WildSurvive Forum
mistwalker

An Improvised Shelter; AMK Heatsheet

As far as I could tell by looking at it this afternoon it was absolutely unchnged, but I have been to busy to increase the tension on it. If I have the time I will do it tomorrow afternoon, if not it will be sunday...., no time aturday I already know.

I would think that any kind of breeze would easily open that slice up.  Seems to me that the heatsheet is pretty tough as compared to the mylar space blanket and it helps to reflect more heat back to the individual as well.  Wrapped myself in one last night and slept on the deck.  Got down to 50F and I was comfortable in shorts and T shirt.  As always, YMMV.

I increased the tension back to taught yesterday, still unchanged today pics later, gotta go to my little girl's birthday party now

Ok, these are from five days ago,

PICT0102.jpg

PICT0103.jpg

These are from tonight

PICT0146.jpg

PICT0147.jpg

I see no change at all in the rip and it was tightened up two days ago.

PICT0150.jpg

I am hoping for the oportunity to do the heat reflection tests tomorrow but I don't know If I will have the time or not, if not tomorrow it will likely be next weekend as we are sure to work over all next week also.

Well...., in the above pics and these the rip is still absolutely unchanged...., but if the coming storm is better than the last one I may get some very good data on rips and the strength of that cord lol. As I said at the begining this IS NOT a thread on correct shelter placement or location. Also the storms are making the heat reflection tests unappealing to say the least...., so next weekend...., I hope.

PICT0158.jpg

You can see the dark grey sky through the openings in the foilage.

PICT0159.jpg

And you without any ductape.

Lol, says who? It's just that this is a test of the heatsheet it's self.....,I've already seen the usefulness and versatility of hundred-mile-an-hour-tape (olive green duct tape) proven over and over again.

Mist,

That is proving that you should have it in your gear. I think it will hold unless you get a really big storm.

The heatsheet forsure. I already know about the tape. But the sheet is definately proving its worth. :thumbup:

Yep, we had high winds and hard rains pass through yesterday and from what I can tell looking out my window the heatsheet is still unchanged, I'll go up there and take some pics in a few. There are supposed to be more storms pass through this week, I'm just going to leave it there untill Friday night...., at least I hope I'll get to go do the other tests this weekend.

Well, I was right it was unchanged but it gets even better.

These are from yesterday morning

Todaybeforestorm-1.jpg

as you can see there is still no change at this point

Todaybeforestorm-2.jpg

Then after I got to work we had severe storms with very high winds and hard rains that cause flash flooding in some areas, knocked out power for a couple of hours and this is how I found it when I got in last night.

Todayafterstormandhardrains.jpg

maybestretchedalittle.jpg

loosenedalittlebyhiwinds.jpg

As you can see, it rained hard enough to stretch it out of shape a little, but no tears in the tie-downs, there is still a dry area underneath, there are no holes from any falling debris, and the rip is still unchanged. Now I'm impressed.

afterstorm.jpg

Heck yeah, me too!  They hold up much better than the HD industrial strength drum liners I carry and I carried 30# of dirt and debri in one to make sure that it was strong enough for other than shelter work.  The mylar space blanket don't stand a chance against the heatsheet.  Thanks for the test review on this MW, well done.

Wow, 30 pounds?! That's impressive as well. So far it has held up and passed this part of the testing with flying colors. I still have a couple more tests to run. This weekend I want to set it up silver side up in a sandy or clay area with no shade (this would be a good test for Out Of Doors to put it through in his area) and set one thermometer under and one out in the sun to check the difference in temperature. I also want to find a way to do a distance visibility test of the orange side, either by setting it up in a known location and view from a bluff with a range finder or.......,maybe talk to one of our local helicopter news/traffic reporters and set it up on one of their known routes and find out from what heights/distances it is visible.  I may think of another test or two.

They definitely are worth the money you pay for one. Which isn't a whole lot either. Good to keep a couple in your kit or BOB forsure.

Great review and test Mistwalker. :thumbup:

OK, I went to REI and all I ended up with was a double heatsheet.  It's all they had on the hooks, so I got to looking at the other gear and put together a mental list of birthday and Christmas possibilities.

One thing I wanted to mention about the heatsheets, are that they probably don't breath worth a darn, so keeping condensation causing breath out of the bag or blanket is probably a good idea. 

I saw a trick in a Swedish survival manual that Mountain Ron sent me. You cover your head with your coat. Take off the coat and place the inside sleeve hole over your face and breath through it. That funnels out the steam and you get fresh air to breath. Any way thats what the Swedes do.

When we used to go out in the field in the winter I'd always keep my face near the opening of the mummy bag I slept in. I'd control the size of the opening with my arm and breath through there.

Well..., today the dark grey clouds, high winds, and large amounts of liquid sunshine are precluding any heat reflection test....., hopefully tomorrow.