html 

Funny thing, when I was looking for shovels, I came across this one. They have a video of them throwing it at wood and clay targets. They say its modeled after the spetznaz shovel. I was interested till I found the one I am now using, at Wally World for 15$ tx in. I agree with you on the other shovels. When you're in a pinch, they are better than nothing.  That was a good review on the shovel. I like how he used the fixed blade and hatchet as a basis.

I still like my U.S. issue tri fold, it is made by Ames Tools, I just sharpened it at work the other night....., got some funny looks for that one too.

PICT0068.jpg

Thats the ones I used before, Mist. I found that around here, especially in the winter... they break down quick... perhaps i use it too aggressively?

Thats the ones I used before, Mist. I found that around here, especially in the winter... they break down quick... perhaps i use it too aggressively?

Nope, I doubt it's you, the gear has to work for the terrain you're in......, this one works well in mine, but apparently not so well in the frozen north lol

On my tri fold shovel I put a crack in the metal peice that you tighten to keep the shovel stiff, Dont know when it happened but I noticed it later after using it a bit.... Still works but I retired it for backyard gardening only....

the coldsteel one looks like a good replacement, I have also seen old military ones in the army surplus stores around that have wooden handles much like the coldsteel version.

I've used an old U.S.-issue shovel made very much like the one Shrek shows in that first picture, and my biggest problem with it was that the locking nut would always loosen on me, allowing too much play in the spade and pick.  I haven't tried the newer NATO mil-issue tri-folds yet, but about 10 years ago I got a German Bundeswehr military folding shovel.  The locking nut is totally different from the threaded nut arrangement found on the old US mil-issue shovels and the NATO shovel, it has a spring-loaded cross-bolt arrangement that locks the spade and pick into the postition you want and then releases it on demand with out any trouble.  Tough little sucker, it doesn't fold as compactly as the tri-fold and is heavier, but solid!  The price is nice, too.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/CORP020-2333-520.html

I've used it in camp and around the house and it probably has another 20 years of life left in it as long as I take reasonable care of it. 

After posting my new shovel I decided to go touch up the edges.....

Well I sliced the top of my nuckle off in the process!!!!

See.........

dafinger.jpg

That's for you, Shrek.

And just how many four-letter words did ya let fly??   :hugegrin:

About 8-10 ... but my son was with me so I left the last letter off of most of em.... lol.

Real nice Ask. I can suggest a place to stick it so it can heal. :P I wasn't using the 1st 2 shovels in frozen ground, but rather soft but with lost of roots. I guess that my shrekness was to much for them. I like that german model. Mind you, I think that the blade could be a little more of a spaded profile. It would make it easier to cut into the ground with. Personal opinion only.

Ya, special olympics special. wacky078.gif Dave, the 3rd shovel I got from Wal-Mart, in the gardening section. The pic that I used is not the actual shovel. I just used it as an example.

Well technically I have slept with you, Shrek..... although it wasn't that memorable.....

happy070.gif

love072.gif

:smoke:

I know what you mean thats the problem with that man thing camping. Ive never been comfortable sleeping in close contact with men.  :nono:

I dont know whats the matter with me I just cant get used to it.  :blushing:

Guest blacksmith

oh we have one of them  :help: no small tents

Hey, I wasn't the only one. Crazy, count yourself fortunate that you weren't  behind Ask when his wind canon went off. :dead: It took a while for my eyebrows to grow back. I guess Swede wasn't in line to see Bareback( I mean brokeback) Mountain. love072.gif

"....I wish I knew how to quit you, Swede!!

Ok Bob....., you've completely lost me here...., did I miss something again ???