WildSurvive Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Larken

Preparing Fish in the bush...

I am admittedly stoopid when it comes to fish preparation.  I haven't filleted a fish since I was about 13 (I'm 37 now).  I only know how to fry them by dipping in egg and corn flour, or baking.  I figure if I'm in the bush fishing, I'm not going to have cold eggs at hand to use for battering, and I'm not really willing to do it with robin eggs or anything.  So what I am looking for is how I would prepare fish that I have caught and filleted on a campfire in a cast iron skillet.  I can presumably have carried in dry ingredients that don't require refrigeration.  Any suggestions?

YES<YES<YES<!I have the perfect batter for you to carry in for your fishing trip. It is called House of Autry........www.House-Autry.com  You can order it on line or by phone.....1-800-849-0802.....

It is called House Autry Seafood breader.....a 2# box is $2.10...or was last time I ordered it. It is really good on fish and does not have to be refrigerated. But...............I do keep it in the freezer when not using it. It just keeps a long time that way......

It is dry ingredients........

Deep frying catfish.

cut fish into small pieces    mix flour and I use cajun mix dusting flour in galoon size zip loc bag      shake bag to cover pieces thourghly 

Heat oil to 375 degrees  add pieces one at a time carefully making sure not to boil over oil  check right away that no pieces stick to the bottom of the pan.  Some use a couple of kernels of popcorn to test oil. When the corn pops its ready.

fishcooking002jy9.jpg

fishcooking004ed0.jpg

fishcooking006ml4.jpg

fishcooking008xc7.jpg

fry till golden brown and pieces float

fishcooking013lj2.jpg

slice potatos I use this antique slicer.  They can still be found in kitchen supply stores.

fishcooking016dq9.jpg

fry potatos until brown and float.

fishcooking019ep0.jpg

Place paper towls under fish and potatos to soak up oil.

fishcooking024lr7.jpg

Wow... looks tasty... Interesting video too.  Thanks for posting.  I have a Vietnamese friend who owns a fish market, and she has a ton of different powder-based fish batters, but unfortunately, they are all Cajun style.  I don't mind spicy food, but my dad can't handle it so well, so that is why I'm looking more for a cornmeal based batter...  But I will definitely give it a try when I'm solo...

Here ya go see if this link works for ya. Ya that fat guy is me and the other fisherman is my wife Sharen.>

http://www.mydeo.com/videorequest.asp?XID=42739&CID=132004

That video is awesome, and an excelent tutorial on skinning catfish!

Well..., actualy Blue went into my favorite method of preparing fish in the bush in this thread he started. Just grilled and smoked over an open fire.

http://www.wildsurvive.com/outdoor-camping-forum/index.php/topic,2093.0.html

It looks like you've skinned catfish more than once or twice. I watched with the sound off because I was trying to get Alayna to go to sleep. Were any of those those yellow cats? One looked like a channel cat?

Ready in: < 30 minutes

Serves/Makes:   26 oz

Ingredients:

1 (24 oz.) box yellow cornmeal mix

1 tablespoon black pepper

1 tablespoon "Lawrys" seasoned salt

1 tablespoon paprika

2 tablespoons garlic powder

2 tablespoons garlic salt

Directions:

Note: garlic salt, seasoned salt contains onion flavor.

Combine all, use to coat fish before frying

Ready in: < 30 minutes

Serves/Makes:  .66 cup

Ingredients:

2/3 cup non-fat dry milk powder

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1/2 teaspoon dry mustard

2 teaspoons paprika

2 teaspoons low-sodium, chicken-flavored bouillon granules

1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning

Directions:

Mix all ingredients thoroughly. Moisten fish or skinned chicken slightly and shake in mixture.

Bake according to recipe.

Makes about 2/3 cup, enough for one chicken or several fish fillets.

It looks like you've skinned catfish more than once or twice. I watched with the sound off because I was trying to get Alayna to go to sleep. Were any of those those yellow cats? One looked like a channel cat?

They were all channel cat.

I watched a demonstration one year where a guy took 4 small catfish and cooked them in clay he dug out of the river.  He covered up the catfish with about a inch of clay and just tossed them in the coals in the campfire.  They came out remarkably good. 

~ The easiest way to cook fish on an open fire (unless you want to haul a huge pot, with cooking oil with you)  is to just wrap them up in some heavy duty aluminum foil (the kind made for grilling...  it says it on the box.)  Just put your cleaned fish on the foil, add whatever spices you want, wrap it up and seal the edges.

You can just place the foil pack right on the coals (after they've died down a bit.) Or, if you have a grilling rack, you can put the foil pack on the rack. If you punch a few small holes in it, you get the smoke effect as well. This works good especially if you haven't caught a bunch of whopper fish. Small fish can literally fall apart when you cook them. If you aren't careful they can fall right through the grill rack. So foil is realy good for keeping them out of the ashes. If you have a pan, pan frying is also good. You shouldn't need eggs in your batter. most fish batter is made to stick just by wetting the fish with water.  :thumbup:

Aluminum foil is very light, and easy to carry along. You can cook almost anything in it.  :yes:

Aluminum foil is awesome! You can make pans out of it even. But...., if you don't have any then this is the easiest way to prepare fish in the bush............., they gutted them but that's about all they did I think.

GrilledAligator-1.jpg

Thanks Kim it looks like a couple of pictures didnt load. Oh well.

Larkin cajun is only good for catfish for me and than I thin it with flour. Spicy coatings just mask the flavor on most fish. I just use flour on the rest. Cornmeal with flour sometimes on pan fish. It seems to be somewhat sweet if I use too much.

Alright that's it, I've took all I can stand....,It's been too many years since I had any crappie or bluegill rolled in corn meal and pan fried, I'm going fishing this weekend.