WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Weyfarere

Weyfarere's pics

I'm starting to wonder if all the scorps in AZ headed to my house when they heard Dave was on his way there! Last night I didn't find any... but it seems there's usually a clam before the storm.

Thanks guys! The momma of the kittens is solid black. Cute little critters and hopefully will be good mousers too.

Now that Dave's back, I haven't seen ANY scorpions.  :D

I did find these bad girls outside though:

BWSpider1.jpg

BWSpider2.jpg

(A telephoto lens is a GOOD thing!) :o

You know, I could wrestle bears or alligators, pick up snakes, eat fried grasshoppers, and I have jumped out of perfectly good planes, ran around foriegn countries with a gun in hand, ridden motorcycle trails on mountains a goat wouldn't touch......BUT.........spiders just FREAK me out!!!!! They are CREEPY!!!!

Thanks Wey, now I'm going to have the heeby jeeby's for a few hours. I'll be itching in every corner and crevice!

Maybe I'll go back and look at the kitten again.....  :P

Black Widow Spider>

Although their venom is extremely potent (it is also reported to be much more potent than the venom of cobras and coral snakes), these spiders are not especially large. Compared to many other species of spiders, their chelicerae are not very large or powerful. In the case of a mature female, the hollow, needle shaped part of each chelicera, the part that penetrates the skin, is approximately 1.0 millimeters (about .04 in) long, long enough to inject the venom to a point where it can be harmful. The males, being much smaller, inject far less venom with smaller chelicerae. The actual amount injected, even by a mature female, is very small in physical volume. When this small amount of venom is diffused throughout the body of a healthy, mature human, it usually does not amount to a fatal dose (though it can produce the very unpleasant symptoms of latrodectism). Deaths in healthy adults from Latrodectus bites are relatively rare in terms of the number of bites per thousand people. Sixty-three deaths were reported in the United States between 1950 and 1959[11]. On the other hand, the geographical range of the widow spiders is very great. As a result, far more people are exposed, worldwide, to widow bites than to bites of more dangerous spiders, so the highest number of deaths worldwide are caused by members of their genus. Widow spiders have more potent venom than most spiders, and prior to the development of antivenin, 5%[12] of reported bites resulted in fatalities. The venom can cause a swelling up to 15 cm. Improvements in plumbing have greatly reduced the incidence of bites and fatalities in areas where outdoor privies have been replaced by flush toilets.

LOL!  Ok I'll try not to give the eeby-geebies to everyone with this next story. :)

A wild weekend adventure!

After spending a night some 500+ miles away from home, I awoke at sunrise to the call of nature.

Barely remembering the loo directions (or the night before for that matter), I hike out into the wilds.

I've left my survival pack back at camp and walk quietly armed only with a roll of 2-ply.

Ahhh, found it at last!

PortaLoo.jpg

Once inside the loo I begin to hear distant heavy breathing sounds coming from outside...

*Huuuuuush*  *silence*   *Huuuuuush*

Then more heavy breathing from a slightly different direction.

*Huuuuush*  *Huuush*  *Huuuuuush*

Hyper-ventilating bears maybe?  I don't want to stick around to find out and unsure as to the true

source of these sounds, considering the accoustics of a closed loo. I decide to make a quick escape!

Suddenly I find myself lost.

I look high:

Look-High.jpg

I look low:

LookLow.jpg

Trying not to panic, I find some wild edibles to sustain me.

WildEdibles.jpg

While thinking over my dire situation, I look up to see an air rescue and the source of the heavy breathing sounds!

AirRescue.jpg

They float away and I follow my footprints back to camp.

:hugegrin:

So Weyfarere,

I take it you were a official wine taster this past weekend?  And nice looking pics. Like the hotair balloons :thumbup:

Thanks!  I did "wine" just a little but "concord" that quick!

Great pics Wey..., nothing like the great outdoors, fresh grapes, and a bottle or four of good wine  :hugegrin:

...And fun times with family and friends!