WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Swede

Wild pictures

Okay, here are my pictures from today's trip to Grandfather Mountain, about 3 hours away from Charlotte, in the Appalachian Mountains.  I took some shots from my car, a picture of a cute house I saw, and pictures from some of the overlooks on the Blue Ridge Parkway and pictures from the top of Grandfather Mountain.  I like the one of my feet hanging over the side of the mountain.  I didn't hike much today, I hurt too bad, but I had fun climbing on the rocks!  In some of the shots, you'll know exactly why they call them "The Blue Ridge Mountains" or "The Great Smoky Mountains".

grandfathermountain004at9.jpg

grandfathermountain005uz5.jpg

grandfathermountain006jo3.jpg

grandfathermountain007pi3.jpg

grandfathermountain008ct4.jpg

grandfathermountain009dq9.jpg

grandfathermountain010ku4.jpg

grandfathermountain011se8.jpg

grandfathermountain012um2.jpg

grandfathermountain013xz7.jpg

grandfathermountain014ff1.jpg

grandfathermountain015lo9.jpg

grandfathermountain016sp4.jpg

grandfathermountain017pj3.jpg

grandfathermountain018vw3.jpg

grandfathermountain019ow5.jpg

SK, you and your parents are welcome to come visit me and I'll be happy to take all of you up there.  Anytime, Little Brother!

You are welcome to come visit anytime!  Just don't fall in love with Ashley.  She's three year's older than you, making her "an older woman"! LOL!

Guest Lead Dog

Very beautiful.  You are blessed to live so close to such gorgeous country.

Im not really good at drivin up those mountain roads. It makes me hold a tight ass.

Hey Ill bet theres gold in that little stream.

Nice pics Holly.

WOW Holly those pictures are amazing  :thumbsup: ... what a beautiful area to hike in :yes: and the mountains are amazing as well  :woot: thanks for sharing those great pics with us  :yes: :kiss:

Holly both sets of your recently posted images are out of this world. The colours in the first set are quite stunning and the wow the views in second set is amazing.

I have a photo of Holly at last  :blushing: well here feet  :err:

I'm so glad you like the pictures!  I have always loved my Appalachian mountains.  There's no place like home!    :grin:

I took Ashley and her friend Sophie with me to the Colonel Beaty Park up the street from our house.  We walked five miles today.  The weather is absolutely incredible.  As we walked, we were talking about what we think Heaven is like.  We decided that Heaven would have woods and open meadows like the ones we were walking through today, but even better.

colonelfrancisbeatyparkdi8.jpg

colonelfrancisbeatyparkjd6.jpg

colonelfrancisbeatyparkww1.jpg

colonelfrancisbeatyparkok9.jpg

colonelfrancisbeatyparkyi2.jpg

colonelfrancisbeatyparkom6.jpg

colonelfrancisbeatyparkqb1.jpg

colonelfrancisbeatyparkil2.jpg

colonelfrancisbeatyparksp8.jpg

Guest Lead Dog

Very nice pics!  What a great last minute idea to go for a hike.  ;)

You dont know how much one of those girls looks like my grand daughter.

Thanks Holly great pictures again.

I don't know if these qualify as "Wild Pictures" but they were taken in Wild West Virginia!  I posted these in another thread, but I couldn't resist sharing them with you here too!   :hugegrin:

whitewaterhz9.jpg

whitewater2og2.jpg

Okay, most of you know that I went to the Outer Banks of North Carolina over Thanksgiving.  We stayed in a house on the beach with most of the members of my mom's side of the family.  I won't bore you with the many, many pictures of all my cousins and the girlfriends and boyfriends and extended family, but I did get some really cool pictures of some of the wild areas.  Hope you enjoy these!

View from the front porch in Atlantic Beach.  This was our first day and a huge major coastal storm had ravaged the coastline and flooded a lot of the coastal areas.

viewfromporchatlanticbeep3.jpg

View to my left as I walked out on the deck

viewfromdeckatlanticbeavd7.jpg

My favorite picture!

atlanticbeachip3.jpg

Pelicans

pelicansatlanticbeachtb8.jpg

The storm was so bad, it demolished the whole end of the pier near the house!

pieraftermajorstormatlasa3.jpg

Part of the pier ended up on the beach.

partofpieraferstormatlagc3.jpg

After that first cold and rainy day, the sun came out and we left for Harkers Island.  We took a boat ride to Shackleford Banks, a small island that hosts approximately 150 wild horses descended from the original Spanish horses when the Spaniards landed there.  The horses were hanging out in the thickets, so I only got a picture of a couple of them.  They swim the channels from island to island, grazing and running through the dunes.

View from the boat dock, waiting for Cap'n Calico

shacklefordbanks57rm7.jpg

My cousin Roger, walking on water.  Actually, the water level was so high, most of the docks were under water!

shacklefordbanks58xg5.jpg

Aunt Gail and Ashley, freezing on the boat!  It was COLD!

gailandashleyshackleforew7.jpg

shacklefordbanks61ut9.jpg

Harker's Island Lighthouse in the distance...

lighthouseshacklefordisge8.jpg

This is where "Cap'n Calico" dropped us off on Shackelford Banks, a nine mile long island.

shacklefordbanks65xp7.jpg

shacklefordbanksem0.jpg

This is the interior of the island.  It's hard to tell, but the interior is nothing but big sand dunes with marsh grass at the base of the dunes.  I hiked through the whole interior, jumping from grass tuft to grass tuft in the marshy areas.  It was very wet after the storm. 

(Sorry!  I had salt water on my lens and didn't notice it until later!)

interiorofislandshacklest5.jpg

shacklefordbanks4wa6.jpg

shacklefordyx9.jpg

Hoof print

shacklefordbanks66pw7.jpg

Wild horses!

shacklefordbanks1cz6.jpg

shacklefordbanks9vf8.jpg

Mr. Crab!

shacklefordbanks3go2.jpg

Thank you, Radek!  I'm still trying to get used to the zoom lens.  I forget I have it sometimes! 

I really love North Carolina.  I live in the best part, halfway to the mountains and halfway to the beach!

Fantastic Pics!!

You just had to  show the pic with your feet haning over the edge of the cliff/mountain didn't you..... shudders

just a little vertigo