WildSurvive Forum

As I have had 9 hours to suck up water and think, I was wondering about this.  I know its a matter of preference and skill/ect, but I want some opinions.  I have a lot of survival stuff in my pack and a lot of hiking/camping/backpacking stuff in my pack, should I split it into two packs?  Have a small rucksack or somthing for my survival stuff and keep my bag for camping/hiking?  Ideas? THanks!

I have about five packs larger and smaller and am constantly checking, changing, swapping and rearranging depending on current circumstances....., take from that what you will.

Tess and I each have a survival kit (fanny pack).  Then we have the backpacks, which if stocked with food, are good for 9 days without having to forage for food.  Normally when we come home, we unpack any food left, clean all the dishes and utensils, and replace everything in the packs, with the exception of the sleeping bags, which are uncompressed and kept in big breathable bags (made out of old sheets).  At a moments notice, those can be thrown into the van, along with the sleeping bags, and away we go.  We keep our good winter backpacking clothing in the backpacks after laundering on return, and if we happen to do a backpack in summer (which we don't do very often, because we both hate the bugs), we can take the clothing out.  If we were bugging out, of course, those clothes would be gold.  We have one spare survival kit that is in one of the "in use" cars at all times for road emergencies.  All vehicles have a toolkit, jumper cables, and spare oil, brake fluid, and water/antifreeze.  The spare survival kit can also be used if we happen to take someone with us camping.  Because the backpacks contain everything we need for camping without using anything out of a survival kit, there is some redundancy, which really doesn't hurt anything.

Eventually, we want to buy a small enclosed trailer to keep all of the camping gear in, and that will make the get up and go process much quicker.

Ive got quite a few myself.....I usually stick to one though and store unneeded gear in the others....My Camelback Motherload is a bit big for just a few days in the woods or a day out of reaserch....why I like my new Camelback Talon...I still have empty space in there but I can always use that to throw in a change of clothes or jacket etc....I keep it set up so that its just grab and go....but if I need to add something such as food the space is already made for it. I keep everything in a specific pocket so that if I dont happen to need that particular thing that day I can just pop it out and be on my way.......why I LOVE MOLLE pouches and each pouch has a specific purpose with specific items that I never change (Although that does get modified every now and then)...it takes seconds to add one or take it off depending on what I am doin......My Blackberry case is even a MOLLE pouch...on my belt usually, but when Im in the bush it attatches right to the shoulder strap so I can get to it easily...

Hope that helped and made sence

To me it depends on the kit's purpose.  The big kit in my car would be more weight than I would ever want to include in with my regular camping pack.  The survival kit in my camping supplies is much smaller.  On the other hand, my BOB weighs over 25lbs.  Like some of these other guys, I have different sized packs for different uses, and I try not to swap the contents between them too much.  Sometimes, though, I just don't have alot of choice, for instance the larger fanny-pack survival kits in the two cars have nearly identical contents.  And each of the BOB's have a smaller, "break away" pack that will provide the barest necessities in case the rest has to be left behind.  I'll try to get some pics tonight.

The whole thing together weighs 25lbs or just the survival kit?  What I did was separate the survival kit stuff in my BOB's, so I can just grab the survival kit out of a BOB and still have the basics (fire, shelter, water).  I guess what I'm saying is I have my survival kit separate from the normal hiking/camping stuff, but the survival kit fits inside the bigger pack if I want to take it along.

I have my EDC, which is my Personal Survival Kit that is always with me, tucked into pockets and worn on belt.  It consists of a slightly modified Ritter/AM pocket surivival kit, an AM pocket medic, bandana, AM Heat sheet, lighter, pocket knife, belt pouch w/Vic SAK - compass topped match safe w/fire tinder, duct tape, fish/trap/sew kit - G2 gel pen.  When I head out for a day, I add a small pack with water, food, stove, fuel, cup, additional firestarting material, book, writing tablet, etc.  I have a different pack for different occassions, which add upgraded shelter, additional clothing and other essentials for the amount of time and my purpose for being there.  Then I have other gear bags for the vehicles and just for storing items that I stock up on. 

I have my pack for camp. For my survival kit, until I can stitch up a nice pouch for it, its just in a plastic baggy. For a BOB, I would go somewhere and buy a seperate small day pack. But yes, I would keep survival gear seperate from your normal stuff. Because sometimes at camp, you dont need the survival gear, which adds weight, and sometimes you just want your BOB/Survival Kit, not everything else.

I have been moderately annoyed at the weight of my pack on my past few getaways.  Maybe I'm just a weakling because I'm a computer geek who gets little exercise.  Anyway, I've been looking into the minimalist approach, and picked up a 625 cubic inch lumbar pack last night.  After configuring and reconfiguring my gear several times, I think I've got it narrowed down to everything I need.  The only thing I don't have in it is my tent, which I think I'm going to go and pick up a compression sack for and strap it to the outside of the pack.  Here is the link for the pack:  http://marmot.com/fall_2007/equipment/packs/day/flathead/details