WildSurvive Forum
Woodsman

A different kind of deadfall

This was done EARLY this morning and I was in a bit of a hurry so its no where near perfect......but you should get the idea.

Picture205.jpg

Picture204.jpg

Picture203.jpg

Picture202.jpg

Picture201.jpg

Picture200.jpg

Picture199.jpg

Picture198.jpg

That should work. I like the spring loaded trigger. I think maybe some things to block getting to the bait from the wrong side.

Cool, Woods

My critique...

1. I wouldn't use green wood for the spring stick cause it'll hold the shape after a while.

2. I would put the deadfall support on a rock or something because it may sink into the ground and stick.

3. You may find that even when the trigger stick is pulled from the toggle that the top half of the vertical trigger mechanism (which resembles a promontory deadfall trigger) wont disengage fully.

But like you said.... it isn't done yet..... tweek it up, bro.... that is looking pretty bad a$$.

That should work. I like the spring loaded trigger. I think maybe some things to block getting to the bait from the wrong side.

Well actually this is best used as a fenced in deadfall.....but it was a "pic how to" for someone and that had already been discussed....so I didnt bother, Like I said it was EARLY!!! LOL

Cool, Woods

My critique...

1. I wouldn't use green wood for the spring stick cause it'll hold the shape after a while.

2. I would put the deadfall support on a rock or something because it may sink into the ground and stick.

3. You may find that even when the trigger stick is pulled from the toggle that the top half of the vertical trigger mechanism (which resembles a promontory deadfall trigger) wont disengage fully.

Same response as above LOL........I already did this for someone but needed some pics "Just cause" so I thought I would share them with ya...it came down about 2 seconds after I got the last pic...as with everything else I snap pics of...

Green wood should honestly be avoided at all cost in any deadfall, snare, any kind of trap....it makes it more suspicious to the animals......if you have to use green wood though, its best to smoke them or if posible, rub them in the scat of the animal you are trying for.

OH!!!!!!!!!! And this is also a fulcrum based deadfall (Didnt get pics of that part) the stick is rammed under a shed which creats tention on the deadfall as it is pulled up.......so it basically springs down on top of whateveritis your after....the platform created by the spikes could also hold rocks etc for added crushing weight......

:nono:  Just put the pink  oops.gif I mean salmon colored spork there with the pork and you will catch something or someone :woot:

nice deadfall. is it easy to make looks like it.  happy070.gif

ummmmm......., no......, but it gets that way with practice......., lots of practice

nice deadfall. is it easy to make looks like it.  happy070.gif

Well I think so........but like Mistwalker said....it does take a bit of practice.....

IMO this is actually pretty crappy looking, but as I said I was rushed and it really didnt need to be functional......I have had a few people comment on how much cordage I use etc when doin some of these traps but I like to use a little extra when pic takin so it stands out better.......a few of you who know can probably see all the loose ends of cordage hanging off....a few extra inches of unneeded sticks etc...........One of the things Bow and I talked about a year or so ago is the importance of keeping only what you need on your trap....IE cutting off anything that hangs off it which could be a piece of stick stickin out or loose cordage....its those little things that can get snagged etc and possibly ruin your chances for sucess.

Something else that Id like to point out is the use of different triggers as it pertains to the particular trap.....Im sure you notice that this isnt a trap you would want to have your hands under as you set up a fig 4 or the like....I know Ive bashed my fingers on a rock more than once settin those up....A trap like this could easily go right through your hand so this trigger enables you to do a safer set up. When I was innitially showing this I used my one stick trigger as in the other thread from yesturday......wasnt too pretty LOL got lucky more than once...

Excellent deadfall Woodsman.  :thumbup:  You had mentioned this was put together in a hurry but I was wondering about the way the spikes are set in.  Would you tie them as shown above or cut "shoulders" similar to this and tie a row of spikes between a split stick?  Or?

Spike.jpg

actually I used 2 diff methods.....one set was notched then the brace was notched as well then tied in....the other set was notched the same way but on both sides then sandwiched between the brace and another stick shaved down flat, simmilar to whats in your pic........hope that made sence.....

Yes!  :yes:    Like the corner assmbly of the toy Lincoln logs. Thanks.  I can sure see how being lucky AND quick helps in this kind of construction!

Excellent deadfall Woodsman.  :thumbup:  You had mentioned this was put together in a hurry but I was wondering about the way the spikes are set in.  Would you tie them as shown above or cut "shoulders" similar to this and tie a row of spikes between a split stick?  Or?

Spike.jpg

Weyfarere, you keep showing pics reminiscent of "mortise and tenon" or "dovetailing" and you might just get Blue to sniff his way back to the forums! Nice looking detail by the way!