WildSurvive Forum
mistwalker

An Improvised Shelter; AMK Heatsheet

I am impressed maybe I should get me some. :)

I feel like they are worth the cost.

Today marks 26 days of environmental testing of the heatsheet as an improvised shelter. In the last three weeks it has been through several storms, several hard rains, and high winds a few times.

After winds heavy enought to break down these tree limbs, better pictures later after daylight.

PICT0081.jpg

PICT0083.jpg

PICT0086-1.jpg

It is still holding up pretty well with just minor damage, I think it was struck by a small limb here.

PICT0175.jpg

and here

PICT0178.jpg

Torn a little here at the ridge line.

PICT0190.jpg

But still for the most part shedding and repelling water and wind. Not bad for the investment.

PICT0183.jpg

gees and your little shelter camp is still there :woot:

Yup...., and just a little worse for the wear lol. I plan on taking it down this weekend...., I wanted to see what it looked like after thirty days. I hope to move on to other tests this weekend...., if I don't have to work.

It passed the tests that I would care about.  Means it can be reused, maybe several times and I already know that it kept me warm in 50*ish temps through the night.

Well..., it's passed more than enough to impress me. Since I plan on sending one with Sarah when she goes to Europe next summer I am going to test this one in more ways...., as many as I can think of.

Impressive test Mistwalker!  I take a break for a week or so thencome back and the tarp is STILL holding up well.  :cool:

So far, lol, I'll be taking it down this weekend...., we'll see what it looks like again right before I take it down.

Well..., I took it down today..., 37 days after puting it up. I am impressed with how well it held up, pics later when I get in from work.

Wow, 37 days.  That is impressive for a temporary piece of kit.  Still want to pick up several more of the product.  Got lots of vehicle kits, hiking bags, packs and a couple of vests that could use them.

Today this part of the environmental testing came to an end. Today, 37 days after rigging up the Heatsheet as an improvised shelter I took it down. In the last 37 days there were several rains, quite a few thunderstorms some of which came with high winds that blew the trees around quite a bit, blew several tree limbs down and caused flash flooding in the local area. Through all of this it held up really well.

Here it is before I took it down

PICT0106.jpg

There is a small rip at the edge near the ridge line.

damageatridgeline.jpg

The rip grew none at all.

PICT0108.jpg

There were no rips at all at any of the tie down points even after all of the winds

PICT0112.jpg

No holes at all from the duff, just a little discoloration

PICT0113.jpg

PICT0115.jpg

PICT0123.jpg

No major holes in the sheet at all. After all that time it is still perfectly serviceable. I think it's worth the six bucks.

PICT0117.jpg

PICT0120.jpg

Excellent review MW.  Hope you don't mind, but I'm going to post the addy to your review on a couple of other sites, so that they can get a good idea of how well this product will serve them in the field.  Thanks again for going the extra mile to make this review happen.

Thank you for your compliments, I don't mind at all. The reason I study things is not only to learn but to share with others what I learn in the process. That being said..., it should also be said that I am impressed with all of the products in the first picture shown again here.

PICT0730.jpg

While I was already impressed with the knife lol, I had only learned of the heatsheet and the golden twine a few weeks before this thread. This 200 lb test gold braided twine is pretty awesom too. It stretches very little from what I can tell, holds a knot very well, blends in with the environment at a short distance, and it is still just as strong after over forty days out in the weather (I just took it down today) as it was when I put it up. I feel it's well worth the $3.00.

Sure, whacha wanna know? Here is the quote on it from the survival sheath thread.........

"I wanted to add some cordage to this sheath so I looked around at nylon twines and cords for something small but strong. At Rock Creek Outfitters I found some small fifty foot rolls of some gold nylon braided utility cord by "Adventure 16" that is relatively small but is rated at 200 lb test. They don't take up much room whole, and they were just under $3.00 a roll."

Here is the link to the thread, just let me know what questions you have.

http://www.wildsurvive.com/outdoor-camping-forum/index.php/topic,2471.0.html

Well Dave, the gold braided cord by Adventure 16 isn't listed on their on-line store but I know they still carry it so you can contact them through email if you like. I bought it at Rock Creek Outfitters and here is a link to their online store http://www.rockcreek.com/

I wish I would have sent one of these to TS to set up in his back yard and see how much of it was left after all the winds died back down