WildSurvive Forum
mistwalker

An Improvised Shelter; AMK Heatsheet

I have a small one but I havent taken it out of the package. I dont think mine is as big as that one.

The larger one is only 4 inches wider than the smaller one, but is 12 inches longer. May not be much of a difference, and may not matter under some circumstances but it does mean 956 more square inches of material which could be a plus.

I planned on using the heatsheet in combination with either the USGI poncho or a lite weight German military tarp.  They are supposed to be superior to the mylar space blanket for holding in the bodies heat, but I can see that they will work in a pinch as a shelter to keep wind/rain off, but I wouldn't think that they would last long in a strong breeze or heavy rain.

Well..., they're calling for storms today..., and it keeps getting darker but then lighter again..., with any luck I'll know how well it will hold up sometime today.

Well..., twelve days and a few storms and hard rains later..., with absolutely no maintenance, I think it's still holding up very well.

I took these Saturday after two good rains during the week. Still holding shape.

PICT0076.jpg

No rips or tears in the tie downs.

PICT0078.jpg

PICT0088.jpg

No punctures from falling debris so far.

PICT0079.jpg

PICT0080.jpg

This one was taken just after midnight tonight after off-and-on rains, then a hard rain that lasted an hour or so and then slowed down for another couple of hours and you can see where the ground in the center underneath is much drier than the area around it.

PICT0097.jpg

Great follow up on your post Mistwalker. They definately are something you should get a few of to have for your kits and BOB's.

I will have to do a winter test on one to follow up on yours.

Mist,

Was there any heavy winds?  How heavy would you say?

Great post and follow up post by-the-way.

I think I'm going to have to take out some blankets like them and test out their wind resistance on our hill, we get 20 MPH gusts regualarly.  There is NEVER a time when the air is still.

The best thing about those sheets is their so light packing them is no problem. Thanks Mister. I still like your idea of rubbish in stead of rocks for corner tie downs.  :thumbup:

Thanks Mist, excellent testing of the product.  Going to get a few more for sure.  I had planned on reinforcing the tie points with duct tape and then using the awl on my SAK, to poke a hole center of the tie down point, but your debris bundle is much easier to do in a pinch and seems to hold very well.

Thanks Mist, excellent testing of the product.  Going to get a few more for sure.  I had planned on reinforcing the tie points with duct tape and then using the awl on my SAK, to poke a hole center of the tie down point, but your debris bundle is much easier to do in a pinch and seems to hold very well.

Also, in most of these that I've seen, a small hole becomes half a sheet really soon.

The best thing about those sheets is their so light packing them is no problem. Thanks Mister. I still like your idea of rubbish in stead of rocks for corner tie downs.  :thumbup:

They are very light, hardly even know they are there in your kit just judging by weight.

Mist,

Was there any heavy winds?  How heavy would you say?

Great post and follow up post by-the-way.

I wasn't here during the worst rains because they happened in the evenings while I was gone to work. However it is backed up against a ridge and surrounded by trees so not as bad as had it been in an open field I'm sure. I'll have to relocate it to test wind resistance and heat reflection which will have to wait two weekends as Alayna's birthday party is next week, the next weekend I'm hitting the woods again. I am going to put a cut in the material near one of the tie-downs to see if it keeps ripping, if so I may have to use a new one to test the wind resistance and heat reflection.

I started the rip tests on the heatsheat this afternoon. I made a two inch cut in one edge where it is under tension from the tie-down and noting the proximity of the cut to the writing and pictures I will monitor how much further it tears, and how quickly.

PICT0103.jpg

PICT0102.jpg

Well..., I know it has only been 12 hours but the cut has gotten no bigger. I think I'll increase the tension on the tie-downs tomorrow and see what effect that has. I want to do the heat reflection test soon, I may buy another one this weekend for that.

This tells it all.............

bearsigndp0.jpg

So with that info.........I'd forget about how much my shelter ripped in the wind.....

or rain............

happy070.gif

This tells it all.............

bearsigndp0.jpg

So with that info.........I'd forget about how much my shelter ripped in the wind.....

or rain............

happy070.gif

Yeah...., well the only portable bear proof shelter I've ever seen was military, and portable only if you have the right helicopter, ten-wheel-drive truck, or tracked vehicle to transport it with...., definitely not packable.

Yeah...., well the only portable bear proof shelter I've ever seen was military, and portable only if you have the right helicopter, ten-wheel-drive truck, or tracked vehicle to transport it with...., definitely not packable.

I got that billboard from a friend thru email this morning and couldnt resist sending it for you. I dont do much primative camping, but when I did, it was fun. Now I go with most of the conveniences of home.......

Lol, when I go it's to get away from modern life. Away from noisy speeding cars, humming beeping machinery, bright lights, t.v's radios and computers.....,lol, the bustling city life and people.

Lol, when I go it's to get away from modern life. Away from noisy speeding cars, humming beeping machinery, bright lights, t.v's radios and computers.....,lol, the bustling city life and people.

Thats the nice thing bout living in the country...........no noisy speeding cars, humming beeping machinery, bright lights, and bustling city life.........

Thats the nice thing bout living in the country...........no noisy speeding cars, humming beeping machinery, bright lights, and bustling city life.........

Yup, can't beat the country.  Pee in the corn field, it doesn't matter. 

Well..., most of the noise is at work. I go to the woods when I want quiet because although it is quiet in my back yard even the occasional car passing and friends just stopping by un anounced is enough to get on my nerves after days at work. I'm not exactly a social person...., in fact most of my friends say I'm quite unsocial.

Guest blacksmith

I know what you mean I do not to have a lot of people around me just one or two at a time and not all the time

I know what you mean I do not to have a lot of people around me just one or two at a time and not all the time

Lol, I Love my few close friends to death, but only see them two times a month and can walk to their places in less than ten minutes...., I'm just really not a people person,I have little if anything in common with most, and think like very few if any.

Guest blacksmith

yeah that sounds like me and that is why I live up here